Car Hire in Paderborn
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Paderborn
Paderborn is a city in Germany and is located in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. The city is located in the eastern part of the state in the district of Paderborn. The city got its name after the river Pader, which rises here in Paderborn. It is the second-largest city in the region of East Westphalia-Lippe. It was founded in the 8th century by the first Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne. Today, there are still many mediaeval remains in the city and you can see that on every corner of Paderborn.
The city experienced many ups and downs in the past, but it always remained an important cultural, political and religious centre of the region. Today, it is an important university city, home to many students, which makes Paderborn a very lively city with youthful energy. Of course, Paderborn is not only a university city but much more. It is also an important industrial centre, especially in the high-tech industry. Tourism is also important to the local economy, and frankly, there is a lot to see and do here in Paderborn and the surrounding area. If you are taking a road trip through Germany, be sure to spend a few days here, or at least one day.
Besides the rich history that can be seen at every corner, especially in the old town, there is also a beautiful nature here in Paderborn and its surroundings. We should not forget to mention the source of the Pader River, which, by the way, is the shortest river in the country, only 4 kilometres long.
Paderborn is a really charming place that you should definitely visit. You can simply stroll through the mediaeval streets and sit down in a bar or have lunch in one of the many restaurants in town. But if you want to explore more, there are really many options, from museums and galleries to churches and other architectural masterpieces, and of course beautiful nature.
Basic info and car hire in Paderborn
- Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Population: 151,864
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Paderborn, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy and the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Paderborn are in good condition.
- Car hire in Paderborn: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Paderborn is at the Paderborn Lippstadt Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Paderborn!
Driving in Paderborn
Renting a car here in Paderborn is the best option if you want to explore this area properly. This is one of the best regions in Germany for those who like to travel by car. The roads are in good condition and the scenery is breathtaking, so you will really enjoy driving in Paderborn. When you get to the city, it's best to park your car in one of the many paid parking lots and then explore the city centre on foot.
Paderborn is located on the short A33 highway, which connects the E331/A44 (Dortmund-Kassel) with the E34/A2 (Duisburg-Bielefeld-Hanover).
If you want to avoid possible problems on the road, you just have to follow the rules and pay attention to the traffic signs. The signage in Germany is very clear and frequent, so you can find your way quite easily even without GPS. During rush hours, there can be some traffic jams in Paderborn, but overall the traffic in this city is not very hectic.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Germany is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to provide a copy of your driver's license when applying for the license. If you are mailing your application in, a copy of both the front and the back of the license should be included. You also must present two passport photos to get an international driver's license in Germany. This is all that you need to obtain an international license for driving in Germany.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you. At Orbit Car Hire you can buy additional coverage so you can travel throughout Germany without worry.
- Additional requirements: It is a legal requirement that vehicles have certain safety gear, such as orange vests, caution triangles, and a first aid kit. Verify with your car rental where these are located in your car. You also need to check that you have additional light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company).Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car),
- Children in the car: Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear a seatbelt. If a passenger is found without one, then the driver is held responsible with a high fine. In Germany, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children under twelve (and under 150cm) must have a booster or restraint system and be seated in the back. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: When driving in towns, the speed limit is automatically 50 km/h unless stated otherwise. When driving out of towns, the speed limit is automatically 100 km/h unless otherwise stated. NOTE: There will not always be a speed limit sign! Therefore, you need to know that as soon as you enter a village or “built-up” area that automatically means the speed limit is 50km/h! 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit.
Car Hire in Paderborn
Most popular car hire at Paderborn
The most selected hire car in Paderborn is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Paderborn are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Paderborn
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Paderborn. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Germany.
Paderborn-Bielefeld (47km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Paderborn- Münster (147km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Paderborn-Hannover (147km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Paderborn-Dortmund (107km with approximately 1 hour of drive)
Popular day trips from Paderborn
Kalletal, Hiddenhausen, Herford, Bad Pyrmont, Bad Karlshafen, Trendelburg, Twistetal, Willingen, Olsberg, Soest, Oelde, Halle (Westfalen)
What to see in Paderborn
Paderborn is a city with a rich past, so there are many great historical sites here that are worth visiting. But of course, there are also other places to visit and things to do here.
One of the main attractions of Paderborn and also one of the most visible due to its height is undoubtedly the Paderborn Cathedral. This church was built between the 8th and 13th centuries and two clear styles are recognisable: Romanesque and Gothic. The cathedral is extraordinary both from the outside and from the inside. You can admire a huge tower that is visible from all parts of the city, and when you enter the cathedral you will be enchanted by the many wonderful decorations.
