Car Hire on Syros Island
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Syros Island
About Syros Island
Syros is a Greek island in the Cyclades, in the Aegean Sea. The capital of the island is Ermoupoli, located in the eastern part of the island. Ermoupoli is also an important port, which had even greater importance in the past. The landscape of the island is quite hilly and it reaches an altitude of 442 meters. The island is also the capital of the Cyclades.
It is not as popular as the neighbouring islands of Mykonos, Santorini, or Paros, but no less charming and beautiful. The fact that it is not so popular makes Syros a quiet jewel of this region. What makes Syros so special is the symbiosis between tradition and western influence. The mix of the modern and the old is vibrant here. The villages and towns of the island are picturesque and well worth a visit. With its traditional architecture, Greek spirit imbued by the friendly locals, great cuisine, and fantastic historical, cultural, and religious sites, Syros is a place not to be missed when exploring the Cyclades. It's even better if you want to spend a holiday just here on Syros. The best way to explore the island is to rent a car and drive around at your own pace and preferences. One thing is for sure, Syros will not disappoint you. It has a lot to offer and everyone can find something for themselves on this island.
Basic info and car hire on Syros Island
- Location: Cyclades, Greece
- Population: 21,507
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Syros has a Mediterranean climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Syros Island are in good condition.
- Car hire on Syros Island: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Syros Island is at Syros airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Syros Island!
Driving on Syros Island
Renting a car is the best solution on Syros if you want to explore the island properly. Traffic is very light here, so driving around is a real pleasure. The northern part of the island is rather hilly and some roads go over the hills, while the southern part of the island is rather flat.
It is best to explore the towns and villages on foot, as there are many narrow streets and pedestrian areas where you are not allowed to drive.
Fines for breaking the laws and regulations are strict and expensive. Running a red light or ignoring a stop sign will cost you 700 euros. Not wearing a seat belt in a car is punishable by 350 euros. Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free device is punishable by 100 euros. Driving under the influence of alcohol is punishable by a fine of between 200 and 1200 euros and a likely driving license suspension of between 10 days and six months, depending on how much the breathalyzer test reveals.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old, and some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to drive a car in Greece legally. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and present your valid driver's license. Only two organizations issue IDPs in the US: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company if your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for cars from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every car), first aid kit (mandatory in every car), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must fit or children under three years of age. Local authorities approve child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so because the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is not allowed in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the road to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, particular parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire on Syros Island
Most popular car hire at Syros Island
The most selected hire car in Syros Island is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Syros Island are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Syros Island
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Syros Island. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Syros-Varvarousa (7km with approximately 20 minutes of drive)
Syros-Finikas (9km with approximately 20 minutes of drive)
Syros-Schinonisi (11km with approximately 25 minutes of drive)
Syros-Megas Gialos (12km with approximately 25 minutes of drive)
What to see on Syros Island
Syros is a hidden gem of the Cyclades with many fantastic historical, cultural and religious sites to visit and also many natural wonders such as beautiful beaches, etc.
If you are taking a road trip through Syros, be sure to visit Ermoupoli, the capital of the island. This is also the cultural capital of the Cyclades, where many events take place throughout the year. For example, visit the Apollo Theatre to see an opera or stroll through the Syros Archaeological Museum.
Villages you should visit in Syros: Ano Syros, Kini, the village of Finikas, the village of Galissas, the village of Poseidonia, the village of Vary, the village of Azolimnos, the village of Megas Gialos, Syringas...
The best beaches of the island: Galissas Beach, Kini Beach, Agathopes Beach, Delfini Beach, Vary Beach, Armenos Beach, Megas Gialos Beach, Ahladi Beach, Ampela Beach, Azolimnos Beach, Finikas Beach, Fabrika Beach, Possidonia Beach, Komito Beach, Kokkina Beach, Fetouri Beach, Liaropa Beach, Santorini Beach...
Drive your rental car beyond Syros Island
If you have chosen to spend your holiday in Syros, then you have a great opportunity to explore the Cyclades. The Cyclades are a group of about 30 islands. The name Cyclades means "enclosing islands" and they were so named because they form a rough circle around the sacred island of Delos, which was the legendary birthplace of Artemis and her brother Apollo.
Each of the islands has something to offer you. The most noticeable architecture of the islands are windmills and cube-shaped, whitewashed houses. There are some great archaeological sites on each of these islands and also some fabulous beaches that you will enjoy visiting.
The largest island in the Cyclades is Naxos, which is best known for its fertile soil and the cultivation of fruit and vegetables. Besides Naxos, there are other larger islands: Thera, Ándros, Íos, Kéa, Kímolos, Kíthnos, Melos, Páros and Tínos. In general, the Cyclades are known for their export of fruit, vegetables, and wine. But also for their excellent cuisine, fantastic tourist offer, and interesting nature. It is not possible to rent a car on all islands, because some are smaller and uninhabited, so you can only explore them on foot. There are many organized tours from bigger to smaller islands. You can join one of the tours to these islands, which are usually very well organized, and you can also have lunch on the boat as you sail around the Cyclades.
But of course, Greece is so much more than islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will simply enjoy a trip around Greece. The roads are mostly in very good condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, of which around 170 are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely nice people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try different foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or if you are more interested in the interior. For both options, there are plenty of activities you can do and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you are planning a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Syros, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and also political background that contributes to the diversity of the country.
The size of the country is equal to that of Great Britain and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore region by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the regions one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party on Syros Island
Syros has always been an island known for its great variety of flavours. There are many different traditional dishes that you can try in many different restaurants and tavernas all over the island.
Syros is not exactly known as a party destination. It is more of a destination for a quiet holiday, but of course, there is nightlife on the island. Especially in the capital Ermoupoli there are some bars and clubs that are open until late at night, especially during the summer months.
Best restaurant on Syros Island
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Syros Island 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Syros Island
Best of Greece