Car Hire In Evora
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Evora
Evora is a wonderful downtown and the Capital of the south-central Alentejo region in Portugal. With over 56.000 residence living in Evora, it is a smaller town giving a great vibe and is wonderful to explore if you want more of a quiet town in Portugal. Exploring the city on foot is rather easy, but we recommend hiring a car to explore all of what the Alentejo region has to offer.
If you are considering renting a car in Lisbon and exploring the surrounding cities, you will have no problems. There are a variety of car rental companies, such as SadoRent, Guerin, Europcar and Carwiz Rent.a Car.
Basic info and car hire in Evora
- Location: South-central Alentejo region in Portugal
- Population: 56.596 (2021)
- Official language: Portuguese and Mirandese.
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: Mediterranean climate. Warm summers (above 68°F / 20°C), mild winters (54°F / 12°C) and pleasant spring and autumn (above 59 °F / 15°C).
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés are mostly equipped with Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions:
- Roads are quite poorly maintained in some areas.
- Car hire in Evora: Car Hire in Evora is easy and simple with Orbit Car HIre. You can find cheap car hire prices with strong rental companies in Evora Downtown. Find your car hire with Carwiz, SadoRent, Guerin and Europcar in Evora Downtown. Please note that rental prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to get a cheap last-minute deal. Find the best deal on car hire in Evora!
Driving in Evora
There are two toll systems in Portugal. The traditional one is called Via Verde (Green Lane). These toll lanes are marked with green V signs. You can pay with cash, credit cards or prepaid cards while driving. To use a Via Verde lane, you must purchase or rent an electronic transponder or vignette at all CTT Post Office and Via Verde stores. Do not use the Via Verde lanes if you do not have the Via Verde transponder. Other roads have electronic tolls only, meaning there are no toll booths and you cannot pay while driving. The devices placed at the beginning of these highways detect passing vehicles. They are marked with a black car with three expanding bars. Most car rental companies in Portugal have Via Verde transponders pre-installed in their vehicles. If you want to rent a car in Portugal, you should still check with the car rental company about how their systems work with both toll systems.
Driving in Evora is fairly easy and simple. Road conditions are well maintained and there is a lot to see. Find your affordable car hire in Evora.
- Age limits: 21 (minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. In order to hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a driving licence for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU licence holder.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving licence and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Portugal).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, reflective vests and hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required while driving and talking on the phone.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seatbelt. Children under the age of twelve or shorter than 4ft 11in (1.50 metres) can only travel in the front passenger seat if they are in a special rear-facing children’s seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right side.
- Lights: Headlights are not turned on unless you are in a tunnel or during conditions of poor visibility.
- General speed limits: 75mph (120kph) on motorways, 55mph (90kph) outside cities and 30mph (50kph) in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: Parking your car in the historic centre is almost impossible due to the narrow streets, but there are many underground car parks and there are pay and display car parks marked with blue lines where you can leave your hire car.
Car Hire in Evora
Most popular car hire at Evora
The most selected hire car in Evora is the Fiat Panda with the Fiat 500 and Opel Corsa also being a popular option. The most popular car type in Evora is the Economy car category.
Popular Driving Routes
Top One-Way car hire from Evora
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Evora. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Portugal.
- Evora - Lisbon (137km with approximately 1.5 - 2 hours of drive)
- Evora - Porto (407km with approximately 4-hour drive)
- Evora - Faro (226-288km with approximately 2.3-hour drive)
What to see in Evora
There are so many things to see in Evora. Here is a shortlist of recommendations of places worth visiting while exploring the views of Evora. Évora Roman Temple, located at the highest point of the city. Historic Centre, get the atmosphere of the old historic town of Evora. Praça do Giraldo, the main square of Evora where the walking paths were made in the 16th century.
Drive your rental car beyond Evora
If you are looking to find some beaches and amazing views while driving. Then we recommend the following route that takes around 7 hours to drive. Tavira - Lagos/Ponta da Piedade) - Ponta de Sagres - Arrifana (near Aljezur) - Odeceixe - Zambujeira do Mar - Vila Nova de Mil Fontes - Porto Covo - Évora. This is a wonderful drive with many amazing beaches to stop and relax at.
You can also drive your car hire close to the Spanish borders where you will find a UNESCO Heritage in the town of Mértola. If you are looking for a day trip to Lagos, keep in mind that the toll roads are electronic payments.
Enjoy the culture in Evora
Where to eat, drink, and party in Evora
Portuguese cuisine revolves around fresh fish, seafood and spices such as saffron, cinnamon and chilli. Find some of the best restaurants in Evora, such as, Taberna Típica
Quarta-feira, Botequim da Mouraria, Tábua do Naldo and Pizza-Mor Évora. If you are looking for the best cafes is Evora, we recommend Cantinho da Tété Tasquinha e Artesanato, Cafe Europa, Delta Cafés Évora and Chão das Covas.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Portugal?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Portugal?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in Portugal?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Portugal with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Portugal?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Portugal?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
Are there any hidden fees in my Portugal car hire?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is the cheapest rental car in Portugal?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as VW Up, Fiat 500, and Peugeot 108 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Portugal?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, OK rent a car, Centauro, Guerin, SadoRent and AirAuto.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Portugal?
Most car hires in Portugal offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Evora
Best of Portugal