Car Hire in Maceio
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Maceio
Maceió, the capital of the Brazilian state of Alagoas, is a vibrant and culturally rich destination that offers much more than its famous tourist attractions. While Maceió's stunning beaches and natural beauty are well known, there is also a whole world to discover beyond the tourist hotspots. In this article we will introduce you to the local flavor and unique aspects of Maceió, ensuring that your visit is enriched with experiences that go beyond the ordinary.
1. Culinary delights:
Maceió has a diverse and delicious culinary scene. Don't miss the opportunity to try traditional dishes such as "sururu com pirão" (a tasty seafood stew), "bolo de goma" (cassava cake), and "queijo coalho" (grilled cheese on a stick). The local markets are a treasure trove of fresh produce, spices, and handmade treats that reflect the city's vibrant food culture.
2. Living Markets:
To get a taste of local life, visit Maceió's lively markets. The Mercado Municipal and Feira de Artesanato offer a glimpse into the daily lives of the city's residents. Here you will find everything from handicrafts to fresh seafood and fruits to unique souvenirs.
3. Music and Dance:
Music and dance are deeply rooted in Maceió's culture. Experience the rhythm of forró, a popular Brazilian dance, at local clubs and live music venues. Get carried away by the infectious beats and let the locals teach you a few dance steps.
4. Coconut Culture:
Coconuts are an essential part of life in Maceió. Try fresh coconut water or better yet, treat yourself to "água de coco com camarão" (coconut water with crab) – a local delicacy that perfectly combines the taste of the sea with the tropical freshness of coconut.
5. Beach walks:
While we avoid the touristy beaches, the Maceió coast offers more than just sunbathing. Take leisurely walks along urban beaches such as Ponta Verde and Pajuçara, where you can observe the local culture, play a game of beach volleyball, or simply relax in the shade of the coconut trees.
6. Arts and Crafts:
Maceió has a thriving artisan community. Explore the galleries and workshops where local artists create unique works of art, from paintings to sculptures to handmade jewelry. These artistic expressions often reflect the rich history and tradition of the region.
7. Local festivals:
If your visit coincides with one of Maceió's local festivals, consider yourself lucky. Festivals such as Festa Junina, which celebrates Brazilian folklore, or the lively Carnival celebrations offer the opportunity to experience the city at its most colorful and vibrant.
When you explore the lesser-known aspects of Maceió, you will find that this city has a soul that goes far beyond its tourist attractions. By immersing yourself in the local culture, cuisine, and traditions, you will create memories that truly capture the essence of this fascinating Brazilian destination. So when planning your visit to Maceió, don't forget to get off the beaten path and discover the hidden gems that make this city so unique.
Basic info and car hire in Maceio
- Location: Brazil
- Population: 1,031,597
- Official language: Portuguese
- Currency: Brazilian real
- Weather: Maceio has a humid subtropical climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Maceio are in good condition.
- Car hire in Maceio: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Maceio is at the Maceio Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Maceio!
Driving in Maceio
Driving in Maceió, the charming coastal city in Brazil, offers a unique opportunity to explore this beautiful region at your own pace. With its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and a multitude of hidden treasures to discover, renting a car is a great way to make the most of your visit to Maceió. Here is a guide to help you find your way around the city.
1. Renting a car:
Start your trip with a rental car from Orbit Car Hire. With a variety of vehicle options, you can choose the perfect car to suit your needs and preferences.
2. Road Conditions:
Maceió has well-maintained roads, especially in the central areas and near popular tourist spots. However, some rural roads can be less smooth. So choose your routes wisely, especially if you are going off the beaten path.
3. Traffic rules:
Familiarize yourself with Brazilian traffic rules, including speed limits and road signs. Remember that Brazilians drive on the right side of the road and that seat belts are mandatory for all passengers.
Finding parking in Maceió can be a bit tricky, especially in the city center. Look for public parking or use metered parking to avoid fines or towing.
