Car Hire on Santorini
Find your car hire
About Santorini Island
Santorini, also called Thera or Thira in modern Greek, is the southernmost island of the Cyclades group in southeastern Greece, in the Aegean Sea. Santorini stands on a volcano that is still active. This is probably the only volcano in the world that is under the sea. So all the small islands in the area are the result of volcanic activity throughout history. Santorini's volcanic beaches are a true natural wonder with a landscape shaped by volcanic activity over the past millennia. It is one of the most famous destinations in Greece and beyond. Most people consider it the best and most beautiful Greek island.
With its ideal climatic conditions, incredible scenery, and idyllic villages and towns with their typical architecture, it is a place you will fall in love with. The locals on this island are also remarkable. They are hot and cheerful people who will welcome you with both hands. They have managed to include all the opportunities that the island offers them in the tourist offer. So you can see and do many different things in Santorini. There is something for every taste and every type of tourist here. If you prefer an active holiday, you can do many nature walks, horse riding, cycling, kayaking, sailing, different water sports, scuba diving.
There are also many great historical, cultural, natural, and religious sites worth visiting. Besides many natural wonders due to volcanic activities, weather conditions, the sea, etc., there are also some incredible architectural sights that you should not miss during your stay in Santorini. You can also visit many different museums and galleries here, especially in the capital of Santorini Island. Not to mention the many cultural events that take place throughout the year on the island. If we add the fantastic culinary offer with the fantastic local food and the delicious local wines produced here on the island, this is truly an ideal place for a holiday.
Basic info and car hire in Santorini Island
- Location: Cyclades, Greece
- Population: 15,550
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Santorini has a semi-arid climate, with Mediterranean characteristics
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Santorini Island are in good condition.
- Car hire in Santorini Island: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Santorini Island is at Santorini airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Santorini Island!
Driving in Santorini Island
If you want to properly explore this beautiful island with all its hidden places and small beaches, a rental car is the best solution for you. Driving on Santorini is not very tiring if you follow the rules and are careful enough. There are a lot of motorbikes and ATVs on the roads, especially in the summer. Since they are mainly tourists, you have to be extra careful as they do not know the streets very well. Another thing you should be aware of is that the locals drive very fast here. And sometimes you will encounter donkeys or other animals on the road, so you should be extra careful when going from one village to another.
The roads are generally in good condition. Some streets in the towns and villages are pretty narrow, and it is generally a bit complicated when you drive into the cities. Since they are not very big, you can explore them on foot and park your car outside the village or town.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the car, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every vehicle), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must fitfor children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. An appropriate child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is not allowed in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Santorini Island
Most popular car hire at Santorini Island
The most selected hire car in Santorini Island is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Santorini Island are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Santorini Island
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Santorini Island. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time not returning to your original site. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Santorini-Akrotiri (10km with approximately 20 minutes of drive)
Santorini-Kokkinopetra (14km with around 25 minutes of drive)
Santorini-Pori (18km with about 25 minutes of drive)
Santorini-Palaria Katharos (19km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
What to see in Santorini Island
Santorini is like a postcard. Virtually every picture you take here is beautiful. There are so many beautiful places on the island that you will fall in love with them. If you want to explore the island, it's best to rent a car and take a little road trip around Santorini. As well as beautiful beaches and stunning views, there are also some great historical, cultural, and religious sites that are worth a visit.
When you are in Santorini, there's one place you do not want to miss. The Caldera. This unique creation of nature offers a fantastic experience, especially if you visit it in the evening and enjoy the sunset with a breathtaking view from a 300 meters high cliff.
Another perfect destination is one of the most photogenic villages in the world, Oia. If you like posting pictures on social media, this is a place not to be missed. This beautiful little village is unique in every way. With its curved houses and astounding colours, combined with the view of the blue sea, you will fall in love with Oia.
You can also visit the fantastic archaeological site of Akrotiri. It was preserved by volcanic ash, so today, you will get a fantastic glimpse of what life was like in 1500 BC.
But of course, when you are in Santorini, you can not miss the fantastic volcanic beaches. The volcano's eruption 3000 years ago gave Santorini its unique appearance, and here you can also find famous sandy beaches where tourists from all over the world enjoy their holidays every year. Some of the most famous volcanic beaches on the island are Blach beach (Perissa), Red beach, White beach, Kamari, and Cape Columbo.
Drive your rental car beyond Santorini Island
When you have done exploring Santorini, there are many more islands to visit. If you want to explore the entire Cyclades, which consists of more than 30 islands, you'll be pretty busy. Some of the islands are connected to the mainland by ferries. Some of them, especially the smaller ones, are only accessible by boat. It is best to join a guided tour on some of the islands, for example, Santorini. These tours are well organized, and you will learn a lot of interesting facts about the history of the area.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in excellent condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try other foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or are more interested in the interior. There are plenty of activities you can do for both options and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you plan a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Skiathos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and political background that contributes to the country's diversity.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain, and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore the area by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the provinces one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Enjoy the culture in Santorini Island
Where to eat, drink, and party in Santorini Island
Santorini is a great and well-known food destination. As with all Greek islands, there is a great emphasis on using only local produce. It is what makes the cuisine here so unique. You can experience different types of cuisine in Santorini, from fusion cuisine in fine restaurants to traditional dishes in tavernas, but there are also some fantastic seafood restaurants. And of course, if you are in Greece, do not skip one of the Gyro-joints.
Le Ciel Restaurant
Santo Athiri Restaurant
Jaipur Palace Santorini
Alisachni Art & Wine Gallery
Psatha Cocktail Bar and Restaurant
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
How do I find cheap car hire?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Alicante!
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire you will pay the remaining balance in the currency that is in the country of pick up.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add an additional driver to my booking?
You can always add an additional driver to your booking when you are finding your deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add an additional driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and you will see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
Car Hire Locations in Santorini 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Santorini
Best of Greece