Car Hire in Kefalonia
Find your car hire
About Kefalonia Island
Kefalonia or Cephalonia, also known in the past as Kefallinia or Kephallenia. It is the largest Ionian Islands in western Greece and the 6th largest island in Greece after Crete, Euboea, Lesvos, Rhodes, and Chios. Together with the island of Ithaca and smaller neighbouring islands, it forms the district of Kefallinía. The landscape on the island is quite mountainous, with the highest peak, the 1628-meter-high Mount Aenos, often covered by snow in the winter months. The capital is located on the eastern side of the island and is called Argostólion.
Kefalonia has a rich history, as the island was inhabited as early as the Paleolithic Age. In the past, many different nations and religions ruled the island. All this had a significant influence on the image of the island today. Moreover, the great earthquake in 1953 destroyed almost all the buildings on the island. Still, with a lot of hard work and dedication, the locals, with the government's help, managed to rebuild and reconstruct the island so that today you can visit this amazing place and enjoy your vacation here.
The island is one of the most popular destinations among Greeks and tourists from all over the world. This beautiful island offers an incredible landscape contrasting green mountains and blue sea with beautiful beaches. Also, there are some interesting historical, cultural, and religious sites on the island worth visiting. Another important aspect of this island is that the locals are very hospitable and cheerful and always ready for jokes and laughter. It adds to the spirit of Kefalonia and makes the island an even better vacation destination.
Basic info and car hire in Kefalonia Island
- Location: Ionian Sea, Greece
- Population: 35,801
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Kefalonia has hot, sunny summers and mild, rainy winters
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Kefalonia Island are in good condition.
- Car hire in Kefalonia Island: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Kefalonia Island is at Kefalonia airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Kefalonia Island!
Driving in Kefalonia Island
Renting a car in Kefalonia is the best solution if you want to explore the island properly. From one side of the island to the other (from Skala to Fiskardo), it is 80 kilometres and about 2 hours drive. The roads on the island are in good condition, but you need to be aware that there are some narrower spots and some sections near cliffs where you should be extra careful and reduce your speed.
Generally, traffic on the island is relatively light, and you will not have much difficulty getting around. In the summer months, the traffic is higher as many people from Greece come to the island by car, so be prepared for traffic jams in July and August. However, traffic is often heavier near tourist attractions and resorts, while the other island parts are still quite relaxing for a drive.
Kefalonia is a great place for a bit of a road trip. All you need to do is make a good plan and follow the traffic rules. Buckle up and drive safely!
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every car), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must fit or children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is not allowed in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Kefalonia Island
Most popular car hire at Kefalonia Island
The most selected hire car in Kefalonia Island is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Kefalonia Island are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Kefalonia Island
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Kefalonia Island. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Kefalonia-Poros (30km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Kefalonia-Paliki (35km with about 45 minutes of drive)
Kefalonia-Skala (30km with about 50 minutes of drive)
Kefalonia-Lixouri (38km with about 50 minutes of drive)
What to see in Kefalonia Island
When in Kefalonia, rent a car and explore the island at your own pace. There are so many great destinations to visit here that it's hard to decide where to go first. In the town of Kefalonia, you should take a walk through the old city. In addition to many historical monuments and beautiful squares and streets that you should check out, some museums are worth visiting, for example, the Corgialenios Historical and Cultural Museum. Another great place to visit is the Corgialenios Library.
If you prefer a more active vacation, you should visit the highest peak in Kefalonia, Mount Enos. It is truly a special place with some species that can only be found here. The black pine is one of them and also some species of wildflowers and wild herbs. And there is also a special breed of pony, Equus cabalus.
Kefalonia is also known for its magnificent beaches. Some of the beaches you should not miss are Myrtos, Xi, Petani, Skala, Poros, Makri Gialos.
Drive your rental car beyond Kefalonia Island
Kefalonia is a special place, but there are many of them in Greece. The best way to explore this amazing country is to rent a car and drive around according to your preferences. If you are planning a road trip through Greece, make sure you make a good plan because there are so many different things to do and see that you need to be well organized if you want to visit all the places that interest you. Many islands in this country are connected to the mainland by ferries, some of them by bridges, and some are only accessible by smaller boats.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in excellent condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece, or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, of which around 170 are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely lovely people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a vacation to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try other foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or are more interested in the interior. There are plenty of activities you can do for both options and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you plan a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Skiathos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and political background that contributes to the country's diversity.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain, and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore the area by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the provinces one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Enjoy the culture in Kefalonia Island
Where to eat, drink, and party in Kefalonia Island
Kefalonia is a great place for all food lovers. Like all Greek islands, Kefalonia has a spectacular culinary offering. There are many seafood restaurants and tavernas all over the island where you can enjoy delicious fish and other seafood. Many restaurants serve traditional Greek dishes. When you are in Kefalonia, be sure to try the meat pie, which is a local speciality. However, kleftiko and beef in red sauce are also very popular.
Kefalonia is known for its excellent wine, so you should also try some local wines during your vacation here.
Ladokolla Stin Plagia
The Olive Lounge
Alati All Day Bar & Restaurant
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
How do I find cheap car hire?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Alicante!
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire you will pay the remaining balance in the currency that is in the country of pick up.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add an additional driver to my booking?
You can always add an additional driver to your booking when you are finding your deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add an additional driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and you will see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
Car Hire Locations in Kefalonia 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Kefalonia
Best of Greece