5. Gas stations:
Gas stations, known as "postos," are plentiful in Maceió. Most accept both cash and credit cards. Keep in mind that gasoline prices can fluctuate. So it's a good idea to fill up when you find a good price.
Use a reliable GPS or a navigation app on your smartphone to get around. Make sure your mobile data plan covers international use or buy a local SIM card for Internet access.
7. Local Driving Habits:
Driving in Maceió can be lively, so stay alert. Brazilians are known for their passionate driving style, so be prepared for occasional honking and expressive hand gestures.
8. Roadside Assistance:
For added peace of mind, take out roadside assistance or insurance from Orbit Car Hire. This can be a lifesaver in the event of unexpected problems on the road.
9. Explore the city's surroundings:
The natural beauty of Maceió extends beyond the city limits. Use your rental car to explore nearby attractions like Praia do Gunga or Praia do Francês, which are just a short drive away.
Driving in Maceió gives you the freedom to create your own itinerary and explore this charming city and its surroundings on your terms. With Orbit Car Hire as your reliable partner, you can experience a smooth and unforgettable road trip in one of Brazil's most enchanting destinations. So, buckle up and get ready for an unforgettable journey through the breathtaking landscapes and rich culture of Maceió, Brazil.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and some suppliers are over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: Using a seatbelt is mandatory for all vehicle occupants.
- Children in the car: Safety seats must be used for children aged 4-7. You could face a substantial penalty if you don't meet these regulations.
- Driving side of the road:
- Drive on the right-hand side and overtake on the left.
- Lights: In Brazil, it is not uncommon to see cars driving without their headlights on at night
- General speed limits: Residential/local streets: 30 km/h, Avenues: 60 km/h, Highways (urban areas): 80 km/h for cars and motorcycles, 60 km/h for buses and trucks, Highways (rural areas): 110 km/h for cars and motorcycles, 80 km/h for buses and trucks.
Car Hire in Maceio
Most popular car hire at Maceio
The most selected hire car in Maceio is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also a popular option. The most popular car types in Maceio are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Maceio
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Maceio. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Brazil.
- Maceio-Brasilia (1892km with approximately 26 hours of drive)
- Maceio-Salvador (583km with approximately 8,5 hours of drive)
- Maceio-Sao Paulo (2441km with approximately 34 hours of drive)
- Maceio-Goiania (2095km with approximately 29 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Maceio
Maceió, with its stunning beaches and vibrant culture, is undoubtedly a fantastic destination in its own right. However, the surrounding Alagoas region of Brazil offers a plethora of excursion options that you can easily explore with a rental car from Orbit Car Hire.
1. São Miguel dos Milagres:
Located just a scenic drive north of Maceió, São Miguel dos Milagres is a quiet coastal resort known for its crystal clear waters and pristine beaches. Spend your day on the secluded shores of Praia do Toque and enjoy fresh seafood at beachfront restaurants.
Maragogi, often referred to as the "Brazilian Caribbean," is famous for its natural pools formed by coral reefs. Head south from Maceió to snorkel in these azure waters and explore the fascinating underwater world on a boat tour.
3. Praia do Gunga:
For a touch of adventure and natural beauty, head south to Praia do Gunga. This picturesque beach is surrounded by coconut groves and offers exciting activities such as buggy rides and banana boat tours.
Head west to the charming town of Penedo, known for its colonial architecture and rich history. Explore the historic district, visit Our Lady of the Rosary Church, and enjoy traditional Portuguese cuisine.
5. Barra de São Miguel:
Barra de São Miguel, just a short drive from Maceió, is a family-friendly beach destination. Enjoy the calm waters and relax in the shade of coconut palms. It's a great place for water sports and beach dining.
6. Dunas de Marapé:
East of Maceió, you'll find the Dunas de Marapé, a stunning coastal area of sand dunes and lagoons. Explore the dunes on an exciting buggy ride and take a dip in the natural pools.
Located to the north, Japaratinga is known for its peaceful ambiance and natural beauty. Visit Praia de Bitingui for its tranquil atmosphere and explore the tide pools at low tide.
