Car Hire in Molde
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Molde
Situated on the stunning Romsdal Peninsula, Molde is a picturesque town that exudes Norwegian charm and natural beauty. When you set out to explore this gem of a city, a rental car becomes your key to unlocking a world of wonder.
1. Fjord Exploration: With its strategic location on the Romsdalsfjord, Molde is a great base for fjord exploration. Drive along the scenic coastal roads and experience the majestic fjords that wind through the landscape, offering unforgettable views at every turn.
2. Coastal walks: Stroll along the city's waterfront promenades and enjoy peaceful walks along the coast. The maritime ambiance of Molde is accompanied by the gentle sounds of the waves lapping against the shore.
3. Molde Panorama: Head to the Varden viewpoint, also known as Molde Panorama, for a breathtaking panoramic view of the city, fjords, and surrounding mountains. The view is especially magical at sunrise and sunset.
4. Cultural heritage: Immerse yourself in Molde's rich cultural heritage at the Romsdal Museum. Explore historical buildings and artifacts that give an insight into the city's past, traditions, and way of life.
5. Beaches and picnics: Visit idyllic sandy beaches such as Bolsøya and Hjertøya, where you can enjoy a cozy picnic while taking in the tranquil coastal atmosphere.
6. Romsdal Alps: For adventurers, the Romsdal Alps offer a playground full of hiking and climbing opportunities. Head to the hiking trails and embark on unforgettable outdoor expeditions.
7. Island hopping: Hop on a ferry and explore nearby islands such as Sekken and Veøya. Each island has its own charm and natural beauty and is perfect for a day of island hopping.
8. Local cuisine: Savour the flavors of traditional Norwegian dishes at local restaurants and cafés. From delicious seafood to hearty Norwegian stews, Molde's culinary scene promises a delicious gastronomic experience.
9. Geirangerfjord excursion: Take a day trip to the nearby Geirangerfjord ( UNESCO), known for its dramatic cliffs, waterfalls, and heavenly beauty.
10. Aurora hunting: In winter, Molde offers a great vantage point for hunting the fascinating Northern Lights. Venture into the wilderness, away from the city lights, and be enchanted by the celestial spectacle.
Molde, with its mix of coastal splendor, mountain splendor, and rich culture, is waiting for you to explore. With a reliable rental car, you have the freedom to discover the hidden treasures of this enchanting city and the breathtaking landscapes that surround it. Discover the allure of Molde, where the beauty of nature and Norwegian hospitality form a harmonious symphony.
Basic info and car hire in Molde
- Location: Norway
- Population: 32,002
- Official language: Norwegian
- Currency: Norwegian krone ( NOK )
- Weather: In Molde, the summers are cool and partly cloudy; the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy; and it is wet year round.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Molde are generally good, but it's always a good idea to be prepared for the unexpected. Be sure to check the weather forecast before you leave and pack a winter coat if you are travelling in the winter.
- Car hire in Molde: Molde car hire is a great way to see all of these attractions. Car hire in Molde is a great way to see the city. There are many different options for car hire, so be sure to do your research before you book. Car hire can be a great way to see all of the sights that Molde has to offer.
Driving in Molde
When you head to the charming city of Molde in Norway, a rental car becomes your key to an unforgettable adventure. Nestled in the stunning Romsdal Peninsula, Molde offers a picturesque driving experience that combines natural splendor with a touch of urban sophistication.
1. Scenic coastal roads: Enjoy the beauty of Molde's coastal landscape on the scenic roads that wind around the majestic Romsdalsfjord. The shimmering waters and surrounding mountains provide a fascinating backdrop to your journey.
2. Convenience in the city center: Navigating the city center is a breeze with your rental car. Explore Molde's charming streets, adorned with historic architecture and bustling activity.
3. Molde Panorama: Drive up to the famous Varden viewpoint for panoramic views of the city, fjords, and snow-capped peaks. The breathtaking scenery is a photographer's dream.
4. Island hopping: Use your rental car to explore nearby islands like Sekken and Veøya. These idyllic havens offer quiet beaches and authentic coastal charm.
5. Romsdal Museum: Head to the Romsdal Museum where you can immerse yourself in Molde's cultural heritage. Discover well-preserved buildings and artifacts that tell of the city's fascinating history.
6. Coastal excursions: Stroll along Molde's inviting coastal streets and enjoy the soothing sound of the waves and the fresh sea air. Plan a picnic on one of the picturesque beaches for a lovely break.
7. Outdoor adventure: Venture beyond the city limits and explore the wilderness of the Romsdal Alps. Hikers and nature lovers will find plenty of trails to explore.
8. Fjord cruises: Park your rental car and embark on a scenic fjord cruise to experience the stunning beauty of the region's famous fjords.
9. Winter wonderland: In winter, chase the mesmerizing Northern Lights with your rental car or take part in exciting snow activities at the nearby Winter Wonderland.
