Car Hire in Samos
Find your car rental
Samos is a Greek island in the eastern Aegean Sea. It is a separate regional unit of the North Aegean Region and the only municipality of the regional unit. It is located near the coast of western Turkey, from which it is separated by the 1.6-kilometre-wide strait of Mykale. The capital of Samos is Vathi. The island has a mountainous landscape with a lot of forests. The highest peak of the island is the mountain Kerketeus with a height of 1433 meters. In the past, Samos was a very rich island and a very powerful city-state. The main export product was wine, as the island is famous for its vineyards. Also, the island is famous as the birthplace of the Greek philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras, after whom the Pythagorean theorem is named. Besides Pythagoras, Samos is also the birthplace of several other famous figures in Greek history, especially philosophers and astronomers.
Today, the island is known as the greenest island in the Aegean Sea and is a popular summer destination for many tourists and travellers from all over the world. Besides tourism, the main income of the inhabitants of Samos is the export of wine, tobacco, olives, olive oil, fruit, and cotton. This is mainly due to the very fertile soil.
Thanks to its size (Samos is quite a big island), it has many different beaches that you can visit. All of them have something unique to offer and you will feel comfortable at any of them. There are also some beaches for nudists, which makes the tourist offer here even more diverse. You can also visit some charming villages and towns on the island and learn more about the traditional way of life on this island.
There are also many historical, cultural, and religious sites on the island that you can visit and explore the history of this place.
With so many different places to visit and things to do, Samos is undoubtedly a great holiday destination for any kind of tourist. The only thing you need to do before coming to Samos is to make a good plan because there are so many attractions that you will not be able to visit them all if you are not well prepared. The best way to explore the island is to rent a car. Buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire on Samos
- Location: Aegean Sea, Greece
- Population: 32,977
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Samos has a typically Mediterranean climate, with mild rainy winters, and warm rainless summers
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Samos Island are in good condition.
- Car hire on Samos: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Samos Island is at Samos airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Samos Island!
Driving on Samos
Renting a car in Samos is the best solution if you want to explore the island properly. Since Samos is a fairly large island, it is easiest to get around by car. The main roads are in good condition and well equipped with all road signs and other infrastructure. However, if you are driving from one village to another, especially in the mountainous part of the island, the roads can be quite damaged in some places, so you will need to drive extra carefully in these areas. If you are not used to driving on mountain roads, you should reduce your speed even more and be careful.
It is also good to know that there are a lot of motorcycles on the roads, especially in the summer, so you need to be extra attentive.
The fines for breaking the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seatbelt in a car will cost you 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free kit will cost you 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a likely driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in E.U. and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every car), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted for children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. E.U. disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Samos
Most popular car hire at Samos
The most selected hire car in Samos is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Samos are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Samos
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Samos. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Samos-Karlovasi (30km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
- Samos-Potami (34km with approximately 45 minutes of drive)
Samos-Kampos Marathokampou (47km with approximately 1-1,5 hours of drive)
Samos-Limnionas (54km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
What to see on Samos
Samos is a great place for all kinds of tourists. There are many great places to visit and interesting things to do here. It is up to you what kind of holiday you prefer. The best way to explore the island is to rent a car and take a road trip around the island. This way, you can make your plan and move at the pace you prefer and visit the attractions that interest you.
Beaches you can visit on the island: Tsamadou beach, Potokaki beach, Lemonakia beach, Kokkari bay, Psili Amos, Mykali beach, Posidonio beach, Heraion beach, Karlovassi beach, Kedros beach, Platanakia beach...
Villages to visit: Vathy, Kokkari, Karlovassi, Pythagorion, Manolates, Marathokambos, Mytilini, Mavratzei, ...
Other places on the island worth visiting: Sanctuary of Heraion, Tunnel of Eupalinus, Castle of Lykourgos Logothetis, Archaeological Museum, Archaeological Museum of Pythagorion, Roman Baths, Caves of Pythagoras, Monastery of Panagia Spiliani.
Drive your rental car beyond Samos
Greece is an ideal destination for a road trip you will never forget. Once you have explored Samos, it's best to explore the surrounding area as well. The island is connected to the mainland by a ferry. So, if you have rented a car in Samos, you can bring your car to the ferry and continue your road trip wherever you want. There are so many fantastic places to visit in this country that you will simply enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in very good condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely nice people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try different foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or if you are more interested in the interior. For both options, there are plenty of activities you can do and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you are planning a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Samos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and also political background that contributes to the diversity of the country.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore region by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the regions one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party on Samos
Samos, like all of Greece, is a destination that any food lover will fall in love with. The cuisine here is based on local ingredients as many vegetables, fruits, and herbs are grown on this island. There are some great restaurants serving fish and seafood, but you will also find many places where you can try all kinds of menus, from traditional Greek cuisine to modern culinary and menus from all over the world.
There are some very attractive nightclubs on the island where you can party all summer long. There are also many bars on the beaches where great parties take place, especially during the tourist season.
Best restaurant on Samos
To Magazaki pou Legame
Knife & Fork
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Samos 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Samos
Best of Greece