Car Hire in Trondheim
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Trondheim
In the heart of Norway lies the charming city of Trondheim, a destination that seamlessly combines a rich history and modern charm. When you explore Trondheim with a rental car, you can immerse yourself in the city's unique character and vibrant atmosphere.
A tapestry of history:
Trondheim's history dates back to Viking times, which is reflected in the city's architecture and cultural heritage. Be sure to visit Nidaros Cathedral, a magnificent Gothic building and Norway's national shrine. As the northernmost mediaeval cathedral in the world, it's a testament to the city's historical significance.
Trondheim has an artistic flair that is evident in its many galleries, museums and cultural centres. Visit Bakklandet, a picturesque district with colourful wooden houses, cosy cafés and boutiques. The lively atmosphere invites you to stroll through the cobbled streets and enjoy the artistic charm.
Urban joie de vivre:
As one of Norway's largest cities, Trondheim exudes urban energy and modern charisma. The city centre is full of life and offers an abundance of restaurants, trendy bars and lively entertainment. Enjoy a leisurely meal in one of the many restaurants and indulge in Norwegian delicacies and international dishes.
Trondheim is home to the renowned Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), which contributes to the city's youthful and innovative spirit. The presence of students from all over the world gives Trondheim a dynamic and progressive vibe.
Reconnect with nature:
Nestled in a breathtaking landscape, Trondheim offers numerous opportunities to experience nature. Take a short drive to Bymarka, a vast forest perfect for hiking, skiing or just a quiet retreat surrounded by nature's beauty.
The pride of the fjord:
Trondheim's location on the Trondheimsfjord makes the city even more attractive. Take a relaxing fjord cruise or ferry ride to admire the surrounding landscape and enjoy the tranquillity on the water.
Festivals and celebrations:
Trondheim has a variety of festivals and events throughout the year celebrating music, culture and traditions. Check the city's events calendar to see if your visit coincides with any exciting festivities.
A warm welcome awaits you:
Trondheim's charm lies in its seamless blend of history, modernity and natural beauty. Explore the hidden gems in your vehicle and experience the warm hospitality of this unique city. Be captured by the essence of Trondheim as you discover its treasures and create unforgettable memories in this Nordic jewel.
Basic info and car hire in Trondheim
- Location: Norway
- Population: 212,660
- Official language: Norwegian
- Currency: Norwegian krone ( NOK )
- Weather: In Trondheim, the summers are cool and partly cloudy; the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy; and it is wet year round.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Trondheim are generally good, but it's always a good idea to be prepared for the unexpected. Be sure to check the weather forecast before you leave and pack a winter coat if you are travelling in the winter.
- Car hire in Trondheim: Trondheim car hire is a great way to see all of these attractions. Car hire in Trondheim is a great way to see the city. There are many different options for car hire, so be sure to do your research before you book. Car hire can be a great way to see all of the sights that Trondheim has to offer.
Driving in Trondheim
When you set out to discover the enchanting city of Trondheim, a rental car offers you a whole new dimension of comfort and excitement. Trondheim's charming blend of history, culture, and modernity invites you to discover the city's treasures.
Smooth navigation: Trondheim has well-developed roads and efficient traffic management, making driving in the city a breeze. With a rental car, you can effortlessly traverse the city's scenic streets and reach your desired destinations easily and comfortably.
Explore the city at your own pace: when you have the freedom to drive yourself, you can design your own itinerary, visit lesser-known places and linger in places that interest you. Enjoy the flexibility of moving at your own pace, taking detours, and having spontaneous adventures.
Scenic drives: Trondheim's surroundings are a feast for the eyes. Venture out of the city and drive along the Trondheimsfjord for majestic water and mountain views. Alternatively, take a short drive to Bymarka, a picturesque forest area perfect for a quiet break.
Parking made easy: Finding a parking space in Trondheim is easy with your rental car. The city offers a variety of parking options, including street parking and multi-story car parks, so you can easily reach the city's attractions and sights.
The gateway to further exploration: Trondheim is a great base from which to explore the wonders of Central Norway. With your rental car, you can take exciting day trips to nearby fjords, charming coastal towns, and historic sites, all within easy reach.
Considerate driving: Although driving in Trondheim is generally smooth, it's important to follow the traffic rules and be considerate of pedestrians and cyclists. Get involved with the local driving culture and enjoy a pleasant experience on the road.
Safety first: Our well-maintained and reliable vehicles are equipped with the latest safety features so you can drive through the charming streets of Trondheim with peace of mind.
Unforgettable adventures await you: With your rental car, you can realize the full potential of Trondheim and its surroundings. Discover the hidden gems of the city, enjoy the culinary delights, and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the city with the freedom that only a rental car can give you.
