Car Hire in Lardos
Find your car rental
Lardos is a Greek village on the river Lardos, also called Fonias, in the eastern part of the island of Rhodes, South Aegean region. It is located 54 kilometres from the city of Rhodes.
Rhodes is the largest of the Greek Dodecanese islands and also the historical capital of the archipelago. In the past, the island of Rhodes was very famous for the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The medieval old town of Rhodes has been declared a World Heritage Site. Today Rhodes is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe.
The charming village of Lardos will not disappoint you. The pretty streets, traditional architecture and the iconic fountain in the middle of the village are just some of the reasons why you should visit this place. There are also some great restaurants and taverns in the village where you can enjoy delicious meals. We must not forget that Lardos also has stunning surroundings of the village. The beautiful nature makes this place a perfect destination if you are taking a road trip around Rhodes.
Although Lardos is a small village, it has everything that big tourist complexes offer. There is a doctor's office, a dentist, a pharmacy, a hairdresser, a currency exchange office, an international telephone network, a newsstand, a car, a motorcycle and a bicycle rental. So this place should be on your list of villages to visit on a Rhodes road trip.
Basic info and car hire in Lardos
- Location: Rhodes Island, Greece
- Population: 1380
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Rhodes has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Lardos are in good condition.
- Car hire in Lardos: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Lardos is at Lardos Downtown. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Lardos.
Driving in Lardos
Driving on the island of Rhodes is not very demanding. If you want to explore the island properly, a rental car is the best solution for you. The roads on the island are mostly in good condition, traffic is relatively light and you will not be stuck in a traffic jam for hours. The only problem is finding a parking space during the summer season. If you want to explore a village or town, it's best to park your car outside the town or village and explore on foot.
Fines for breaking the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seat belt in a car is punishable by 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free device is punishable by 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a likely driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for vehicles from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every vehicle), first aid kit (mandatory in every vehicle), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Lardos
Most popular car hire at Lardos
The most selected hire car in Lardos is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Lardos are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Lardos
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Lardos. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Lardos-Kiotari (10km with approximately 10 minutes of drive)
Lardos-Faliraki (36km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Lardos-Monolithos (40km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Lardos-Rhodes (48km with approximately 55 minutes of drive)
What to see in Lardos
Lardos is a charming little village with lots of character. There are many great restaurants and tavernas where you can enjoy delicious local food. You can also admire the traditional architecture, walk through the charming narrow streets and relax in the main square with the picturesque fountain in the middle. The famous Blue Flag beach of Lardos is just 3 kilometres from the village and offers plenty of water sports for the whole family.
There are also organised excursions here in Lardos that you can join to explore other villages on the island such as the village of Lindos and the Acropolis of Lindos, trips around the island, shopping trips to Rhodes Town and the ruins of ancient Kamiros and the monasteries.
During your stay in Lardos, be sure to visit the remains of the Byzantine castle of Lardos or the Convent of the Virgin Mary.
Drive your rental car beyond Lardos
There are so many fantastic places to visit in this country that you will simply enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in very good condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely nice people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try different foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or if you are more interested in the interior. For both options, there are plenty of activities you can do and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you are planning a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Lardos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural and also political background that contributes to the diversity of the country.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore region by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the regions one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Lardos
In the village of Lardos, there are many tavernas and restaurants where you can try different foods. You can enjoy the traditional local cuisine, have a perfect Greek meal or try dishes from other parts of the world. The special thing about the cuisine here is that mainly local ingredients are used, which makes the culinary here in Greece so special.
Lardos is not a party place, so you will not find lively nightlife here, but you can definitely have a great evening in one of the bars and drink some ouzos or maybe taste local wines in a winery.
Best restaurant in Lardos
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
How do I find cheap car hire?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire you will pay the remaining balance in the currency that is in the country of pick up.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when you are finding your deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and you will see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number when you make a booking on our webpage. If you have already have a booking, you can send us an email to email@example.com and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible to pay for the toll roads you drive the rental vehicle on.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while it is on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. This can include fire, vandalism, theft, loss of use while the car is being repaired depending on the car rental company. You can read more about deductible right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, also known as CDW is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible to pay for the excess, but the rest of the cost is waived by the car rental company. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that is offered by car rental companies. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk if the rental car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it. There is an excess or as it is also known a deductible that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Lardos
Best of Greece