Car Hire on Zakynthos Island
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Zakynthos Island
About Zakynthos Island
Zakynthos is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, a distinct regional entity of the Ionian Islands region and its only municipality. It is the third largest of the Ionian Islands. The island has a rich and turbulent past with many different religions and nations dominating this area in the past. The island has also changed several names throughout history. For example, the Venetians called the island Fiore di Levante, the Flower of the East. There is much truth to this Venetian name for this Greek gem. This amazing island is a very special place that you will not soon forget. With its stunning beaches, great places to party, quaint towns and villages, sea turtles, gastronomy, and much more, it is a true paradise on earth.
Zakynthos is considered the most exotic Greek island. The landscape on the island is truly unique, the villages and towns you will find on the hills give a glimpse of traditional Greek life and reveal all the romance of living in such a wonderful place on earth.
Besides the natural wonders, Zakynthos has a lot more to offer. You can indulge in many different activities on the island and also visit many amazing sights. There are some cultural, religious, and historical sites that you should not miss when you are here in Zakynthos. To explore hidden places on the island, it is best to rent a car and take a little road trip around Zakynthos. You will find ideal places where you can spend the whole day relaxing on a small hidden beach or in a village in a mountainous area of the island.
Another place you should explore is Zakynthos town. There are many interesting sights to see in the town, from various museums and galleries to some typical buildings that represent the Venetian influence on the lifestyle here.
Basic info and car hire in Zakynthos Island
- Location: Ionian Sea, Greece
- Population: 40,759
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Zakynthos has a Mediterranean climate, with mild, rainy winters and hot, sunny summers
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads on Zakynthos are in good condition.
- Car hire on Zakynthos Island: The most common pick-up point for vehicles on Zakynthos Island is at Zakynthos airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire on Zakynthos Island!
Driving on Zakynthos Island
Driving in Zakynthos varies depending on which part of the island you are travelling in. Renting a car is the best solution if you want to explore the island properly. All places on the island are accessible by car, but the quality of the roads varies from destination to destination. All the major towns are connected by wide roads that are in good condition. However, if you are visiting the mountain villages or the hidden beaches of the island, you will have to be prepared for somewhat rougher conditions from time to time, as some beaches, for example, are only accessible by dirt roads.
During the summer months, you need to be extra careful as there are many motorbikes on the roads and you should therefore reduce your speed. You should also be careful when driving on mountain roads as they can be very narrow at times. The views that you will experience while driving on the island are breathtaking. If you want to take a photo of this view, stop your vehicle at the right place and then take a photo without risking your drive.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Greece is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some rental companies for people over 75 years old. Young driver surcharges may apply to those under 25 with many rental companies.
- International Driving Permit: Visitors need a valid driving license to legally drive a car in Greece. Drivers of motorcycles up to 125cc must be at least 18 years old, while drivers of mopeds (up to 50cc) must be at least 16 years old. Driving licenses issued in EU and EEA countries are accepted. With an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can legally drive in Greece and 174 other countries and must present your valid driver's license. In the US, only two organizations issue IDPs: Automobile Association of America (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), and you can order it online if there is no office near you.
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company in case your policy does not cover you when driving in Greece).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle (mandatory in every vehicle), headlight deflectors (for vehicles from UK. Depending on the vehicle, you may either need deflector stickers or have to manually adjust the beam), fire extinguisher (mandatory in every vehicle), first aid kit (mandatory in every vehicle), warning triangles, spare wheels are required, and hands-free devices with hearing aids if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: A suitable child seat must be fitted in the car for children under 3 years of age. Child restraint systems that comply with the ECE R44/03 standard are approved by local authorities. A suitable child seat should also be used for children between 3 and 11 years of age who are smaller than 1.35 meters. Adult seat belts are already approved for children over 12 years of age and over 1.35 meters tall. If you wish to fit a rear-facing child seat, you may do so on the condition that the front passenger airbag is deactivated.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: In poor daytime visibility, use low beam headlights. The use of high beams in cities is strictly prohibited.
- General speed limits: Unless otherwise stated, the maximum speed on the motorway is 120 km per hour. On rural roads, you may drive 110 km/68 mi per hour. In residential areas, the speed limit is 50 km/31 mi per hour.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is prohibited in Greece: Within 5 meters (m) of intersections, within 15m of railway crossings, within 15m of bus and tram stops, within 3m of a fire hydrant, within 5m of a stop sign, or traffic light. In some streets, signs indicate which side of the street to park on. Parking fees vary from city to city, with meters usually operating between 30 minutes and two hours. In Athens, special parking areas are reserved for tourists. EU disability cards should be recognized in Greece. However, to be on the safe side, you should apply for a card from the Institute for the Rehabilitation of Disabled People in Athens or from local prefects in other provinces.
