Car Hire in Würzburg
Find your car rental
Würzburg is a city in Germany. It is located in the Franconia region in the northern part of the German state of Bavaria. The first evidence of civilization in the area dates back to around 1000 B.C. The city is located on both sides of the Main River and was a residential city in the past. Today it is a vibrant university town with much to see and do. The city is very lively and the atmosphere is cheerful, thanks to the many young people who study here in Würzburg.
The city is a baroque city, which you can clearly see in the architecture. There are really many great architectures here in the city that are worth visiting. There are also countless cultural, historical and religious sites in Wuerzburg that are worth visiting. The city is a perfect blend of modern and old and you can experience that at every turn.
The so-called Romantic Road, which runs through southern Germany, also begins here. Renting a car here in Wuerzburg is undoubtedly the best option if you want to explore this region properly. The roads are in good condition and the scenery is really beautiful, so you will definitely enjoy the drive through Bavaria. This region is also famous for wine production, so you will have plenty of opportunities to discover some great wine roads here.
It is important to know that Würzburg was completely destroyed at the end of World War II, but later it was renovated and rebuilt, so today you can only see the pictures of the destroyed Wuerzburg in museums.
So if you are taking a road trip through Germany, be sure to stop in Würzburg for a few days. This could also be a very good starting point for your road trip because as mentioned before, this is the beginning of the Romantic Cycle Route. So do your research well and make a good plan before coming here. Buckle up and ride safely!
Basic info and car hire in Würzburg
- Location: Franconia Region, Germany
- Population: 126,954
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Würzburg, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy and the winters are very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Würzburg are in good condition.
- Car hire in Würzburg: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Würzburg is at the Würzburg Downtown. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Würzburg!
Driving in Würzburg
Würzburg is a great city to rent a car and start your road trip through Germany or a part of Germany, such as Bavaria. The roads here are in good condition and the city is well connected to other parts of the country. Of course, Germany also has a well-organised public transport system, so it's up to you what kind of transportation you prefer. But one thing is for sure, if you rent a car here, you will save a lot of time and you will be able to organise your trip according to your own preferences and at your own pace.
The best way to explore the city centre is on foot. You can leave your car in a public parking lot, there are several parking options in the city. Parking is secure and you will have to pay for it. There can be traffic jams around the city centre on weekends, so it will take you a little longer to find a parking spot. But if you are patient enough and also have a bit of luck, you will surely find a perfect parking spot.
Especially if you plan to explore some smaller towns around Würzburg you should definitely rent a car here. Once you leave the city and start exploring the countryside, you will simply fall in love with this area. All you have to do is follow the rules, follow the road signs and enjoy. Buckle up and drive safely!
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Germany is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to provide a copy of your driver's license when applying for the license. If you are mailing your application in, a copy of both the front and the back of the license should be included. You also must present two passport photos to get an international driver's license in Germany. This is all that you need to obtain an international license for driving in Germany.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you. At Orbit Car Hire you can buy additional coverage so you can travel throughout Germany without worry.
- Additional requirements: It is a legal requirement that vehicles have certain safety gear, such as orange vests, caution triangles, and a first aid kit. Verify with your car rental where these are located in your car. You also need to check that you have additional light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company).Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car),
- Children in the car: Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear a seatbelt. If a passenger is found without one, then the driver is held responsible with a high fine. In Germany, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children under twelve (and under 150cm) must have a booster or restraint system and be seated in the back. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: When driving in towns, the speed limit is automatically 50 km/h unless stated otherwise. When driving out of towns, the speed limit is automatically 100 km/h unless otherwise stated. NOTE: There will not always be a speed limit sign! Therefore, you need to know that as soon as you enter a village or “built-up” area that automatically means the speed limit is 50km/h! 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit.
Car Hire in Würzburg
Most popular car hire at Würzburg
The most selected hire car in Würzburg is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Würzburg are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Würzburg
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Würzburg. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Germany.
Würzburg- Nürnberg (109km with approximately 1-1,5 hours drive)
Würzburg-Frankfurt (120km with approximately 1-1,5 hours of drive)
Würzburg-Stuttgart (148km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Würzburg-Berlin (482km with approximately 5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Würzburg
Nuremberg, Regensburg, Bavaria, Hofbräuhaus, Dachau Concentration Camp, Nymphenburg Palace, Munich, Marienplatz, Rothenburg Ob der Tauber, Neuschwanstein Castle, Fussen, Lindau, Lake Constance...
What to see in Würzburg
There are many different things to see and do in Wuerzburg. Actually, there is something for every type of tourist and traveller. It's up to you what kind of holiday you prefer.
For those interested in the past and architecture, the Wuerzburg Residence is definitely worth a visit. It was built from 1720 to 1744 and is considered one of the great baroque palaces in Europe. It is also part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Another architectural masterpiece here in Wuerzburg is the Marienburg Fortress. This castle was built in the 12th century for defence purposes and later transformed into a palace and was also the seat of the prince bishops. Today you can visit the large museum in the fortress and admire many objects from the past of this city and this region.
