Car Hire in Leknes
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Leknes
The picturesque coastal town of Leknes is set amidst the dramatic landscape of Norway's Lofoten Islands, beckoning travelers with its natural splendor and rich culture. When exploring this enchanting destination, a reliable rental car will be your key to discovering the treasures that lie beyond the beaten track.
1. Arctic culinary delights: There's a thriving culinary scene in Leknes that revolves around maritime heritage. Enjoy the freshest seafood, from succulent Arctic cod and halibut to delicious king crab. Try traditional dishes such as "klippfisk'," dried and salted fish prepared with authentic Norwegian flavors.
2. Picturesque fishing villages: Discover the charming fishing villages along the rugged coastline of Leknes on a scenic drive. Immerse yourself in the local way of life and watch the fishermen return with their daily catch.
3. Midnight Sun: In the summer months, Leknes experiences the magical phenomenon of the midnight sun, where the sun never sets, bathing the landscape in a heavenly light. Take a drive to nearby viewpoints to watch the sun on the horizon.
4. Hiking and nature treks: Leknes is a paradise for nature lovers and hikers. With your rental car, you can easily access numerous hiking trails that lead to majestic peaks, tranquil lakes, and quiet beaches.
5. Viking heritage: Explore the Viking history that reverberates through the region. Visit the Lofotr Viking Museum in Borg, just a short drive away. There you can travel back in time and experience authentic Viking culture.
6. Birdwatching: Leknes is a birdwatcher's paradise and offers the opportunity to see various species of seabirds, including puffins, kittiwakes, and guillemots. Drive to designated birdwatching spots to get the best view of them.
7. Arts and crafts: Explore the local arts and crafts scene in Leknes, from pottery to glassblowing to traditional knitting. Visit galleries and workshops to admire the creativity of local artisans.
8. Arctic beaches: Head to the pristine beaches of the Arctic with golden sands and turquoise waters. Enjoy a relaxing walk or a swim in the refreshing sea surrounded by breathtaking scenery.
9. Cultural festivals: Leknes hosts various cultural events and festivals throughout the year. From music festivals to food markets, these events offer a glimpse into the vibrant culture and community spirit of the region.
10. Northern Lights: In winter, Leknes is a great vantage point for watching the mesmerizing Northern Lights dance across the Arctic sky. Venture into dark, remote areas to experience an unforgettable celestial spectacle.
Experience the authenticity of Norway's northern wonders and create unforgettable memories as you traverse this Nordic gem with ease.
Basic info and car hire in Leknes
- Location: Norway
- Population: 3,556
- Official language: Norwegian
- Currency: Norwegian krone (NOK)
- Weather: Oceanic climate, with plentiful rainfall in all seasons, and intermittent snowfall during winter.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Across most of Norway, the roads are in excellent condition.
- Car hire in Leknes: Hiring a car at Leknes Airport and Leknes Downtown at Orbit Car Hire gives you a lot of freedom to travel throughout Norway at your own pace. With a wide selection of vehicles, you can be sure to find the vehicle that suits your needs and will benefit you the most on your trip.
Driving in Leknes
Embark on a scenic drive through the charming town of Leknes, set amidst the stunning landscapes of Norway's Lofoten archipelago. With a reliable car hire, you can explore this Nordic gem at your own pace and immerse yourself in its natural splendor and vibrant culture.
1. Road trip amidst majestic landscapes: Leknes is surrounded by breathtaking views of mountains, fjords, and pristine beaches. As you travel along the well-maintained roads, be prepared to see some of Norway's most beautiful scenery unfold before your eyes.
2. Coastal wonders: Drive into Leknes and explore the picturesque fishing villages that line the coast. Marvel at the sight of fishing boats bobbing in the waters, surrounded by charming red and yellow houses.
3. Easy access: Leknes is a great base for exploring the rest of Lofoten. With your rental car, you can easily reach nearby towns, hiking trails, and cultural attractions.
4. Embrace the midnight sun: During the summer months, the midnight sun graces Leknes with its presence, providing endless daylight. Take advantage of the extended daylight hours to engage in outdoor activities and explore the beauty of the region even late at night.
5. Winter wonderland: In winter, Leknes transforms into a magical winter wonderland. Chase the Northern Lights across the Arctic sky in your rental car or engage in exciting winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding.
6. Safe and well-signposted roads: Driving in Leknes is a safe and enjoyable experience, with well-signposted roads and scenic routes. Be careful on narrow roads and be prepared for occasional changes in the weather.
7. A birdwatcher's paradise, look out for a variety of seabirds including puffins, fulmars, and cormorants as you drive along the coast. Leknes offers plenty of opportunities for birdwatchers.
8. Cultural insights: Since you can travel comfortably by car, you have the opportunity to explore cultural sights, museums, and craft galleries. Immerse yourself in the way of life of the locals and be inspired by the warm hospitality of the community.
9. Adventurous excursions: With your rental car as your trusty companion, you can embark on adventurous excursions such as hiking, fishing, and discovering hidden gems off the beaten track.
