Car Hire in Sarajevo
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Sarajevo
Sarajevo is the capital and largest city of Bosnia and Herzegovina with 275,524 inhabitants within its administrative boundaries. Greater Sarajevo, including Sarajevo Canton and Eastern Sarajevo, has 555,210 inhabitants. Nestled in the Sarajevo Valley in Bosnia, the city is surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and lies along the Miljacka River in the heart of Southeastern Europe and the Balkans.
Sarajevo is located in the Sarajevo valley, the Sarajevo Canton. The city is located along the Miljacka River in the southeast of Europe
Basic info and car hire in Sarajevo
- Location: Sarajevo is located in the Sarajevo valley in Bosnia itself, surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and situated on the Miljacka River
- Population: 275,524
- Official language: Bosnian is one of the standard versions of the central South Slavic language known as Serbo-Croatian. It is spoken by 2 million people, mainly Bosniaks in Bosnia and Herzegovina and elsewhere. Bosnian is the official language in Bosnia and Herzegovina, along with Serbian and Croatian.
- Currency: Convertible mark is the currency of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Weather: Sarajevo is located in the heart of Europe, and as such, the weather can vary greatly. In summer, temperatures can reach 30 degrees Celsius, while in winter they can drop below freezing. It rains frequently in Sarajevo, so pack your raincoat when you visit the city!
- Internet coverage: If you are moving to Sarajevo, make sure you do your research and find an Internet service provider that will give you the coverage you need. With a little planning, you can enjoy all that this vibrant city has to offer without worrying about your Internet connection
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Sarajevo are generally good, but there are some areas to watch out for. The city is full of potholes and many of the roads are in poor condition. In addition, snow and ice can make driving conditions very treacherous during the winter months. Drivers should be careful when driving in Sarajevo.
- Car hire in Sarajevo: When it comes to car hire in Sarajevo, you need to consider a few things. First of all, the city is relatively small and traffic is not too bad, so a car is definitely a good way to get around. However, parking can be a bit of a challenge, so be prepared to find a parking spot or pay for parking. The best place to hire a car in Sarajevo is the airport, where you will find a number of car rental companies. However, there are also agencies in the city centre. Be sure to compare prices before you rent, as rates can vary widely.
Driving in Sarajevo
Driving in Sarajevo can be challenging, but it's also an adventure. The city is full of curves and you never know what you will see around the next corner. But that's what makes driving in Sarajevo so exciting. If you are up for the challenge, consider these tips for driving in Sarajevo:
- Pay attention to the road signs. They will help you find your way around the city.
- Drive defensively. There are many pedestrians and bicyclists on the streets, so drive extra carefully.
- Watch out for potholes! They're everywhere in Sarajevo, so take your time and drive slowly.
Our Selected Partners
Trusted Suppliers in Sarajevo
Orbit Car Hire connects you with the biggest brands and best local brands for your Sarajevo car hire. We offer you to choose from a wide variety of different vehicle classes, so you can find a rental car that suits your needs and budget.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Sarajevo
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Sarajevo. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Bosnia and Hercegovina .
- Sarajevo to Banja Luka
- Sarajevo to Mostar
- Sarajevo to Tuzla
- Sarajevo to Ilidža
Popular day trips from Sarajevo
There are many great day trips you can take from Sarajevo. Here are some of our favourites:
- visit the charming villages of Jajce and Vrelo Bosne.
- Drive to the historic city of Mostar and visit the iconic bridge.
- explore the beautiful nature in Sutjeska National Park.
- drive to the breathtaking Kravice waterfalls.
- visit the town of Zenica, which dates back to the Ottoman period.
- take a trip to Ilidza and explore the beautiful parks and lakes.
What to see in Sarajevo
There is much to see in Sarajevo. The city has a rich history and there are many historical and cultural sites to discover. Some of the must-see sights in Sarajevo are: The Old Town - This is the historic heart of the city with its narrow streets, medieval buildings and lively markets.
- The Latin Bridge - This bridge was the scene of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, which sparked World War I.
- The Sarajevo War Museum - This museum chronicles the siege of Sarajevo, which was one of the longest sieges in modern history.
- Gazi Husrev-Beg Mosque - This is the largest mosque in Bosnia and Herzegovina and one of the most important buildings from the Ottoman period in the city.
- The Sarajevo Tunnel Museum - This museum tells the story of the Sarajevo Tunnel, which was used to bypass the siege of the city during the Bosnian War.
Drive your rental car beyond Sarajevo
If you are looking for an unforgettable driving experience, Sarajevo is the place for you. This charming city is located in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and with its winding streets and mountainous terrain, it's the perfect place to put your driving skills to the test.
Whether you hire a car or bring your own, there are plenty of great roads to explore around Sarajevo. In the north of the city, you'll find the scenic Trescavica Road, which offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. If you want a more challenging ride, head south to Mount Igman, where you can test your skills on the winding mountain roads.
If you are looking for an off-road adventure, head to Konjic - about an hour's drive from Sarajevo. In Konjic, you'll find some of the most breathtaking scenery in Bosnia and Herzegovina, including mountains, rivers and forests. There are several 4x4 routes in the area, perfect for exploring by car.
A great place to check out is Jajce, about two hours from Sarajevo. This small town is home to a stunning waterfall and a number of historical sites. There are also many great restaurants and cafes in the area for you to enjoy. So if you are looking for an adventure away from the city, be sure to take a drive beyond Sarajevo.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Sarajevo
When it comes to food, Sarajevo is a mix of traditional Bosnian cuisine and flavours from the former Yugoslavia. Among the most popular dishes are ćevapi (small sausages made of beef or lamb), Pljeskavica (a hamburger-like dish made of pork or beef), and burek (a savoury pastry filled with meat, cheese, or vegetables).
When it comes to drinks, you can not go wrong with a glass of rakija (a type of brandy) or Turkish coffee. And when it comes to nightlife, Sarajevo has something for everyone. There are many trendy bars and clubs, but also traditional pubs and taverns.
Best restaurant in Sarajevo
The kind of city best explored on foot. And when your feet get tired, there's nothing better than trying the local cuisine to refuel. Here are some of the best restaurants in Sarajevo.
- Pizzeria Regina Margherita
- Burger bar Dodo
- Kebab house
- Zlatna Ribica (The Golden Fish)
- Novakovic Bakery & Restaurant
- Zeljo moja sarajevo
- Baletna skola
- Restoran Kod Eseva (At Ese's)
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 70 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Bosnia and Hercegovina with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the main driver's name. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit Car Hire you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Fiat Panda and VW Polo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Hertz, Firefly, Europcar, Keddy, and Autounion car rentals.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Bosnia and Hercegovina?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Fiat Panda, Volkswagen Polo, Renault Clio, and Volkswagen Golf.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Bosnia and Hercegovina?
Most car rentals in Bosnia and Hercegovina offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Sarajevo 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Sarajevo
Best of Bosnia and Herzegovina