8. Capela de São Gonçalo:
Head to the picturesque town of Marechal Deodoro and visit the Capela de São Gonçalo, a historic chapel with beautiful architecture and a tranquil setting.
With a rental car from Orbit Car Hire in Maceió, you'll have the flexibility to take exciting day trips to discover the hidden gems and natural wonders surrounding this fascinating city. Whether you're looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural exploration, these day trip destinations near Maceió offer a wide range of experiences that will enhance your visit to this stunning part of Brazil. So, pack your bags, hit the road, and make the most of your time in Maceió to explore its beautiful surroundings.
What to see in Maceio
Maceió, the capital city of the Brazilian state of Alagoas, is a coastal paradise waiting to be discovered. With its pristine beaches, rich culture, and vibrant atmosphere, Maceió offers a delightful blend of relaxation and adventure. If you're planning a visit and have a rental car from Orbit Car Hire, here's a guide to the must-see attractions and activities in Maceió.
1. Praia de Pajuçara: Kickstart your Maceió adventure with a visit to Praia de Pajuçara. This urban beach is perfect for a leisurely stroll along the picturesque shoreline. Don't miss the chance to take a jangada (traditional fishing boat) ride to explore natural pools formed by coral reefs.
2. Ponta Verde Beach: Ponta Verde Beach is a favorite among locals and tourists alike. Relax on the golden sands, take a dip in the inviting turquoise waters, and enjoy refreshments from the beachside kiosks.
3. Ipioca Beach: Escape the crowds at Ipioca Beach, a tranquil and less-visited stretch of coastline. Its calm waters and natural beauty make it an excellent spot for relaxation and water sports.
4. Mercado Municipal de Maceió: Explore the Mercado Municipal, a bustling marketplace where you can immerse yourself in the local culture. Shop for handicrafts, fresh seafood, and regional delicacies.
5. Museu Théo Brandão: Delve into Alagoan culture at the Museu Théo Brandão, where you can discover a diverse collection of folk art, historical artifacts, and traditional costumes.
6. Praia do Francês: A short drive from Maceió, Praia do Francês is a haven for surfers and beach lovers. It offers a vibrant atmosphere with beachfront restaurants serving delicious seafood.
7. Praia do Gunga: For a day of adventure, head to Praia do Gunga. Enjoy thrilling buggy rides, explore the coconut groves, and savor local cuisine at beachfront eateries.
8. Festa de São João: If your visit coincides with June, don't miss the Festa de São João, a traditional Brazilian celebration with music, dance, and delicious street food.
9. Passeio das Águas: Embark on a river tour through the mangroves and lagoons of Maceió. It's a unique opportunity to witness the city's stunning natural landscapes.
10. Nightlife in Jaraguá: Experience the vibrant nightlife of Maceió in the historic Jaraguá district. Visit bars, clubs, and live music venues for an unforgettable evening out.
Maceió, with its captivating beauty and cultural richness, promises an unforgettable experience. With the convenience of a rental car from Orbit Car Hire, you can explore these attractions and activities at your own pace, ensuring that your visit to Maceió is filled with adventure, relaxation, and cultural discoveries. So, pack your bags, hit the road, and get ready to create lasting memories in this Brazilian coastal gem.
Drive your rental car beyond Maceio
If you are looking for an unforgettable travel experience that combines the freedom of the open road with the breathtaking beauty of nature, Brazil is the place for you. This vast and diverse country offers a variety of road trip adventures waiting to be explored. With Orbit Car Hire as your trusted companion, you can embark on the trip of a lifetime. Find out why exploring Brazil by car is the ultimate adventure:
1. Diverse Landscapes: Brazil is a country with remarkable geographical diversity, ranging from pristine beaches and lush rainforests to arid deserts and towering mountains. When you travel by car, you have the opportunity to see this kaleidoscope of landscapes before your eyes.
2. Coastal Wonders: With nearly 7,500 kilometers (4,660 miles) of coastline, Brazil is a beach lover's paradise. Drive along Brazil's famous coastline, stopping at hidden coves, bustling beach towns, and some of the world's most famous sandy beaches, including Copacabana and Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro.