Get ready for a driving experience in Trondheim and create unforgettable memories in this Nordic wonderland.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Drivers need to have held a valid driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle in case of a breakdown. It's also recommended to have: Spare bulbs for your car's external lights, a fire extinguisher, a first-aid kit, and a reflective jacket. If there is snow or ice covering the roads, winter tires, studded tires or snow chains are compulsory (motorhomes & RV’s over 3,500kg must use snow chains). You can be fined for traveling on icy/snowy roads using summer tires only. You can expect your vehicle to be checked at or near the border in winter – if you are not carrying or using the right tires you must purchase them or return to the border.
- Children in the car: Seat belts are compulsory for both drivers and passengers. Children under 36 kilograms or 135 centimeters in height must use a car seat.
- Driving side of the road: In Norway, you drive on the right side of the road.
- Lights: Headlights set to dipped beam must be used whatever time of day you’re driving and regardless of whether it’s sunny or not. This is to make sure you’re always visible to other drivers so you stay safe.
- General speed limits: Norway has four general speed limits; Residential areas – 30km/h, Other built-up areas – 50km/h, Rural roads – 80km/h, Motorways – 90km/h
Car Hire in Trondheim
Most popular car hire at Trondheim
The most selected hire car in Trondheim is Ford Fiesta, with Renault Clio and Seat Ibiza also popular options. The most popular car types in Trondheim are mini, economy, and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Trondheim
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Trondheim. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Norway.
- Trondheim-Bergen (628km with approximately 9,5 hours of drive)
- Trondheim-Oslo (492km with approximately 6,5 hours of drive)
- TrondheimTromsoe (1404km with approximately 18 hours of drive)
- Trondheim-Molde (219km with approximately 4 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Trondheim
When you explore the enchanting city of Trondheim, it's hard to resist the allure of its neighboring treasures. Trondheim's strategic location in central Norway makes it a great base for day trips to stunning destinations. With a rental car, you can take unforgettable day trips to these must-see places:
1. Nidaros Cathedral and Munkholmen Island: Start your day trip with a visit to the famous Nidaros Cathedral, an impressive Gothic masterpiece that has historical and religious significance. Afterward, you can take the ferry to Munkholmen Island, which used to be a monastery and is now a popular resort with panoramic views of Trondheim.
2. Ringve Museum and Lade: Music lovers will love the Ringve Museum, which showcases Norway's musical heritage with an impressive collection of instruments and exhibits. Extend your trip to Lade, where you can explore the picturesque Ladestien hiking trail along the coast.
3. Røros: A World Heritage Site UNESCO, Røros is a charming town known for its well-preserved wooden houses and mining history. Soak up the unique atmosphere, visit the local craft shops, and enjoy traditional Norwegian cuisine.
4. Trondheim Fjord: Embark on a scenic drive along Trondheim Fjord, where the majestic fjord and tranquil landscapes will leave you in awe. Stop in picturesque coastal villages such as Steinvikholm Castle and Stadsbygd.
5. Oppdal and Dovrefjell: For nature lovers, a day trip to Oppdal and Dovrefjell National Park is a must. Experience the wild beauty of the park, home to musk oxen, and the enchanting landscape, perfect for hiking and outdoor adventures.
6. Stiklestad and Verdal: Immerse yourself in Norway's history with a trip to Stiklestad, where the famous Battle of Stiklestad took place. Explore the visitor center and experience Viking-themed activities. Near Verdal there is the historic Stiklestad Church and a green landscape.
7. Austråttborgen Castle and Kjeungskjær Lighthouse: Visit Austråttborgen Castle, a Renaissance manor house, and explore the beautiful gardens. Continue to Kjeungskjær Lighthouse, a striking coastal landmark accessible by boat and offering breathtaking views of the sea.
Enjoy the freedom to explore these fantastic destinations at your own pace and create unforgettable memories along the way. Whether you're looking for history, nature, or cultural experiences, Trondheim's surroundings are waiting to be discovered.
What to see in Trondheim
Nestled in the picturesque landscape of central Norway, Trondheim is a city that captivates its visitors with an enchanting blend of historic charm and modern vibrancy. When you explore Trondheim with a rental car, a world of captivating sights and experiences awaits you.
1. Nidaros Cathedral: Start your journey with the impressive Nidaros Cathedral, a majestic Gothic masterpiece that serves as Norway's national shrine. The intricate architecture and rich history make the cathedral a must-see attraction.
2. Gamle Bybro (Old Town Bridge): Walk across Gamle Bybro, also known as the Old Town Bridge, with its charming red wooden construction. This landmark connects the vibrant city center with the charming Bakklandet district.
3. Bakklandet: Walk through the charming Bakklandet district, which is characterized by its colorful wooden houses, cozy cafés, and boutiques. Don't miss the opportunity to explore the picturesque alleys and cobblestone streets.