10. Stunning photography: On your drive through Leknes, have your camera ready to capture the stunning landscapes, picturesque villages, and scenic views that abound.
Leknes beckons with its natural wonders and cultural charms. Whether you come during the midnight sun or chase the Northern Lights, a drive through Leknes promises an unforgettable journey through Norway's coastal paradise.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Drivers need to have held a valid driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket. If there is snow or ice covering the roads, winter tires, studded tires or snow chains are compulsory (motorhomes & RV’s over 3,500kg must use snow chains). You can be fined for traveling on icy/snowy roads using summer tires only. You can expect your vehicle to be checked at or near the border in winter – if you are not carrying or using the right tires you must purchase them or return to the border.
- Children in the car: Seat belts are compulsory for both drivers and passengers. Children under 36 kilograms or 135 centimeters in height must use a car seat.
- Driving side of the road: In Norway, you drive on the right side of the road.
- Lights: Headlights set to dipped beam must be used whatever time of day you’re driving and regardless of whether it’s sunny or not. This is to make sure you’re always visible to other drivers so you stay safe.
- General speed limits: Norway has four general speed limits; Residential areas – 30km/h, Other built-up areas – 50km/h, Rural roads – 80km/h, Motorways – 90km/h
Car Hire in Leknes
Most popular car hire at Leknes
The most selected hire car in Leknes is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also popular options. The most popular car types in Leknes are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Leknes
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Leknes. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Norway.
- Leknes-Bergen (1743km with approximately 26 hours of drive)
- Leknes--Oslo (1449km with approximately 20,5 hours of drive)
- Leknes--Tromsoe (488km with approximately 7 hours of drive)
- Leknes--Molde (1072km with approximately 17,5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Leknes
When you set foot in the picturesque town of Leknes in Norway's Lofoten Islands, there are a number of stunning destinations waiting for you to discover. With a reliable rental car, you can leave Leknes to explore the natural wonders and cultural treasures of this Nordic paradise.
1. Haukland Strand (approx. 15 km from Leknes): Prepare to be mesmerized by Haukland Beach, known for its powder-white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters. Surrounded by majestic mountains, this beach provides the perfect backdrop for a relaxing day of sunbathing and beach walks.
2. Reine (approx. 40 km from Leknes): Head to the iconic fishing village of Reine, known for its stunning red and yellow cottages set against a backdrop of dramatic mountains. Take a scenic hike to Reinebringen for unparalleled panoramic views of the archipelago.
3. Nusfjord (approx. 34 km from Leknes): Step back in time when you visit Nusfjord, a well-preserved fishing village that exudes charm and history. Stroll along the wooden docks and enjoy a touch of authentic Nordic culture.
4. Uttakleiv beach (approx. 22 km from Leknes): Uttakleiv beach is a photographer's paradise with its golden sand, rugged cliffs, and enchanting northern lights on winter nights.
5. Svolvær (approx. 64 km from Leknes): Drive to the lively town of Svolvær, where you can visit art galleries, sample local cuisine, and join an exciting safari to spot seabirds and marine life.
6. Kvalvika Beach (approx. 19 km from Leknes): Embark on a moderate hike to Kvalvika Beach, which is surrounded by steep cliffs and offers a secluded spot to enjoy the tranquillity of nature.
7. Ballstad (approx. 25 km from Leknes): Discover Ballstad, a charming fishing village with colorful houses and a picturesque harbor. Enjoy fresh seafood in the local restaurants and watch the fishermen at work.
8. Ramberg (approx. 42 km from Leknes): Visit Ramberg, which is known for its stunning natural beauty. The beach is right on the open sea and the mountains form a stunning backdrop.
9. Nusfjord-Vikten (approx. 43 km from Leknes): Drive to the picturesque villages of Nusfjord and Vikten, both of which offer stunning scenery and opportunities for hiking and photography.
10. Gimsøy (approx. 32 km from Leknes): Explore Gimsøy, a quiet island known for its peaceful atmosphere and ideal for leisurely walks along the coast.
With a rental car, you can enjoy the freedom of discovering these hidden gems in the Leknes area. Embark on an unforgettable journey through the Lofoten archipelago and immerse yourself in the incomparable beauty of the northern Norwegian wonderland.
What to see in Leknes
Set amidst the stunning landscapes of Norway's Lofoten Islands, the town of Leknes is the gateway to an enchanting Nordic adventure. Explore the best of Leknes with a rental car and immerse yourself in the city's breathtaking beauty and cultural treasures.
1. Hiking and nature trails: Lace up your hiking boots and head out on the scenic nature trails that exist in and around Leknes. From easy coastal walks to challenging mountain hikes, each trail promises panoramic views and wildlife encounters.
2. Lofotr Viking Museum: Take a journey back in time to the Lofotr Viking Museum, a reconstructed longhouse of a Viking chieftain. Immerse yourself in the Viking era through exhibitions, re-enactments, and interactive experiences.
