Car Hire in Zürich
Find your car rental
Zürich is the largest city in Switzerland and the capital of the canton of Zurich. It is located in the north-central of the country at the northwestern tip of Lake Zurich. The municipality has approximately 400,032 inhabitants, an urban agglomeration of 1.315 million and the Zürich metropolitan area 1.83 million. Zürich is a hub for railways, roads and air traffic. Both Zurich Airport and railway station are the largest and busiest in the country.
Permanently settled for over 2000 years, the history of Zürich can be traced back to its founding by the Roman Empire in 15 BC as a military camp known as Turicum. The city expanded during the 19th century, culminating in its promotion to a municipality in 1866 and incorporating neighbouring municipalities on 1 January 1893.
The economic growth of Zürich has been remarkable since World War II. Particularly during the last three decades, its population increased more than any other city in Switzerland. Today, Zürich is an important financial centre and a popular tourist destination. It is ranked as the world's fifteenth most expensive city for expatriate employees and ranks among the top cities with the highest quality of living.
The official language of Zürich is German, but the primary spoken language is the local Swiss German dialect. English is also widely spoken and understood. Zürich has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons. Summers are warm and sometimes humid with occasional showers, while winters are cold, cloudy and snowy. The best time to visit Zürich is in the spring or autumn when the weather is milder.
Basic info and car hire in Zürich
- Location: Switzerland
- Population: 402,762 (2017)
- Official language: German, Italian, French, Romansh
- Currency: Swizz franc
- Weather: The weather in Zürich is usually calm and cloudy, with occasional rain. The average temperature in summer is around 20-25 degrees Celsius (68-77 degrees Fahrenheit). It is typically about 0-5 degrees Celsius (32-41 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter. Snow is not uncommon in the city, especially in the colder months. Overall, the climate in Zürich is relatively mild compared to other parts of Switzerland.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Zurich are generally in good condition. However, there are some areas where potholes and other damage can be found. These areas are typically well-marked and drivers can avoid them if they are aware of the potential hazards. In general, however, the roads in Zurich are safe and easy to navigate.
- Car hire in Zürich: There are plenty of car hire companies in Zürich, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Zürich's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Zürich is at the airport.
Driving in Zürich
Zürich is one of the most scenic places to drive in Switzerland. The city is located on the banks of Lake Zurich and surrounded by the pristine Alps. As a result, going to Zürich is a beautiful and challenging experience. The roads are often very steep and winding, making it necessary to take your time and drive carefully. But the views from behind the wheel are simply breathtaking.
If you're planning on driving in Zürich, rent a car with GPS. It will come in handy when navigating the city's many hills and narrow streets. And remember to pack your camera! You'll want to capture the stunning views of the Alps as you drive through this picturesque city.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19 with Europcar. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. A Young/Senior Driver Fee of CHF 20.00 per day applies to drivers aged 19-25. With Enterprise and Alamo, the minimum age is 21.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not a European Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements:
- Children in the car: All children under the age of 12 must be properly secured in an approved child seat when travelling in a vehicle. There are a number of different types of child seats available, and it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your child's age, height and weight. If you are renting a car, you may be able to request a child seat from the rental company. Otherwise, you will need to bring your own.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: The general speed limit in Zurich is 50 km/h. This limit applies to all vehicles, including cars and motorcycles, unless otherwise posted. In residential areas, the speed limit is often reduced to 30 or 40 km/h. Drivers must always yield to pedestrians and should use extra caution when driving near schools, playgrounds, and other areas where children are present. When passing through construction zones, drivers must slow down to a safe speed as determined by the workers present. Drivers caught speeding can expect to receive a hefty fine.
- Parking suggestions: There are plenty of parking spaces in Zürich, but finding an empty one can be a challenge. The best way to find a spot is to use the Parky app. If you're looking for a place to leave your car for a few hours, there are several paid parking garages located near the city centre.
Car Hire in Zürich
Most popular car hire at Zürich
The most selected hire car in Zürich is the Volkswagen Polo, with the Seat Ibiza and Renault Captur also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Zürich are economy and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Zürich
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Zürich. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Switzerland.