4. Rockheim: For music enthusiasts, a visit to Rockheim is a must. Norway's national museum of popular music features interactive exhibitions and displays documenting the country's musical heritage.
5. Kristiansten Fortress: Take a short drive to Kristiansten Fortress, perched on a hill overlooking the city. The panoramic view of Trondheim and the fjord from this historic landmark is simply breathtaking.
6. Solsiden: Solsiden means "sunny side" and is a lively waterfront neighborhood with many restaurants, cafés, and shops. Enjoy a leisurely meal while taking in the beautiful view of the Trondheim Fjord.
7. Stiftsgården: Visit Stiftsgården, one of the largest wooden palaces in Europe, which is still used as a royal residence. Admire the impressive architecture and explore the surrounding gardens.
8. Marinen: Take a relaxing stroll along the Marinen, the city's waterfront promenade, and enjoy the picturesque view of boats gliding on the Trondheimsfjord.
9. Tyholttårnet (Tyholt Tower): For a panoramic view of Trondheim, visit Tyholttårnet, an iconic tower from which you can get a bird's eye view of the city.
10. Coastal walks: Take a short ferry ride to the island of Munkholmen and take a scenic walk around the island to enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
Trondheim's mix of historical sights, cultural treasures, and natural wonders makes it a delightful destination. With reliable vehicles, your journey in Trondheim will be comfortable and convenient so you don't miss any of the city's fascinating attractions. So, buckle up and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in this Nordic gem - Trondheim!
Drive your rental car beyond Trondheim
With its breathtaking landscapes and pristine wilderness, Norway is a paradise for adventurers who want to immerse themselves in the wonders of nature. When planning your Norway adventure, consider the convenience and flexibility of a rental car to explore this Nordic gem. With a reliable vehicle, you can traverse the scenic routes of Norway, discovering hidden treasures and creating unforgettable memories along the way.
Fjordland: The majestic fjords of Norway are a symbol of the country's natural beauty. Drive along winding roads that hug the deep blue waters and experience the grandeur of these steep-sided valleys carved by glaciers. Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, offer some of the most breathtaking views in the world.
National Parks: Norway has a multitude of national parks, each with its own charm. Explore Jotunheimen National Park, home to Norway's highest peaks and impressive glaciers. Drive through Hardangervidda National Park, known for its rugged plateaus and waterfalls. Be sure to venture into Dovrefjell-Sunndalsfjella National Park, where you may encounter wild musk oxen roaming free.
The Atlantic Road: take a scenic drive along the Atlantic Road, an engineering marvel that winds through small islands and skerries, connecting the mainland to the island of Averøy. Marvel at the breathtaking coastal scenery and watch the waves crash against the rugged coastline.
Lofoten Islands: A visit to Norway is incomplete without exploring the enchanting Lofoten Islands. Drive the E10, which spans several of these islands, and experience breathtaking seascapes, fishing villages, and towering mountains. The midnight sun and northern lights add to the allure of this Arctic paradise.
Arctic Circle: Cross the Arctic Circle and experience the unique phenomenon of the midnight sun during the summer months. Drive to Nordkapp, the northernmost point in Europe, and feel like you are on the edge of the world.
Waterfalls and Glaciers: Norway is littered with magnificent waterfalls and glaciers that will amaze you. Experience the majestic Seven Sisters waterfall in Geiranger, the thundering Vøringsfossen in Eidfjord, and the mighty Jostedalsbreen glacier, the largest glacier in mainland Europe.
Norway's panoramic roads: Norway's designated scenic roads offer some of the most scenic drives in the world. Take the Trollstigen route to experience hairpin turns and panoramic views, or drive Gamle Strynefjellsvegen for a trip back in time.
When traveling through Norway by car, you have the freedom to enjoy the country's natural beauty and stop whenever and wherever you want. Whether you want to see the Northern Lights, hike in the national parks, or marvel at the fjords...
Book your rental car today and embark on an epic journey through the scenic wonders of Norway. Experience the thrill of exploring one of the world's most fascinating destinations, all from the comfort of your own car. Start your unforgettable road trip through Norway today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Trondheim
Trondheim's culinary scene is a delicious mix of traditional Norwegian flavors and international influences. With a rental car, you can embark on a gastronomic adventure through the charming streets of the city. Enjoy famous fish dishes, such as fresh salmon and Arctic char, at waterfront restaurants like Solsiden. Sample authentic local delicacies such as lefse, a soft potato flatbread, and krumkake, a delicious waffle-like pastry. Don't forget to visit the lively food markets to sample artisan cheeses, charcuterie, and sweet delicacies. Trondheim's culinary delights are a journey of flavors that will enchant your taste buds.
Best restaurant in Trondheim
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick-up. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Trondheim
Best of Norway