Car Hire in Kalamata
Find best deals in Kalamata
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Kalamata
Kalamata, the capital and principal port of the regional unit Messenia, is situated on the Nedon River at the head of the Messenian Gulf. It is the second-largest city of the Peloponnese peninsula and the largest city of the administrative region of the same name. The industrial city has long been known for producing silk cloth, flour, liquor, and tobacco. Kalamata is also famous for its high-quality olives, currants, and other fruits.
The city has a long history with many turbulent events that have shaped the Kalamata we know today. In the past, the city was ruled by different nations and religions. Today, Kalamata is a modern and prosperous city that is also a trendy tourist destination. Kalamata and its surrounding areas have much to offer, from great restaurants to historical religious and cultural sites to beaches.
This region is known for its diversity, which is reflected in what it has to offer tourists, as there are many exciting things to see and do here. The best way to explore Kalamata and its surrounding areas is to hire a car and move around as you wish, as there are so many different things to do and sights to see.
So if you are planning a road trip through southern Greece, be sure to put Kalamata on your list of must-see destinations. You will not need much time to explore the city, but take your time and find the perfect place for lunch in Kalamata, as there are many delicious restaurants here.
Basic info and car hire in Kalamata
- Location: Messenia, Greece
- Population: 69,849
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Kalamata has a Mediterranean climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Kalamata are in good condition.
- Car hire in Kalamata: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Kalamata is at Kalamata airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Kalamata!
Driving in Kalamata
Driving in Kalamata should not be a challenging experience for you. There can be some traffic jams in the summer and traffic is generally a bit busier in the summer season because of all the tourists that pass through. Also, be extra careful as some of the streets in the city centre are pretty narrow and finding a parking space here can be tricky at times. So it's best to park your car outside the city and explore Kalamata on foot. This way, you will probably save some time and avoid the stressful search for a parking space and standing on the street for a long time.
The fines for disobeying the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seatbelt in a car is punishable by 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free device is punishable by 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a probable driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in E.U. and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every car), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. You may do so if you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. E.U. disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Kalamata
Most popular car hire at Kalamata
The most selected hire car in Kalamata is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Kalamata are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Kalamata
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Kalamata. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
- Kalamata-Kitries (15km with approximately 25 minutes of drive)
Kalamata-Petalidi (30km with about 40 minutes of drive)
Kalamata-Sparta (99km with about 1-1,5 hours of drive)
Kalamata-Korinth (165km with about 2 hours of drive)
What to see in Kalamata
When you visit Kalamata, do not miss the beach. There is a 5-kilometre long sandy beach with many hotels, bars, restaurants, clubs, taverns, water sports, etc. So there are many activities you can do here on the beach, making Kalamata a perfect summer destination.
Many different faces know the city of Kalamata. When you walk around the city, you will understand why. The other parts of the city date back to different eras and have different looks. Each of these parts offers something unique. In the evening, the city takes on an extra dimension. With lots of lights, bars, clubs with music, and vibrant nightlife, Kalamata is an excellent destination for all tourists looking for a destination where you can combine sightseeing, beach activities, and nightlife.
There are also many museums here that are worth a visit. Probably the most famous and most visited museum here is the Railway Museum. It is the first theme park in Greece and offers lots of fun for the whole family. Especially children will have a lot of fun here.
Drive your rental car beyond Kalamata
If you are spending your time in Kalamata, be sure to rent a car and explore the city's surrounding areas. There are so many perfect destinations in this country that have something to offer all types of travellers.
Greece, or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of more than 2000 islands, about 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the entire world via the sea, and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food, and genuinely lovely people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a vacation to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try other foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or are more interested in the interior. There are plenty of activities you can do for both options and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you plan a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Skiathos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and political background that contributes to the country's diversity.
The size of the country is equal to that of Britain, and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore the area by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the provinces one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Kalamata
Like all of Greece, Kalamata is a perfect destination for foodies. The city does have many different restaurants serving all kinds of food. You can enjoy traditional dishes from the region or conventional dishes from other parts of the country. Besides that, many modern restaurants offer contemporary cuisine from Greece and other parts of the world.
Kalamata is mainly known for its high-quality olive oil, wine, vinegar, mustard, spirits, dried figs, oranges, cheese, honey...
Kalamata is a city that comes alive at night. So if you are looking for a destination where you can combine sightseeing, beach, and nightlife, Kalamata is the place for you. There are some great bars and nightclubs on the beach and in the old town, so you certainly will not get bored.
Best restaurant in Kalamata
Fish & Pasta Kannas
Yiamas Gastro Bar
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick-up. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Kalamata 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Kalamata
Best of Greece