Car Hire in Budapest
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals Car Hire Companies in Budapest
Budapest is the capital of Hungary. With an area of 525 square kilometres and around 1.7 million inhabitants, it is the 7th most populous city in the European Union. An important source of income for many Hungarians living there is tourism: Budapest attracts about 8.9 million international tourists annually. The city celebrated its 800th anniversary in 1988. To mark the occasion, the Hungarian Parliament building was built, which is still one of the city's most important landmarks, and the first metro line was opened.
The official language is Hungarian, which belongs to the Uralic language family and is very different from most other European languages. The main religion in Hungary is Christianity. Hungary has a market-based mixed economy, which until 2009 was one of the fastest-growing economies within the EU. World-famous tourist cities include Budapest, Kecskemét, Siófok and Szeged. Budapest is an important centre for music, film, theatre, dance and visual arts. The city has more than 20 museums, about 100 galleries and several theatres.
Basic info and car hire in Budapest
- Location: Central Hungary
- Population: 1.700.000
- Official language: Hungarian
- Currency: Hungarian Forint
- Weather: Budapest, Hungary is a fascinating European country with an interesting climate that changes throughout the course of the year. In summer it's warm and sunny while winter brings cool breezes and white snowfall to this historic city on The Danube River The average annual temperature varies from -3°C - 27°C
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Roads in Budapest are in decent condition. In Hungary, you may find many potholes on the roads so it is important to be aware of it to avoid unforeseen damages.
- Car hire in Budapest: One tip that some people might consider when hiring a car is to book online before you go anywhere else. This way you may be able to get a better price than booking over the counter/phone etc. The most common pick-up location in Budapest is the airport.
Driving in Budapest
Budapest is a beautiful city with many tourists, so it makes sense to rent a car when you travel there. This is because public transport can be very crowded and difficult to use, especially in more remote places. It makes life much easier if you have your own transport, even if it is only for part of your stay. Driving in Budapest is safe, with each year it becomes even safer. Potholes are common in Hungary, meaning that it is important that you keep aware while driving to avoid unforeseen damages due to them. In urban areas of Budapest, the speed limit is 50km/h, in rural areas it is 90km/h and on motorways, it is 110-130km/h. Hungary has a zero-tolerance for drinking and driving. So you are not allowed to have any alcohol in your blood while driving in Hungary.
- Age limits: Minimum age to hire a car in Budapest is 21 years old. You must have held your Driving Licence for a minimum of 1 full year(s).
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if the National Driving Licence you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving Licence, e.g., it is in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: You need to have a driver's license, proof of insurance, proof of ownership and an international driver permit, if relevant.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle (2 are required for all vehicles registered in Spain and 1 if coming from abroad), high visibility vest (recently made compulsory)- First aid kit (not actually compulsory, but we strongly recommend you have it with you, just in case).
- Children in the car: Child seats are required for children under 3 and shorter than 150 cm
- Driving side of the road: Right side.
- Lights: Dipped headlights must be on at all times even on motorways
- General speed limits: In Urban areas 50km, in rural areas 90km/h and on motorways 110-130km/h.
- Parking suggestions: Budapest is similar to other European cities, you may find it challenging to find parking.
Car Hire in Budapest
Most popular car hire at Budapest
The most selected hire car in Budapest is the Opel Corsa, with the Kia Picanto and Volkswagen Gold also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Budapest are Economy and Compact cars.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Budapest
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Budapest. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Hungary.
- Budapest - Bratislava (200km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Budapest - Klagenfurt (470km, approx. 5-hour drive)
- Budapest - Vienna (250km, approx. 3-hour drive)
- Budapest - Zagreb (350km, approx. 4-hour drive)
What to see in Budapest
Budapest is the capital and most populous city of Hungary. It has a great cultural heritage that can be visited by everyone and has many architectural styles that you may not see anywhere else.
The Basilica is one of Budapest's top sights. It stands out for its unique architecture and historical background. A visit to the Basilica can take half a day as there is so much to learn about it and enjoy its beauty. The Fisherman's Bastion is also not to be missed: it offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the entire city, especially at night when everything is illuminated. The Great Market Hall is an ideal place to buy souvenirs and gifts for your loved ones, while the Chain Bridge is a pleasant walk across the Danube to reach Buda Castle on the other side.
The Hungarian National Museum has an extensive collection of historical artefacts that should not be missed. A river cruise may be just what you need after a day spent wandering around Budapest: It offers relaxation and stunning views from the ship. There are so many things to do in this city, but if we had to choose just five, these would be them!
Drive your rental car beyond Budapest
Road trips from Budapest are great fun because there is so much to see and do. The natural beauty of the Hungarian countryside is breathtaking, with rolling hills, lush forests, like in the Mátra Mountains, where you can visit the famous viewpoint called Hűvoesvoelgy with its stunning views. A great way to explore Hungarian culture is to visit one of the many World Heritage Sites listed at UNESCO throughout the country.
You can easily explore Hungary by car as the country is convenient to travel around. The roads are in good condition and there are strict rules against drinking and driving, so you do not have to worry about getting into accidents. So round up your friends for a road trip from Budapest! Look forward to great memories that you will cherish forever.
Enjoy the culture in Budapest
Where to eat, drink, and party in Budapest
Budapest is the capital of Hungary and the largest city in the country. The city lies on the banks of the Danube at an altitude of 1,725 feet above sea level. Budapest is not only a popular tourist destination but also a famous place for gourmets.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.