10. Local culinary delights: Take a tour of Molde and discover authentic restaurants and cafés where you can enjoy the flavors of Norwegian cuisine and delicious fish specialties.
With the freedom of a rental car, navigating the charming streets of Molde becomes a delightful and comfortable experience. Enjoy the journey as you explore the coastal views, mountain landscapes, and cultural treasures that make Molde a truly magical destination in Norway.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Drivers need to have held a valid driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket. If there is snow or ice covering the roads, winter tires, studded tires or snow chains are compulsory (motorhomes & RV’s over 3,500kg must use snow chains). You can be fined for traveling on icy/snowy roads using summer tires only. You can expect your vehicle to be checked at or near the border in winter – if you are not carrying or using the right tires you must purchase them or return to the border.
- Children in the car: Seat belts are compulsory for both drivers and passengers. Children under 36 kilograms or 135 centimeters in height must use a car seat.
- Driving side of the road: In Norway, you drive on the right side of the road.
- Lights: Headlights set to dipped beam must be used whatever time of day you’re driving and regardless of whether it’s sunny or not. This is to make sure you’re always visible to other drivers so you stay safe.
- General speed limits: Norway has four general speed limits; Residential areas – 30km/h, Other built-up areas – 50km/h, Rural roads – 80km/h, Motorways – 90km/h
Car Hire in Molde
Most popular car hire at Molde
The most selected hire car in Molde is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also popular options. The most popular car types in Molde are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Molde
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Molde. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Norway.
- Molde-Bergen (449km with approximately 8,5 hours of drive)
- Molde-Oslo (496km with approximately 7 hours of drive)
- Molde-Tromsoe (1623km with approximately 21 hours of drive)
- Molde-Bodo (1187km with approximately 16 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Molde
Embark on an unforgettable adventure in Molde, Norway with a rental car. The surrounding region offers a wealth of natural beauty and cultural treasures perfect for a day trip. Hop in your car and embark on a journey of exploration and discovery!
1. Geirangerfjord: Drive along scenic roads to reach the world-famous Geirangerfjord, which is a World Heritage Site at UNESCO. Marvel at the stunning landscapes, waterfalls, and towering cliffs that characterize this magnificent fjord.
2. Atlantic Road: Experience the thrill of driving the Atlantic Road, one of Norway's most scenic routes. The road winds through archipelagos and over bridges, offering breathtaking views of the ocean and surrounding islands.
3. Trollstigen: Drive to Trollstigen, also known as the Troll Trail, where hairpin bends lead to the top of the mountains. Enjoy the breathtaking views of steep cliffs and waterfalls plunging into the depths from the viewing platforms.
4. Alesund: Explore the charming town of Alesund, known for its Art Nouveau architecture and coastal charm. Stroll the streets, visit museums, and sample the local seafood delicacies.
5. Molde Panorama: Stay closer to home and head to the iconic Varden viewpoint in Molde itself. The Molde Panorama offers panoramic views of the city, fjord, and surrounding mountains.
6. Romsdalseggen Ridge: For outdoor enthusiasts, the Romsdalseggen Ridge hike promises an exciting experience. The trail offers sweeping views of the Romsdalsfjord and surrounding landscapes.
7. Tustna: Cross over to the island of Tustna, where tranquillity and natural beauty await you. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, hike along the coast, or simply relax on the pristine beaches.
8. Kristiansund: Take a scenic drive to the coastal town of Kristiansund, known for its rich maritime history and vibrant culture. Explore the charming streets, visit the harbor, and enjoy the local seafood delicacies.
9. Hjorundfjord: Embark on a scenic drive to Hjorundfjord, a hidden gem surrounded by majestic mountains. The peaceful surroundings and crystal clear waters provide an ideal escape from the bustling city.
10. Eikesdal: Head to Eikesdal and be enchanted by the stunning lake Eikesdalsvatnet, surrounded by rugged mountains. For an exciting experience, take a boat trip to the Mardalsfossen waterfall, one of the highest in Europe.
With a rental car, the best day trip destinations are within easy reach of Molde, so you can enjoy the natural wonders and cultural treasures of Norway. Plan your next adventure and create lasting memories in this enchanting land of fjords and mountains.
What to see in Molde
Welcome to Molde, a picturesque town nestled between fjords and mountains on the west coast of Norway. With its stunning landscapes and rich cultural heritage, Molde is a true gem waiting to be explored. Hire a car and embark on an unforgettable adventure to discover the best of Molde.
1. Molde Panorama: Start your trip with a drive to the iconic Varden viewpoint, which offers the famous "Molde Panorama" Enjoy the breathtaking views of the city, the glittering Moldefjord, and the snow-capped peaks of the Romsdal Alps.
2. Romsdal Museum: Immerse yourself in the history and culture of the region at the Romsdal Museum. Traditional buildings and artifacts are displayed in this open-air museum, giving you an insight into life in the past.
