Car Hire in Valletta
Find the best deals in Valletta
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Valletta
Valletta is the capital of Malta. Not only is it the capital, but it is also the largest city in the country in every sense of the word. It is a wonderful tourist destination and a perfect place for a holiday away from the hustle and bustle of working life. The architecture of this city will blow you away, as there are so many extraordinary buildings to see here that will give you a unique experience.
Basic info and car hire in Valletta
- Location: Malta
- Population: 5.730
- Official language: Maltese/English
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Malta's weather is typically the Mediterranean. Summertime, the island sees hot dry conditions with temperatures reaching up to 32°C in July and August; however, winter brings milder but still humid air conditions that only drop down around 15 - 17 °C between December-February
- Holidays in Valletta: Here you can read all about holidays in Malta.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road condition in Malta has improved in recent years. You will still find potholes or degrading surfaces, but it is less than what it used to be. People in Malta are known to have quite aggressive driving styles, so keep it in mind and be careful. You will notice that using turn signals is not common, but if you adjust to their driving methods and keep full focus on the driving, you will find that it is relatively simple to drive in Malta.
- Car hire in Valletta: Car hire in Valletta is a great idea to explore all of what Malta has to offer. The most common pick up location is at Malta Airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices, so it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Driving in Valletta
With the road conditions continuously improving each year, it only gets easier to drive in Valletta. You will still find some potholes that need to be avoided but it is not common anymore. All roads in Valletta are marked with signs making it easier to drive there. Maltese have a more aggressive driving style than in most countries in Europe, making it challenging at times to drive there. It is always important to keep full attention to the driving and you will quickly learn how to adjust to their driving style. The legal driving limit in Malta is 0.8% BAC, the same as in the UK. Speed limits in Malta are 80 km/h on the open road and 50 km/h in built-up areas, you may find speed cameras on the open roads since there are over 25 units of speed cameras across Malta.
It's always good to book a car in advance so it does not sell out (which can happen, especially in high season).
- Age limits: The age limit to hire a car in Malta is 21 years of age. Many agencies will either charge a young driver fee if you are under 25 years of age. Young driver fee in Malta varies between rental companies, going from 10.00 EUR per day to 30.00 EUR per day. Drivers must have held a driving license for a minimum of 1 year to rent a car in Malta.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence. The translation must be issued by an Embassy or Consulate.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company in case your policy does not cover you when driving in the Azores Islands).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels and a hands-free kit with hearing aids are required if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: You can find all information about children in the car in Malta here.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Headlights must be on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: Speed limits in Malta are 80 km/h on the open road and 50 km/h in built-up areas
- Parking suggestions: Parking in downtown Valletta can be difficult. You can find paid parking to make it easier to park. Parking in Valletta is free after 2 pm and before 8 am every day.
Car Hire in Valletta
Most popular car hire at Valletta
The most selected hire car in Valletta is the Peugeot 108, with the Chevrolet Spark and Fiat Panda also being a popular options. The most popular car type in Valletta in the mini-car category.
Automatic car hire in Valletta is a great option. You can find your Automatic rental car in Valletta with Orbit Car Hire.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Valletta
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Valletta. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Malta.
What to see in Valletta
Valetta is the capital of Malta. The capital has many historic buildings and structures. The top 10 most important mediaeval structures are St John's Co-Cathedral, St John's Bastion, the City Gate, the Archbishop's Palace, the National Museum of Archaeology, the Auberge d'Italie, the Manoel Theatre, the Great Siege Monument and the Upper Barrakka Gardens. It is one of the most important tourist destinations in Europe.
It is a small town separated from other towns by the sea. It is always crowded as if all the people live in it. The main square and the shopping streets are here. You can find everything here: luxury goods as well as souvenirs for a penny. There are several interesting places near Valletta: Mdina - an old castle; Buskett - a nature reserve; Mgarr - a port with ferries that take tourists to Sicily and Gozo (Malta). Boats go there every day: then we sit on the deck and enjoy the beautiful view of the bay of Valletta.
Drive your rental car beyond Valletta
Driving around Malta only takes about 1-hour, so renting a car for 1 day can be an option. Although we recommend hiring a car for a longer period so you can enjoy Malta without the stress of returning the car right away. There are many places worth visiting in Malta by car, Medieval Walled City of Mdina is something everybody simply must check out while in Malta. Take the short drive to Birgu and see all that it has to offer. Take a drive to St. Peter's Pool, a natural swimming pool with amazing views, perfect for snorkelling, diving or just swimming. The pool is just 30 minutes away from Valletta by car. Looking to relax at the beach? Drive down to Pretty Bay and relax by the warm ocean. Dingli Cliffs have some breathtaking views one simply must see!
Enjoy the culture in Valletta
Where to eat, drink, and party in Valletta
There are many restaurants on the island, ranging from the upscale to the simple (and of course somewhere in between). Maltese cuisine is best known for its use of fresh fish and seafood caught just off the coast. Local staples include pastizzi (a type of filo pastry), risotto/maqluba (rice cooked with vegetables, meat or fish), rabbit stew (stewed with celery, onions, carrots and potatoes), taralli (fried bread dough) and all manner of other baked goods. The morning meal usually consists of eggs cooked to your liking and served on toast with red pepper flakes, but you can also get mqarrunsesam rolls). For lunch (around 12:30-2:00) you will find people in the streets eating their "ftira" (a large, round bread topped with tomatoes, cheese and sometimes tuna). Most restaurants are open all day to serve hungry travellers.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Malta?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Malta?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for renters between 21-24 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire. Accidents are something we do not control, therefore it is important to keep in mind what kind of coverage you have.
Do I need car insurance in Malta?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Malta with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Malta?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Malta?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Malta?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Malta?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 208, and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Malta?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Keddy, Sicily by Car, Auto union, and Abbycar.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Malta?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Aygo, Fiat Panda, Peugeot 208, Opel Corsa, Fiat Panda.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Malta?
Most car rentals in Malta offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
How much to rent a car in Malta?
At Orbit Car Hire we have found rent a car prices down to 6 EUR per day. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices, so it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Do you need to hire a car in Malta?
The short answer can be no. However, if you would like to explore all of what the island has to offer, then renting a car is worth it. Prices are known to be cheap, and they will give you the freedom to visit more places including hidden gems at your own pace.
Can I take my hire car to Gozo from Malta?
Yes, you can take your rental car to Gozo. We do recommend that you speak to the agents at the counter before you head out. They can give you all the necessary information you need while taking the ferry to Gozo.