Car Hire in Stavanger
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Stavanger
Located on the southwestern coast of Norway, Stavanger is a vibrant city that offers a mix of history, culture, and natural beauty. When planning your visit to this charming place, consider exploring Stavanger with a rental car. With a well-maintained vehicle, you can easily explore the charming streets of Stavanger and the surrounding landscapes.
Historic charm: Stroll through Stavanger's picturesque old town, known as Gamle Stavanger, and marvel at the well-preserved 18th-century wooden houses. Delve into the city's rich history and learn about the seafaring past at the Norwegian Petroleum Museum.
Culinary paradise: Stavanger has a vibrant culinary scene with a variety of restaurants and eateries to suit all tastes. At the local fish markets and waterfront restaurants, you can sample freshly caught seafood such as succulent cod and delicious salmon.
Beaches and nature: Experience the charm of Stavanger's picturesque beaches and the surrounding nature. Head to Sola Beach, a popular spot for windsurfing and kiteboarding, or explore the scenic hiking trails in nearby parks and nature reserves.
Art and culture: Discover the creative side of Stavanger by visiting the art galleries and cultural centers. The city hosts numerous art festivals and events, making it an ideal destination for art enthusiasts.
Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen): Although not a tourist attraction, Pulpit Rock deserves special mention. It's a popular hiking destination and you can admire the impressive view of this iconic cliff from various vantage points around Stavanger.
Island hopping: Use your rental car to explore the surrounding islands, such as Karmøy and Rennesøy. Each island has its own charm, with picturesque landscapes, charming villages, and historical sites waiting to be discovered.
With a rental car, you can effortlessly discover the hidden gems of Stavanger while immersing yourself in the city's history, culinary delights, and natural wonders. Book your rental car today and get ready to discover the treasures of this charming coastal city.
Basic info and car hire in Stavanger
- Location: Southwestern Norway
- Population: 130,754
- Official language: Norwegian
- Currency: Norwegian krone ( NOK )
- Weather: In Stavanger, the summers are cool and partly cloudy; the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy; and it is wet year round.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Stavanger are generally good, but it's always a good idea to be prepared for the unexpected. Be sure to check the weather forecast before you leave and pack a winter coat if you are traveling in the winter.
- Car hire in Stavanger: Stavanger car hire is a great way to see all of these attractions. Car hire in Stavanger is a great way to see the city. There are many different options for car hire, so be sure to do your research before you book. Car hire can be a great way to see all of the sights that Stavanger has to offer.
Driving in Stavanger
If you're heading to the charming city of Stavanger in Norway, there's no better way to explore its wonders than with a rental car. With well-maintained vehicles at your disposal, you can easily explore the charming streets of Stavanger and the surrounding landscapes.
Traffic etiquette: Driving in Norway is a pleasure, as the country strictly adheres to the rules of the road. Always keep a safe distance from other vehicles and be considerate of pedestrians and cyclists.
Scenic routes: Stavanger offers breathtaking panoramic roads leading to stunning fjords, charming coastal villages, and picturesque beaches. Don't miss the opportunity to explore the stunning Lysefjord or drive along the beautiful Jæren coast.
Parking: When exploring Stavanger city center, make sure to use the designated parking areas. Check for parking restrictions to avoid inconvenience.
Toll roads: Some roads in Norway require you to pay a toll, which is usually done electronically. Have electronic payment options ready or ask about tolls when you pick up your rental car.
Weather conditions: The weather in Norway can be unpredictable, especially in winter. Drive carefully in ice and snow and check the weather forecast before you start your journey.
Roundabouts: Stavanger, like many Norwegian cities, has roundabouts. Watch out for traffic already in the roundabout and always use the indicator when leaving the roundabout.
City highlights: Use your rental car to explore Stavanger's landmarks, such as the historic wooden houses of Gamle Stavanger and the impressive Stavanger Cathedral.
With a rental car, you have the freedom to immerse yourself in the rich history, picturesque nature, and beauty of the Stavanger coastline. Book your rental car today and embark on an unforgettable journey through this enchanting coastal gem. Drive with confidence and create lasting memories as you discover the hidden treasures of Stavanger, Norway's charming city by the sea.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Drivers need to have held a valid driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket. If there is snow or ice covering the roads, winter tires, studded tires or snow chains are compulsory (motorhomes & RV’s over 3,500kg must use snow chains). You can be fined for traveling on icy/snowy roads using summer tires only. You can expect your vehicle to be checked at or near the border in winter – if you are not carrying or using the right tires you must purchase them or return to the border.
