Car Hire in Naxos
Find your car rental
Naxos is the largest island of the Cyclades. It was the centre of the archaic Cycladic culture. The capital of the island is Chora.
Although it is less known than other islands of the Cyclades, Naxos is the greenest and one of the most exciting and beautiful islands of this region. It has a rich and turbulent past reflected in many historical, cultural, and religious sites that you can visit on this island. Moreover, there are some fantastic picturesque towns and villages on the island that you will fall in love with.
But Naxos is not just about history and architecture; the island also has stunning scenery to offer with plenty of opportunities for all kinds of activities.
As Naxos is a large island, you can visit many different places and various activities you can do. There are many organized tours on the island that you can join to explore Naxos with an organized group. But the best way to explore this fantastic place is to rent a car and drive around the island according to your preferences. The roads on the island are in good condition, so you will not have much trouble getting around.
If you are planning a road trip around Naxos Island, you will not regret it. Besides the many great places to visit and activities to do, there is also a tremendous culinary offering on the island so that you can have some delicious food here on the island. Overall, Naxos is a perfect holiday destination, and the best thing about this island is that it is not as crowded as other, more famous islands.
Basic info and car hire in Naxos
- Location: Cyclades, Greece
- Population: 18,904
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Naxos experiences a Mediterranean climate, with relatively mild winters and warm summers
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Naxos Island are in good condition.
- Car hire in Naxos: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Naxos Island is at Naxos airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Naxos Island!
Driving in Naxos
Renting a car on the island is the best solution if you want to explore Naxos properly. The roads on the island are generally in good condition, but there are some relatively narrow roads in the island's mountainous regions. These roads can be scary at times, so you need to be extra careful if you are not used to driving on mountain roads.
In the southern part of the island, many beaches can only be reached by dirt roads, so you need to be extra careful when driving on these roads. Make sure you hire a suitable car if you are going to drive on these roads.
The fines for breaking the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seat belt in a car is punishable by 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free device is punishable by 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a likely driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in E.U. and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every car), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. You may do so if you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. E.U. disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Naxos
Most popular car hire at Naxos
The most selected hire car in Naxos is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Naxos are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Naxos
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Naxos. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Naxos-Kastraki (15km with approximately 25 minutes of drive)
- Naxos-Koronos (27km with around 45 minutes of drive)
Naxos-Apollonas (37km with about 1 hour of drive)
Naxos-Kanaki (45km with about 1 hour of drive)
What to see in Naxos
If you are planning a road trip through Naxos, you will have a great time. There are so many things to do and see on this island that you need to make a good plan before you visit if you want to hit all the destinations you like.
For example, you should visit the long sandy beach of Plaka. This beach has a lot to offer. There are many bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Other beaches worth visiting are Agios Prokopios, Aliko beach, and Mikri Vigla (perfect destination for wind and kite surfers),
There are also many beautiful villages on the island that you will love to visit: Halki, Apiranthos, Ano Sangri.
Other destinations worth visiting: The monastery of Kalamitsia, Mount Zas, the Kouros of Apollonas, the Byzantine church of Drossiani, the small port of Moutsouna.
Drive your rental car beyond Naxos
When you are done exploring Naxos, there are many more islands to visit. If you want to explore the entire Cyclades, which consists of more than 30 islands, you'll have quite a bit to do. Some of the islands are connected to the mainland by ferries. Some of them, especially the smaller ones, are only accessible by boat. On some islands, such as Naxos, it is best to join a guided tour. These tours are well organized, and you will learn a lot of interesting facts about the region's history.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in excellent condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece, or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely lovely people. A place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a vacation to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try other foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or are more interested in the interior. There are plenty of activities you can do for both options and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you plan a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Naxos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and political background that contributes to the country's diversity.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain, and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore the area by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the provinces one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Naxos
Naxos is an excellent gastronomy destination. You will find many restaurants serving everything from traditional local cuisine to traditional Greek cuisine from other parts of the country on the island. But of course, many restaurants offer menus from different parts of the world.
You can enjoy excellent seafood on the island, as many restaurants specialize in fish and other seafood. In other parts of Greece, you can also enjoy some fantastic wines mainly produced in this area.
Naxos is not an island known for its parties and nightlife. It is a somewhat quieter island. However, this does not mean that there are no parties here. The liveliest nightlife can be found in Chora, where there are some nightclubs and also some beach parties that you will enjoy.
Best restaurant in Naxos
Menu Me Nou
To Souvlaki tou Maki
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Naxos 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Naxos
Best of Greece