Car Hire in Zakynthos Island
Most popular car hire at Zakynthos Island
The most selected hire car in Zakynthos Island is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Zakynthos Island are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Zakynthos Island
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Zakynthos Island. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Greece.
Zakynthos-Vasilikos (15km with approximately 25 minutes of drive)
Zakynthos-Volimes (32km with approximately 50 minutes of drive)
Zakynthos-Korithi (34km with approximately 1 hour of drive)
Zakynthos-Keri (16km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
What to see on Zakynthos Island
Renting a car in Zakynthos is the perfect decision for any traveller. There are so many different and unique places to visit on this island that it would be a shame to miss them. When you travel around Zakynthos by car, you can be sure that you will visit all the places you want to visit. They are all accessible by car, so all you need to do is rent a car, buckle up and drive safely!
The capital Zakynthos Town is a place you should explore, as there are so many attractions to visit that you should make a good plan before you start your trip.
For example, you can visit attractions such as Solomos Square, the Post-Byzantine Museum of Zakynthos at Solomos Square, the coastal street Strata Marina, one of the busiest streets in the city with cafes, bars and restaurants, Aghios Markos Square, Rouga Street with its impressive arcades, which has been the main commercial centre of the city for centuries, and the Venetian Castle.
Churches you can visit: Aghios Nikolaos tou Molou, Aghios Dionysios, Aghios Markos, Aghios Georgios, Panaghia Pikardiotissa.
Beaches: Laganas, Gerakas, Vasilikos, Marathonisi, the Blue Caves, Shipwreck Beach.
Drive your rental car beyond Zakynthos Island
When you are done exploring Zakynthos, there are so many great places to visit in this area that you should make a good plan before you go any further. There are many islands around Zakynthos here in the Ionian Sea. Some of them are connected to Zakynthos by ferry and you can also drive around on these islands, while some are only accessible by boat. To explore these islands, it is best to join a guided tour. On these tours, you will learn a lot about the history and nature of this area as well as some mystical Greek myths, as Greece is known for its mythology.
But of course, Greece is so much more than just islands. There are so many fantastic places in this country that you will simply enjoy a trip through Greece. The roads are mostly in very good condition, so you will have to think carefully about which parts of the country you want to explore.
Greece or many would say the cradle of western civilization, is the southernmost country in the Balkan Peninsula. This perfectly situated country of over 2000 islands, around 170 of which are inhabited, has access to the whole world via the sea and also has a beautiful inland area full of mountains and volcanic soil, a rich culture, many historical and religious sites, delicious food and genuinely nice people - a place that every person should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are so many different things to see and do here that you are sure to find something for yourself.
If you are planning a holiday to Greece, you should make a good plan. A rental car is the best solution if you want to explore the country to see different places, try different foods and meet different people from different parts of Greece. First, you need to decide if you want to explore the islands or if you are more interested in the interior. For both options, there are plenty of activities you can do and plenty of sights you can visit.
Athens, the capital of Greece, is one of the cities you should visit if you are planning a road trip through Greece. Athens is something very different from Zakynthos, but no less interesting and exciting. Greece is a country that is a mixture of Europe, the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It sits at the crossroads of Europe, Asia, and Africa and is the legacy of classical Greece, the Byzantine Empire, and almost four centuries of Ottoman rule. All this gives the country a great religious, cultural, architectural, and also political background that contributes to the diversity of the country.
The size of the country is equal to that of Britain and it is divided into six main regions: Central Greece: the Píndos Mountains, North-Eastern Greece: Makedonía and Thráki, Eastern Greece: Thessalía and Attikí, Southern Greece: the Pelopónnisos, Western Greece: Ípeiros and Akarnanía, The Islands of Greece. Each of these regions has something to offer you. It is best to rent a car and explore region by region. You will need time to explore this country well, so it may be best to explore the regions one by one. The roads in Greece are in good condition, the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, the food is delicious and the sights are breathtaking, so all you have to do is buckle up and drive safely.
Where to eat, drink, and party on Zakynthos Island
When in Greece, you have the perfect opportunity for a great culinary experience. In Zakynthos, you can try some amazing local dishes that are associated with this island. But of course, some restaurants offer menus from other parts of Greece and from all over the world. In the port of Zakynthos, you can eat in some delicious fish restaurants. It is a special experience to eat fish and seafood here because all the ingredients are fresh and come directly from the sea.
Zakynthos is also a popular destination for all travellers who are looking for a place where you can combine partying and relaxing on the beaches. If you are looking for lively nightlife, Laganas is the best place for it. Its beach parties and clubs by the sea are legendary.
Best restaurant on Zakynthos Island
San Leon Tavern Restaurant
Country Steakhouse Restaurant
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Zakynthos Island 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Zakynthos Island
Best of Greece