- Children in the car: Seat belts are compulsory for both drivers and passengers. Children under 36 kilograms or 135 centimeters in height must use a car seat.
- Driving side of the road: In Norway, you drive on the right side of the road.
- Lights: Headlights set to dipped beam must be used whatever time of day you’re driving and regardless of whether it’s sunny or not. This is to make sure you’re always visible to other drivers so you stay safe.
- General speed limits: Norway has four general speed limits; Residential areas – 30km/h, Other built-up areas – 50km/h, Rural roads – 80km/h, Motorways – 90km/h
Car Hire in Stavanger
Most popular car hire at Stavanger
The most selected hire car in Stavanger is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also popular options. The most popular car types in Stavanger are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Stavanger
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Stavanger. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Norway.
- Stavanger-Bergen (208km with approximately 4,5 hours of drive)
- Stavanger-Oslo (442km with approximately 7,5 hours of drive)
- Stavanger-Tromsoe (2180km with approximately 29 hours of drive)
- Stavanger-Molde (771km with approximately 13,5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Stavanger
Stavanger, Norway's coastal jewel, isn't only a charming city but also the perfect base from which to explore the surrounding natural wonders. With a rental car, you can take exciting day trips from Stavanger and immerse yourself in Norway's breathtaking landscapes. We present the best destinations for an unforgettable day trip adventure:
1. Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock): No trip to Stavanger is complete without a day trip to Preikestolen, the legendary Pulpit Rock. An exhilarating hike through fascinating landscapes will take you to this breathtaking rock formation, from where you have a stunning view of the Lysefjord below. Stand on the edge and feel like you're on top of the world!
2. Kjerag: For the more adventurous among you, Kjerag beckons with a daring hike to the famous Kjerag Boulder. This exciting experience rewards you with dramatic fjord views and the opportunity to take epic photos that will amaze your friends.
3. Lysefjord Cruise: Board a scenic cruise through the majestic Lysefjord, where towering cliffs and cascading waterfalls create an enchanting atmosphere. The beauty of the fjord unfolds before your eyes, offering you an unforgettable day on the water.
4. The beaches of Jæren: Relax on the stunning sandy beaches and gentle dunes of Jæren. Enjoy a relaxing day in the sunlight, stroll along the coast, and enjoy the fresh sea breeze.
5. Utstein Abbey: History buffs will love a visit to Utstein Abbey, Norway's best-preserved medieval monastery. The abbey's tranquil surroundings and rich heritage make it a cultural gem worth exploring.
6. Månafossen Waterfall: Pursue the mesmerizing Månafossen waterfall, one of Norway's highest waterfalls. A refreshing hike will take you to this natural wonder, where you can admire the raw power of the rushing water.
7. Stavanger Islands: Enjoy a ferry ride to the nearby Stavanger Islands, including the charming Hidle and Finnøy. On these peaceful islands, you can unwind, enjoy coastal views, and spend some quiet time surrounded by nature.
With the comfort of a rental car, you have the freedom to create your own adventure and explore the wonders around Stavanger. Discover the treasures of Norway's stunning landscapes with our premium rental cars and embark on a journey you'll remember forever.
What to see in Stavanger
Situated on the stunning southwest coast of Norway, Stavanger beckons with a captivating blend of history, nature, and cultural richness. This vibrant city offers a wealth of sights and activities that make it a must-see for travelers seeking an authentic Norway experience. With a rental car, you can explore the wonders of Stavanger in comfort and ease. Here's a little insight into what this charming city has to offer:
1. Gamle Stavanger (Old Stavanger): Immerse yourself in Stavanger's enchanting past with a visit to Gamle Stavanger. Stroll through the cobbled streets lined with beautifully preserved 18th-century wooden houses, each with a story to tell. The historic quarter offers a glimpse into Norway's seafaring tradition.
2. Stavanger Cathedral: Marvel at the impressive beauty of Stavanger Cathedral, Norway's oldest cathedral still in use. Its impressive architecture and tranquil atmosphere make it a quiet sanctuary in the middle of the bustling city.
3. Norwegian Petroleum Museum: At the Norwegian Petroleum Museum you can immerse yourself in the fascinating world of Norway's offshore oil and gas industry. Interactive exhibits and engaging displays offer an educational and entertaining experience for all ages.
