Car Hire in Milos
Find your car hire
About Milos Island
Milos is a Greek island in the Aegean Sea, located north of the Cretan Sea. This volcanic island is the southwesternmost island of the Cyclades group. It has a long and rich history. Some excavations indicate that civilization existed here about 2000-2300 years before Christ. Among other things, the Venus de Milo, the exquisite life-size marble statue said to represent the goddess Aphrodite, now in the Louvre, was discovered here.
Volcanic activity in the past has made Milos the most exotic island in the Aegean. The beaches, which glow red, pink, and orange thanks to the volcanic rock, are truly stunning. But it's not just the beaches that make this island so special. The entire landscape of Milos is breathtaking. Thanks to its nature, Milos has a wide range of different activities you can do if you do not want to spend your whole holiday lying on the beach drinking cocktails.
Milos also has some wonderful towns and villages that you should visit during your stay on the island. The capital of the island is Plaka, and you definitely should not miss that. The best way to explore the island is to rent a car and drive around at your own pace. There are many hidden places that you can discover. If you are lucky, you can also find some small beaches where you can be alone all day.
And of course, this being Greece, there is a great culinary offer on the island. You can enjoy delicious food in many different restaurants. In summary, Milos is a place to visit with its beautiful scenery, fantastic beaches, charming towns and villages with their friendly inhabitants, delicious culinary specialities and many activities you can do.
Basic info and car hire on Milos Island
- Location: Cyclades, Greece
- Population: 4,977
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Milos has a Mediterranean climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Milos Island are in good condition. There are also some dirt roads on the island.
- Car hire on Milos Island: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Milos Island is at Milos airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Milos Island!
Driving on Milos Island
Renting a car in Milos is the best solution if you want to explore the island properly. There are so many hidden places accessible by a car that it would be a shame if you missed them. The main roads on the island are in good condition and the traffic here is very light. However, during the summer months, there are a lot of motorcycles and ATVs so you should be extra careful.
It is good to know that there are also many dirt roads on the island. The beaches, in particular, are usually only accessible via dirt roads. So keep this in mind when choosing your rental car if you want to have a real off-road experience. Otherwise, you should drive extra carefully on these roads and reduce your speed to avoid damage to your car.
The fines for breaking the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seat belt in a car is punishable by 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free device is punishable by 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a likely driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for vehicles from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every vehicle), first aid kit (mandatory in every vehicle), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Milos Island
Most popular car hire at Milos Island
The most selected hire car in Milos Island is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Milos Island are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Milos Island
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Milos Island. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Milos-Zefiria (12km with approximately 20 minutes of drive)
Milos-Plaka (18km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
Milos-Thiorichio (19km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Milos-Voudia (22km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
What to see on Milos Island
With a rental car, you have a great way to spend a great holiday in Milos. For those who prefer a more active holiday, there are some amazing sea caves that you can explore. You can also dive in underwater caves if you like diving. Then, you can also take part in a kayak tour where you will explore the coastline of the island and the surrounding areas.
If you like exploring towns and villages, then Plaka is undoubtedly a place you should visit. Plaka is the capital of Milos and is located on the slopes of a hill. You will fall in love with its charming streets and squares, surrounded by typical white architecture and decorated with beautiful flowers. Besides Plaka, there are many other places you should discover, such as Klima, Adamantas, Hivadolimni, Emporium...
Beaches you should visit: Gerakas beach, Firiplaka beach, Tsigrado beach, Plathiena, Palaiochori, Papafragas, Gerontas...
History lovers can visit the ancient catacombs of the ancient theatre from the Roman period.
Drive your rental car beyond Milos Island
After exploring Milos, you can explore the island's surroundings. Milos is part of the Cyclades, which means that many places around this island are worth visiting. The Cyclades are a group of islands in the Aegean Sea, southeast of the Greek mainland and a former administrative prefecture of Greece. They are one of the island groups that make up the Aegean archipelago. The name refers to the islands surrounding the sacred island of Delos. The largest island in the Cyclades is Naxos, but the most populous in Syros. The most famous and probably most visited island in this area is, of course, Mykonos. Another popular place nearby is Skiathos. These two islands are famous tourist destinations.
Each of the islands of the Cyclades has something to offer you. The most noticeable architecture of the islands are windmills and cube-shaped whitewashed houses. There are some great archaeological sites on each of these islands, as well as some fabulous beaches that you will enjoy visiting.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places to visit in this country that you will simply enjoy a trip around Greece. The roads are mostly in very good condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely nice people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try different foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or if you are more interested in the interior. For both options, there are plenty of activities you can do and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you are planning a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Milos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and also political background that contributes to the diversity of the country.
The size of the country is equal to that of Britain and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore region by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the regions one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party on Milos Island
Milos is fast becoming a famous foodie destination. Like all Greek islands, it has excellent gastronomy based on local ingredients. Thanks to the fertile volcanic soil, the people of Milos are especially known for growing a variety of vegetables, fruits, and herbs. There are many different restaurants and taverns on the island. You can enjoy traditional Greek cuisine or try menus from other parts of the world.
Milos is not a popular party destination as the island is quite quiet. But if you are looking for nightlife, you can find it in some tourist places. There are some bars and clubs that are open late and sometimes have live music in the summer.
Best restaurant on Milos Island
Akrotiri Seafood Obsession
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
How do I find cheap car hire?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Alicante!
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire you will pay the remaining balance in the currency that is in the country of pick up.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add an additional driver to my booking?
You can always add an additional driver to your booking when you are finding your deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add an additional driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and you will see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
Car Hire Locations in Milos 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Milos
Best of Greece