- Zürich - Bern (123km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Zürich - Geneva (278km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Zürich - Basel (88km, approx. 1-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Zürich
Several popular day trips can be taken from Zürich. One option is to head to the nearby city of Lucerne. This charming city is located right on Lake Lucerne. It is home to many iconic sights, such as the Chapel Bridge and the Lion Monument. Another popular option is to take a trip to Mount Pilatus. This mountain offers stunning views of the Swiss Alps, and there are several ways to reach the summit, including by cable car, train, or even hiking. Finally, another excellent option for a day trip from Zürich is to visit the Rhine Falls. These massive waterfalls are located just outside the city and make for a great excursion.
What to see in Zürich
There is plenty to see and do in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. The city is home to several different attractions, ranging from historical landmarks to modern-day museums. Visitors can also enjoy various activities, such as shopping or dining in one of the many restaurants located throughout the city.
Some of the most popular tourist destinations in Zürich include the Swiss National Museum, Lake Zurich, and the Old Town. Other notable attractions include the Zoo Zurich, the University of Zurich, and the Bahnhofstrasse.
When it comes to shopping, Zürich offers a wide variety of options. The city is home to several different department stores and shopping centres and several different markets. Visitors can find everything from clothes and accessories to food and drink while shopping in Zürich.
Dining in Zürich is also a popular activity for visitors. The city is home to many restaurants, ranging from casual cafes to fine dining establishments. So no matter what type of cuisine you are looking for, you will find it in Zürich.
Whether you are looking to explore the city’s historical landmarks or simply enjoy some of the modern-day attractions, there is plenty to see and do in Zürich. With so many different options available, you will find something that interests you during your visit to this Swiss city.
Drive your rental car beyond Zürich
There are many excellent road trip options from Zurich, Switzerland. Some of the most popular destinations include the Swiss Alps, Lake Geneva, and the Bernese Oberland.
One of the best things about road tripping in Switzerland is that the country is incredibly scenic. No matter which route you take, you're sure to be treated to stunning views. And, because Switzerland is such a small country, it's easy to see many different places in a short amount of time.
If you're looking for an adventure-filled road trip, consider heading to the Swiss Alps. This area is home to some of the tallest mountains in Europe, so it's perfect for hikers and climbers.
For a more relaxed road trip, head to Lake Geneva. Beautiful towns and villages surround this large lake, so there's plenty to see and do. You can also take advantage of the many excellent spas in the area.
Finally, the Bernese Oberland is an ideal destination for those who love nature. This region is home to some of the most stunning glaciers in Switzerland and numerous hiking trails. And, if you're lucky, you might even spot some wildlife like deer or ibex.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Zürich
Whether you're looking for a quick bite or a leisurely meal, there is no shortage of great places to eat and drink in Zürich, whether you're looking for quick bite or a leisurely meal. The city's restaurants offer a variety of cuisines from all over the world, so you're sure to find something to your taste. There are also plenty of bars and clubs where you can enjoy a night out on the town.
If you're looking for a quick snack, there are plenty of cafes and bakeries around Zürich where you can grab a bite. Many restaurants are serving Swiss, Italian, Chinese, Indian, and other international cuisines for something more substantial. And if you want to enjoy a leisurely meal, several fine dining establishments will offer you a memorable dining experience.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Switzerland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Switzerland?
All car groups are available for renters between the ages of 21 - 80 except intermediate, standard, full size, premium, and luxury vehicles which are available for renters aged 25 and older. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 80 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Switzerland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Switzerland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Switzerland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Switzerland?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
How do I get the cheapest car in Switzerland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can raise the closer to the travel period gets.
What is the cheapest rental car in Switzerland?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Volkswagen Polo and Hyundai i20 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Switzerland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Switzerland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Volkswagen Polo, Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus Wagon, and Opel Mokka.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Switzerland?
Most car rentals in Switzerland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Zürich 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Zürich
Best of Switzerland