The Prince's Garden is a beautiful garden on the bank of the Main River. The idea for this kind of symmetrical garden came from Italy.
The Old Main Bridge is a small pedestrian bridge and was the only bridge in the city until the middle of the 19th century. This bridge connects the old town of Wuerzburg with the old fishermen's quarter.
Other places to visit in Würzburg: Museum für Franken, Würzburg Cathedral, Hofkirche, Marienkapelle, Kollegiatstift Neumünster, Martin von Wagner Museum, Schloss Veitshöchheim, Rathaus Würzburg, Käppele, Museum am Dom, Röntgen Memorial Site...
Drive your rental car beyond Würzburg
Germany, or the Federal Republic of Germany, as the country's official name is, is located in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe, just after Russia. Germany borders Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west. The country's capital and largest city is Berlin, and Germany's financial centre is Frankfurt. In many ways, Germany is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most developed countries in the world. It is the country with the largest economy in Europe and the fourth-largest economy in the world. It is a world leader in several industrial, scientific and technological sectors and is both the third-largest exporter and the third-largest importer of goods.
But of course, Germany is not only an industrial and financial giant. It is a country with many opportunities in many different fields. From arts, education, tourism, sports, etc. Germany has a long and turbulent past with all kinds of events and among these events, there are some that Germans are not very proud of, such as the World War. There are many monuments, museums and places that remind people of these events and send a warning to the world that this kind of event should never happen again.
Germany consists of 16 states (Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Bavaria), and each of them has something different to offer and is really worth visiting. The country lies between the Baltic and North Seas in the north and the Alps in the south. So there is really a lot to see and do here, from the south to the north. One of the great advantages of this country is the fact that the road infrastructure here is really well developed and among the best in Europe. This is an ideal country for a road trip. You should probably do more than one road trip through Germany if you want to explore it properly, but you can be sure that you will have a great time no matter which part of the country you choose to explore. You can either choose to explore bigger cities in Germany, as there are a large number of cities in this country and in most of the cities there are really countless interesting things to see and do. There are also many festivals that take place throughout the year. So you just need to research well and make a good plan before you come here because you really need to be well organized if you want to see and do as many things as possible.
In Germany, there are also many great options for those who prefer a more active type of vacation. For those who love the mountains, there are many great mountain trails and routes that you can explore either on your own or with a guided group. There are also many other activities you can do in the Alps, from climbing to mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating on many great lakes, etc.
If you are not interested in the mountains, you can always visit the lakes and rivers or even try rafting or kayaking. The countryside in Germany is also beautiful and worth experiencing. You can also drive around and visit many romantic little villages where you can learn more about the German culture and traditions, meet the locals and try some local specialities. If you decide to explore the German countryside, you can also be prepared to see some amazing castles. Some of them are abandoned and only ruins remind visitors that the castle was here in the past, but some castles are still alive and being renovated to house museums, galleries, etc. and are a spectacular tourist attraction. An interesting fact about Germany is that it is the country with the third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Besides castles, there are fascinating churches and other majestic architectures all over the country that will simply take your breath away.
For technology freaks and lovers of the automotive industry, there are some of the most famous brands from this country whose factories and museums you can visit, e.g. BMW, Mercedez, Audi...
The country is also famous for its gastronomy and it is important to highlight two traditional German flagships in this field. The beer is undoubtedly one, with the Oktoberfest, one of the most famous festivals in the world, where record-breaking amounts of beer are sold every year, and then, of course, the sausage, as it is called. If you are in Germany, you should definitely try the sausage and the beer. This is German tradition and pride.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Würzburg
Würzburg is a city with a very rich gastronomic offer. There are many different restaurants in Würzburg and each of them offers something unique. You can either enjoy traditional German cuisine or go to a restaurant that offers dishes from other parts of the world. For example, there are also some very good Italian restaurants in the city. You can also find delicious street food on the streets. So, Wuerzburg is a really good gastronomic destination.
The city is located in the middle of one of the most famous German wine regions. And of course, you can taste some fantastic wines here. There are several places in and around the city where you can enjoy some of the best German wines.
This city is also full of young people who study here. Thanks to this fact, there are also some very lively clubs and discos in the city, so if you are looking for a party, you will definitely find it in Würzburg.
Best restaurant in Würzburg
Restaurant & Weinhaus Stachel
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Germany?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Germany?
The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Germany?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Germany with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Germany?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Germany?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car in Germany?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Germany?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Germany?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Alamo, Enterprise, Europcar, Buchbinder, and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Germany?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Renault Clio, VW Golf, BMW 1 series.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Germany?
Most car rentals in Germany offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Würzburg
Best of Germany