3. Iconic Panoramic Roads: Brazil is home to some of the most scenic travel routes in the world. The Estrada Real, for example, passes through colonial towns and lush mountains, while the Transpantaneira Highway offers an unparalleled safari experience in the Pantanal wetlands.
4. Culinary delights: Brazil's diverse culture is also reflected in its cuisine. On your trip, enjoy regional dishes such as feijoada, acarajé, and churrasco at restaurants and roadside markets. Each region has its culinary specialties waiting for you to discover.
5. Cultural Encounters: Brazil's rich history and vibrant culture will be evident as you travel through its cities and towns. Visit historical sites, museums, and local festivals to immerse yourself in the country's diverse heritage.
6. Welcome locals: Brazilians are known for their warmth and friendliness. As you explore the country by car, you will have the opportunity to converse with locals, share stories, and make new friends.
7. National Parks and Natural Wonders: Brazil is home to an incredible number of national parks and natural wonders, including the Amazon Rainforest, Iguazu Falls, and Chapada Diamantina. With a rental car from Orbit, you can easily reach these pristine areas and experience unforgettable outdoor adventures.
8. Flexible Itineraries: One of the greatest benefits of a road trip in Brazil is the flexibility it offers. You can customize your itinerary, stay longer in places that intrigue you, and get off the beaten path to discover hidden gems.
Before you set off on your Brazil road trip, plan your route, check out the road conditions, and make sure your vehicle is in good condition. With Orbit Car Hire you'll have access to a wide selection of reliable vehicles that will suit your needs.
Exploring Brazil by car is an exciting adventure that promises a variety of landscapes, cultural experiences, and culinary delights. With Orbit Car Hire as your reliable partner, you can traverse this vast and beautiful country with ease. So, pack your bags, hit the road, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime in the enchanting landscapes of Brazil. Your road trip adventure is waiting for you!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Maceio
Maceió, a coastal gem on the northeastern coast of Brazil, offers not only breathtaking beaches but also a vibrant and diverse culinary scene that is a treat for your taste buds. When you explore this charming city with a rental car from Orbit Car Hire, you can look forward to a culinary journey unlike any other.
1. Seafood Extravaganza:
Maceió's coastal location ensures an abundance of fresh seafood. Do not miss the opportunity to enjoy dishes like "moqueca" (a savory fish stew), "sururu com pirão" (a delicious mussel stew), and grilled "camarão" (shrimp) at beachfront restaurants.
2. Tapioca delicacies:
Tapioca, a staple of Brazilian cuisine, takes on a whole new dimension in Maceió. Try the sweet and savory tapioca pancakes with ingredients like cheese, coconut, and shrimp at local tapiocarias.
3. Exotic fruits:
Maceió markets are a treasure trove of exotic fruits such as "caju" (cashew fruit), "mangaba" (a tropical fruit) and "umbu" (a sour plum). Sip on fresh fruit juices or enjoy them in ice cream and desserts.
4. Local Specialties:
Discover regional delicacies such as "bolo de goma" (cassava cake), "queijo coalho" (grilled cheese on a stick), and "canjica" (a sweet corn pudding) at local restaurants and markets.
5. Eating at the beach:
Many of Maceió's beaches offer charming beach restaurants called "barracas" Enjoy a meal with your toes in the sand while enjoying the sea breeze.
The culinary landscape of Maceió is a delicious fusion of flavors where the sea meets the land to create a gastronomic paradise. With a rental car from Orbit Car Hire, you have the freedom to explore the city's culinary hotspots to make your visit to Maceió a delicious and unforgettable experience. So, pack your appetite and get ready to enjoy the coastal flavors of Maceió, Brazil.
Best restaurant in Maceio
- Sur: Restaurante Sur
- Divina Gula
- Maria Antonieta Bistrô
- Imperador dos Camarões
- Parmegianno Maceió
- Filé do Zezé
- Massagueira Grill
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.