Heinz Nixdorf Museumsforum is another place you should definitely visit in Paderborn. This is the largest computer museum in the world. There are more than 2000 exhibits from the beginnings of communication with Egyptian hieroglyphics to today's robotics, etc.
The Archbishop's Diocesan Museum of Paderborn is one of the oldest museums in Germany and an absolute must for all art lovers. There are many amazing works of art on display here, so you should definitely put this museum on your list of places to visit.
Museums in Kaiserpfalz are the artefacts found under the surface that you can see when you visit this place and take a walk on the glass floor that you can see through.
Other places to visit in Paderborn: Bartholomäuskapelle, Marktkirche, Paderborn Rathaus, Schloss Neuhaus, Deutsches Traktoren- und Modellauto-Museum, Busdorfkirche, Das Adam-und-Eva-Haus, The Pader River, “Kümpe”, Libori, Abdinghofkirche...
Drive your rental car beyond Paderborn
Germany or the Federal Republic of Germany as the country's official name is, is located in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe after Russia. Germany borders Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west. The country's capital and largest city is Berlin, and Germany's financial centre is Frankfurt. In many ways, Germany is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most developed countries in the world. It is the country with the largest economy in Europe and the fourth-largest economy in the world. It is a world leader in several industrial, scientific and technological fields and is both the third-largest exporter and the third-largest importer of goods.
But of course, Germany is not just an industrial and financial giant. It is a country with many opportunities in many different fields. From arts, education, tourism, sports, etc. Germany has a long and turbulent past with all kinds of events and among these events, there are some that Germans are not very proud of, such as the World War. There are many monuments, museums and places that commemorate these events and send a warning to the world that this kind of event should never happen again.
Germany consists of 16 states (Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Bavaria), and each of them has something different to offer and is really worth visiting. The country lies between the Baltic and North Seas in the north and the Alps in the south. So there really is a lot to see and do here, from the south to the north. One of the great advantages of this country is the fact that the road infrastructure here is really well developed and among the best in Europe. It is an ideal country for a road trip. You should probably do more than one road trip through Germany if you want to explore it properly, but you can be sure that you will have a great time no matter which part of the country you want to explore. You can either opt for the bigger cities in Germany, as there are a large number of cities in this country and there are really countless interesting things to see and do in most of the cities. Also, there are many festivals that take place throughout the year. So you just need to research well and make a good plan before coming here, because you really need to be well organized if you want to see and do as many things as possible.
In Germany, there are also many great options for those who prefer a more active type of vacation. For those who love the mountains, there are many great mountain trails and routes that you can explore either on your own or with a guided group. In the Alps you can also do many other activities, from climbing to mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, skating on the many great lakes, etc.
If you are not interested in the mountains, you can always visit the lakes and rivers or even try rafting or kayaking. The countryside in Germany is also beautiful and worth experiencing. You can also drive around and visit many romantic little villages where you can learn more about the German culture and traditions, meet the locals and try some local specialities. If you decide to explore the German countryside, you can also be prepared to see some amazing castles. Some of them are abandoned and only ruins remind us that the castle was here in the past, but some castles are still alive and are being renovated to house museums, galleries, etc. and are spectacular tourist attractions. An interesting fact about Germany is that it is the country with the third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Besides castles, there are fascinating churches and other majestic architectures all over the country that will simply take your breath away.
For technology freaks and lovers of the automotive industry, there are some of the most famous brands from this country whose factories and museums you can visit, e.g. BMW, Mercedez, Audi...
The country is also famous for its gastronomy and it is important to highlight two traditional German flagships in this field. The beer is undoubtedly one, with the Oktoberfest, one of the most famous festivals in the world, where record-breaking amounts of beer are sold every year, and then of course the sausage, as it is called. If you are in Germany, you should definitely try the sausage and the beer. This is German tradition and pride.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Paderborn
Paderborn is a great destination for all foodies, as there are many different restaurants in the city with many different styles of cuisine. For example, you can try some traditional Westphalian dishes, but also enjoy modern German cuisine. Of course, there are also many different restaurants that offer menus from all over the world. It is also worth mentioning the very good street food that you can enjoy here in Paderborn. So, the offer is really rich - it's up to you what you prefer.
If you are looking for a place to go out and party, Paderborn also offers many opportunities to do so. In this city, almost 10% of the inhabitants are students, so there is always a party somewhere in Paderborn.
Best restaurant in Paderborn
Steakhouse La Pampa
Bangkok Thai Restaurant
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Germany?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Germany?
The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Germany?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Germany with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Germany?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Germany?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car in Germany?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Germany?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Germany?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Alamo, Enterprise, Europcar, Buchbinder, and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Germany?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Renault Clio, VW Golf, BMW 1 series.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Germany?
Most car rentals in Germany offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Paderborn
Best of Germany