3. The Rose Garden: Stroll through Molde's charming Rose Garden, one of Norway's largest and most beautiful rose gardens. With over 1,000 different varieties of roses, it is a vibrant and fragrant oasis.
4. Aker Stadium: If you are a sports fan, you should watch a football match at Aker Stadium. Feel the electrifying atmosphere as you cheer on local team Molde FK.
5. Molde Cathedral: Visit the elegant Molde Cathedral, an impressive neo-Gothic church from the late 19th century. Admire the intricate stained glass windows and tranquil interior.
6. Molde International Jazz Festival: If you are lucky enough to visit the city in July, do not miss the renowned Molde International Jazz Festival, which attracts jazz fans from all over the world.
7. Moldebadet: Enjoy some relaxation and fun at Moldebadet, the city's modern swimming complex. Take a dip in the pool, relax in the sauna or have fun on the exciting water slides.
8. Island hopping: Explore nearby islands such as Sekken and Veoya in your rental car. These charming islands offer beautiful scenery, charming villages, and opportunities for hiking and fishing.
9. Troll Church (Trollkyrkja): Drive to the nearby village of Veblungsnes to visit the impressive natural wonder that is Troll Church. This striking rock formation resembles a cathedral and is a popular hiking destination.
10. Fishing in the fjords: Take advantage of Mude's coastal location and try your hand at fishing in the fjords. Whether you are an experienced angler or a beginner, this is an experience you will never forget.
Molde offers a perfect blend of nature, culture, and adventure, making it an ideal destination for travelers seeking a truly Norwegian experience. With a rental car, you have the freedom to explore the best of this charming city and its surroundings. Plan your Molde adventure today and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Drive your rental car beyond Molde
With its breathtaking landscapes and pristine wilderness, Norway is a paradise for adventurers who want to immerse themselves in the wonders of nature. When planning your Norway adventure, consider the convenience and flexibility of a rental car to explore this Nordic gem. With a reliable vehicle, you can traverse the scenic routes of Norway, discovering hidden treasures and creating unforgettable memories along the way.
Fjordland: The majestic fjords of Norway are a symbol of the country's natural beauty. Drive along winding roads that hug the deep blue waters and experience the grandeur of these steep-sided valleys carved by glaciers. Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, offer some of the most breathtaking views in the world.
National Parks: Norway has a multitude of national parks, each with its own charm. Explore Jotunheimen National Park, home to Norway's highest peaks and impressive glaciers. Drive through Hardangervidda National Park, known for its rugged plateaus and waterfalls. Be sure to venture into Dovrefjell-Sunndalsfjella National Park, where you may encounter wild musk oxen roaming free.
The Atlantic Road: take a scenic drive along the Atlantic Road, an engineering marvel that winds through small islands and skerries, connecting the mainland to the island of Averøy. Marvel at the breathtaking coastal scenery and watch the waves crash against the rugged coastline.
Lofoten Islands: A visit to Norway is incomplete without exploring the enchanting Lofoten Islands. Drive the E10, which spans several of these islands, and experience breathtaking seascapes, fishing villages, and towering mountains. The midnight sun and northern lights add to the allure of this Arctic paradise.
Arctic Circle: Cross the Arctic Circle and experience the unique phenomenon of the midnight sun during the summer months. Drive to Nordkapp, the northernmost point in Europe, and feel like you are on the edge of the world.
Waterfalls and Glaciers: Norway is littered with magnificent waterfalls and glaciers that will amaze you. Experience the majestic Seven Sisters waterfall in Geiranger, the thundering Vøringsfossen in Eidfjord, and the mighty Jostedalsbreen glacier, the largest glacier in mainland Europe.
Norway's panoramic roads: Norway's designated scenic roads offer some of the most scenic drives in the world. Take the Trollstigen route to experience hairpin turns and panoramic views, or drive Gamle Strynefjellsvegen for a trip back in time.
When traveling through Norway by car, you have the freedom to enjoy the country's natural beauty and stop whenever and wherever you want. Whether you want to see the Northern Lights, hike in the national parks, or marvel at the fjords...
Book your rental car today and embark on an epic journey through the scenic wonders of Norway. Experience the thrill of exploring one of the world's most fascinating destinations, all from the comfort of your own car. Start your unforgettable road trip through Norway today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Molde
Welcome to Molde, where culinary delights await you amidst Norway's breathtaking landscapes. As you explore this charming city in your rental car, take your taste buds on an unforgettable journey.
Enjoy fresh seafood caught in the nearby fjords, indulge in traditional Norwegian dishes such as "rakfisk" (fermented fish), and treat yourself to delicious pastries. Do not miss the opportunity to visit the local cafés and restaurants where you can experience the warm hospitality of the locals while enjoying delicious Norwegian cuisine. Let the flavours of Molde enchant you and let your culinary adventure enhance your travel experience in this charming city.
Best restaurant in Molde
Restaurant Molde Fjordstuer
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Molde
Best of Norway