4. Øvre Holmegate: Øvre Holmegate, also known as "Colour Street'," is a lively street with many colorful buildings, trendy boutiques, and inviting cafés. Stroll down this lively street, soak up the atmosphere, and enjoy some retail therapy.
5. Stavanger Maritime Museum: Explore Stavanger's maritime heritage at the Stavanger Maritime Museum. Discover the city's deep connection with the sea through exhibits that show the history of fishing, shipping, and sailing.
6. Sola Beach: Relax at Sola Beach, one of Stavanger's most popular recreational spots. At this picturesque beach, you can bask in the sun, swim in the refreshing water and have a picnic by the sea.
7. Stavanger Botanical Garden: Experience the tranquillity of Stavanger Botanical Garden, a lush oasis where you can immerse yourself in the beauty of nature. Take a leisurely stroll through the lush flora, tranquil ponds, and themed gardens.
With a rental car, you can easily explore the attractions of Stavanger, create your own itinerary and fully enjoy the charm of this coastal gem. Leave a lasting impression of Stavanger as you explore its history, culture, and natural beauty. Start your Norwegian adventure with us and enjoy the kaleidoscope of charms Stavanger has to offer.
Drive your rental car beyond Stavanger
With its breathtaking landscapes and pristine wilderness, Norway is a paradise for adventurers who want to immerse themselves in the wonders of nature. When planning your Norway adventure, consider the convenience and flexibility of a rental car to explore this Nordic gem. With a reliable vehicle, you can traverse the scenic routes of Norway, discovering hidden treasures and creating unforgettable memories along the way.
Fjordland: The majestic fjords of Norway are a symbol of the country's natural beauty. Drive along winding roads that hug the deep blue waters and experience the grandeur of these steep-sided valleys carved by glaciers. Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, offer some of the most breathtaking views in the world.
National Parks: Norway has a multitude of national parks, each with its own charm. Explore Jotunheimen National Park, home to Norway's highest peaks and impressive glaciers. Drive through Hardangervidda National Park, known for its rugged plateaus and waterfalls. Be sure to venture into Dovrefjell-Sunndalsfjella National Park, where you may encounter wild musk oxen roaming free.
The Atlantic Road: take a scenic drive along the Atlantic Road, an engineering marvel that winds through small islands and skerries, connecting the mainland to the island of Averøy. Marvel at the breathtaking coastal scenery and watch the waves crash against the rugged coastline.
Lofoten Islands: A visit to Norway is incomplete without exploring the enchanting Lofoten Islands. Drive the E10, which spans several of these islands, and experience breathtaking seascapes, fishing villages, and towering mountains. The midnight sun and northern lights add to the allure of this Arctic paradise.
Arctic Circle: Cross the Arctic Circle and experience the unique phenomenon of the midnight sun during the summer months. Drive to Nordkapp, the northernmost point in Europe, and feel like you are on the edge of the world.
Waterfalls and Glaciers: Norway is littered with magnificent waterfalls and glaciers that will amaze you. Experience the majestic Seven Sisters waterfall in Geiranger, the thundering Vøringsfossen in Eidfjord, and the mighty Jostedalsbreen glacier, the largest glacier in mainland Europe.
Norway's panoramic roads: Norway's designated scenic roads offer some of the most scenic drives in the world. Take the Trollstigen route to experience hairpin turns and panoramic views, or drive Gamle Strynefjellsvegen for a trip back in time.
When traveling through Norway by car, you have the freedom to enjoy the country's natural beauty and stop whenever and wherever you want. Whether you want to see the Northern Lights, hike in the national parks, or marvel at the fjords...
Book your rental car today and embark on an epic journey through the scenic wonders of Norway. Experience the thrill of exploring one of the world's most fascinating destinations, all from the comfort of your own car. Start your unforgettable road trip through Norway today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Stavanger
In the heart of charming Norwegian Stavanger lies a culinary landscape that tantalizes the taste buds and delights food lovers. When driving around this vibrant city in a rental car, be sure to check out the delicious offerings. Stavanger has a rich food culture, offering fresh seafood, traditional Norwegian dishes, and international flavors. From charming waterfront restaurants serving the catch of the day to cozy cafés serving freshly baked pastries, Stavanger's culinary scene is a feast for the senses. Embark on a gastronomic journey and let the flavors of Stavanger leave an unforgettable impression on your palate.
Best restaurant in Stavanger
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick-up. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Stavanger
Best of Norway