3. Unstad Arctic Surf: Experience the thrill of surfing amidst Arctic waters at Unstad Beach, a renowned surf spot. Whether you are an experienced surfer or a beginner, Unstad offers an unforgettable adventure in the water.
4. Gravdal Golf Club: Tee off at Gravdal Golf Club amidst breathtaking views of the fjord and mountains. This picturesque 9-hole golf course is a golfer's paradise surrounded by beautiful Norwegian nature.
5. Chasing the Northern Lights: In winter, chase the mesmerizing Northern Lights dancing across the Arctic sky. Leknes' strategic location offers excellent opportunities to watch this celestial spectacle.
6. Haukland Beach: Enjoy the beauty of Haukland Beach with its soft sand and emerald green water. An ideal place for a relaxing day at the beach or to take stunning photos.
7. Fishing trips: Take part in traditional Arctic fishing by joining a fishing trip from Leknes. Experience the thrill of reeling in your catch amidst a breathtaking seascape.
8. Å village: Head to Å, a charming fishing village, and explore the historic architecture and museums. The village offers insights into Norwegian fishing traditions.
9. Midnight Sun Adventure: Enjoy the magic of the midnight sun in summer, when the sun never sets. Take part in outdoor activities and enjoy the extended daylight hours.
10. Arctic wildlife watching: Look out for wildlife as you cruise through the Lofoten archipelago. Seabirds, seals, and even whales can make an appearance, offering nature lovers a wonderful experience.
Leknes is a paradise for those seeking an authentic Norwegian adventure amidst unparalleled natural beauty. Discover the wonders of Leknes and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Drive your rental car beyond Leknes
With its breathtaking landscapes and pristine wilderness, Norway is a paradise for adventurers who want to immerse themselves in the wonders of nature. When planning your Norway adventure, consider the convenience and flexibility of a rental car to explore this Nordic gem. With a reliable vehicle, you can traverse the scenic routes of Norway, discovering hidden treasures and creating unforgettable memories along the way.
Fjordland: The majestic fjords of Norway are a symbol of the country's natural beauty. Drive along winding roads that hug the deep blue waters and experience the grandeur of these steep-sided valleys carved by glaciers. Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, offer some of the most breathtaking views in the world.
National Parks: Norway has a multitude of national parks, each with its own charm. Explore Jotunheimen National Park, home to Norway's highest peaks and impressive glaciers. Drive through Hardangervidda National Park, known for its rugged plateaus and waterfalls. Be sure to venture into Dovrefjell-Sunndalsfjella National Park, where you may encounter wild musk oxen roaming free.
The Atlantic Road: take a scenic drive along the Atlantic Road, an engineering marvel that winds through small islands and skerries, connecting the mainland to the island of Averøy. Marvel at the breathtaking coastal scenery and watch the waves crash against the rugged coastline.
Lofoten Islands: A visit to Norway is incomplete without exploring the enchanting Lofoten Islands. Drive the E10, which spans several of these islands, and experience breathtaking seascapes, fishing villages, and towering mountains. The midnight sun and northern lights add to the allure of this Arctic paradise.
Arctic Circle: Cross the Arctic Circle and experience the unique phenomenon of the midnight sun during the summer months. Drive to Nordkapp, the northernmost point in Europe, and feel like you are on the edge of the world.
Waterfalls and Glaciers: Norway is littered with magnificent waterfalls and glaciers that will amaze you. Experience the majestic Seven Sisters waterfall in Geiranger, the thundering Vøringsfossen in Eidfjord, and the mighty Jostedalsbreen glacier, the largest glacier in mainland Europe.
Norway's panoramic roads: Norway's designated scenic roads offer some of the most scenic drives in the world. Take the Trollstigen route to experience hairpin turns and panoramic views, or drive Gamle Strynefjellsvegen for a trip back in time.
When traveling through Norway by car, you have the freedom to enjoy the country's natural beauty and stop whenever and wherever you want. Whether you want to see the Northern Lights, hike in the national parks, or marvel at the fjords...
Book your rental car today and embark on an epic journey through the scenic wonders of Norway. Experience the thrill of exploring one of the world's most fascinating destinations, all from the comfort of your own car. Start your unforgettable road trip through Norway today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Leknes
In the heart of Norway's Lofoten archipelago, the town of Leknes offers a culinary experience to tantalize the taste buds and delight gourmets. Savor the fresh and authentic Nordic flavors as you explore Leknes' local eateries and restaurants.
Enjoy the catch of the day, with succulent seafood straight from the Arctic waters. Enjoy traditional dishes such as "lutefisk" and "rakfisk", which reflect the region's rich culinary heritage. Leknes' culinary scene reflects the natural riches of the surrounding landscapes, with every bite revealing the essence of the Arctic.
With a rental car, you can enjoy the gastronomic wonders of Leknes and embark on a culinary journey unlike any other.
Best restaurant in Leknes
Sans Og Samling
Lofoten Seafood Center
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick-up. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Leknes
Best of Norway