Car Hire in Chania
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Chania
Chania is a city in Greece and the capital of the regional unit of Chania. It is located on the northwest coast of Crete's largest and most populous Greek island, which lies about 16 kilometres from the Greek mainland. Crete consists of several islands and islets which, together with the main island, form the region of Crete. The capital and largest city are Heraklion, which is located on the northern coast of the island. Chania represents one of the four regional units on the island. On the eastern side, Chania borders the region of Rethymno.
Most evidence suggests that this area has been inhabited since the Paleolithic period, at least 130000 years ago. At one point in history, this was the centre of the first advanced civilization in Europe. Throughout history, many different nations and religions have lived and ruled on this island. It has a rich and turbulent past. Today, the island is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Every year millions of tourists from all over the world come here to spend their holidays on the beaches of this fascinating island. Of course, there are beaches in Crete and a lot of exciting activities and things you can see besides the beaches.
The best thing about Chania is that although Crete is a tourist island and there are many big resorts and many places on the island are crowded, and everything is made for tourism; you can find far more authentic places in Chania that have not been affected by tourism as much as other parts of the island. If you want to explore Chania, it's best to rent a car and drive around. The southern part of the region is a bit more modern and offers more tourist attractions. In contrast, the south part of the region is more traditional, with typical architecture and many pretty little villages where you can learn about the conventional way of life of the locals and try some local delicacies.
All in all, Chania is a perfect place for travellers who are not looking for crowded tourist towns with mass tourism and lots of parties. It is a laid-back place where you can enjoy the traditional Greek way of life combined with tourist activities. If you are taking a road trip through Crete, be sure to stop in Chania and explore the city.
Basic info and car hire in Chania
- Location: Crete Island, Greece
- Population: 108,642
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: The city has a subtropical Mediterranean climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Chania are in good condition.
- Car hire in Chania: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Chania is at Chania airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Chania!
Driving in Chania
Driving in Chania is not very demanding, as the traffic is not very dense and there are not many traffic jams on the roads. Especially when you are driving from one village to another, you should be careful because there are often animals on the road, so you have to reduce your speed. The only thing that takes a bit more time here is finding a parking space, as there are not many oversized parking lots where you can easily park.
If you follow the rules and the road signs, you will not have much trouble driving through Chania.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for vehicles from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every vehicle), first aid kit (mandatory in every vehicle), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Chania
Most popular car hire at Chania
The most selected hire car in Chania is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Chania are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Chania
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Chania. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Chania-Palaiochora (71km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Chania- Matala (134km with about 2,5 hours of drive)
Chania-Heraklion (142km with about 2 hours of drive)
Chania- Sitia (265 with approximately 4-4,5 hours of drive)
What to see in Chania
In Chania, there are many unique places you can visit and some great activities you can do. If you have decided to visit Crete, the best solution is renting a car and exploring this fantastic island. There are many different and unique places on the island, and all of them are accessible by car. The roads on the island are in good condition, but sometimes you have to be prepared for dirt roads and roads that are not so well maintained and drive around some holes.
When in Chania, be sure to visit the charming city of Chania, which will enchant you with its traditional architecture, medieval look, and liveliness. The town has beautiful streets, picturesque squares, delicious restaurants, many bars and boutiques, and a great port that you should visit and have lunch there.
There are also some great beaches here, for example, Elafonisi beach, Sfakia beach, Falassarna beach, Balos beach...
While you are walking from one beach to another, you should also visit the Venetian lighthouse. Since this region was under the rule of the Venetians, there are many remains closely related to the Venetian culture.
Other places in Chania worth visiting are the Frangokastello Fortress, Samaria Gorge, and Lake Kournas.
Drive your rental car beyond Chania
When you are in Chania, you have a perfect opportunity to explore the island of Crete. Crete consists of the main island and numerous smaller islands and islets surrounding the main island of Crete. On the main island, you can drive around by car. Renting a car here is the best solution if you want to explore the island properly. The island is quite mountainous, so going from the beaches to the mountains to visit some fascinating villages and learn about the traditional way of life is very interesting. There are also some remarkable natural wonders here in Crete that will leave you speechless.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in excellent condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece, or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely lovely people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a vacation to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try other foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or are more interested in the interior. There are plenty of activities you can do for both options and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you plan a road trip through Greece. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It is located at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and political background that contributes to the country's diversity.
The size of the country is equal to that of Britain, and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore the area by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the provinces one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Chania
When in Greece, you have the perfect opportunity for great culinary experiences. In Chania, you can try some fantastic local dishes that have to do with Crete. But of course, some restaurants offer dishes from other parts of Greece and from all over the world. In the port of Chania, you can eat in some delicious fish restaurants. It is a memorable experience to eat fish and seafood here because all the ingredients are fresh and come straight from the sea.
Chania is not a popular party destination. Nevertheless, there are some quite lively places in Chania town. During the summer months, you can also attend some concerts and summer festivals in the area. However, for big parties, you will have to go to other parts of the island.
Best restaurant in Chania
Oinoa Wine Restaurant
Colombo Kitchen & Bar
Salavantes - Garden Restaurant & bar
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Chania 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Chania
Best of Greece