Car Hire in Saint Denis
Find your car rental
About Saint Denis
When it comes to experiencing the authentic essence of Reunion Island, Saint-Denis turns out to be a hidden gem beyond the typical tourist hotspots. Located in the northern part of the island, Saint-Denis is the vibrant capital that offers a unique blend of cultural richness and local life.
Local markets and flavors:
One of the best ways to experience life in Saint-Denis is to visit the lively local markets. Stroll through the Marché de Saint-Denis, where the air is filled with the scent of exotic spices and tropical fruits. Talk to the local vendors, sample Creole delicacies, and discover the vibrant variety of flavors that make up the island's culinary scene.
Art and heritage:
Saint-Denis is a city that proudly showcases its historical and cultural heritage. Take a stroll through the charming streets adorned with colonial architecture, capturing the essence of the island's past. The Musée Léon Dierx, an art museum housed in a former bishop's palace, offers a captivating journey through the artistic development of La Réunion.
Local cafés and meeting places:
Enjoy the local lifestyle in the town's cozy cafés and eateries. Enjoy a cup of locally grown Bourbon Pointu coffee with the locals and chat in a relaxed atmosphere. These cafés offer the perfect setting to soak up the rhythm of the city and connect with the warm and welcoming locals.
Urban parks and recreational areas:
Escape the urban hustle and bustle and explore the green spaces in Saint-Denis. The Jardin de l'État, the city's oldest botanical garden, invites you to wander through lush landscapes and enjoy the peace away from the city center. Whether you're looking for a peaceful retreat or an opportunity for a leisurely picnic, these parks offer a refreshing contrast to the bustling streets.
Local events and festivals:
If you want to get to know the soul of Saint-Denis, time your visit around the local events and festivals. From traditional festivals to contemporary art exhibitions, the city comes alive with a variety of cultural events throughout the year. By taking part in the festivities, you can experience the vibrant spirit of this dynamic city.
In summary, Saint-Denis on Reunion Island invites travelers to go beyond the typical tourist experience and offers an authentic encounter with the lives, tastes, and culture of the locals. As you explore the streets, markets, and cultural sites of the city, you will discover the true heart of Reunion Island and make your visit an enriching and unforgettable experience.
Basic info and car hire in Saint Denis
- Location: Reunion Island
- Population: 153,001
- Official language: French
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Réunion Island has a hot sub-tropical climate with sea temperatures that rarely drop below 23°C. The dry season is May to October, with temperatures 20-25°C. November to March is more humid, with most rain and occasional cyclones in January and February.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Saint-Denis are in good condition.
- Car hire in Saint Denis: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Saint-Denis is at Saint Denis Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Saint-Denis!
Driving in Saint Denis
When it comes to exploring the vibrant city of Saint-Denis on Reunion Island, having the freedom of your vehicle can transform your experience. A car rental not only offers convenience but also opens up the hidden treasures of this charming capital.
Saint-Denis offers a unique blend of historic charm and modern vibrancy. With a rental car from Orbit Car Hire, you have the flexibility to explore the city at your own pace. Stroll through the picturesque streets, explore the local markets, and discover the cultural sights at your own pace.
Convenient access to the city:
Renting a car in Saint-Denis gives you easy access to the city's various attractions. From the historic waterfront Le Barachois to the vibrant markets, your rental car is the key to a smooth exploration. Conveniently park at your chosen locations and make the most of your time in this fascinating city.
The gateway to island adventures:
Beyond the city limits, Saint-Denis is the perfect starting point for extensive island explorations. Venture into the picturesque landscapes with your rental car and take the breathtaking coastal roads that Réunion is known for. Experience the freedom of discovering hidden beaches, lush forests, and volcanic wonders just a drive away.
With a car rental, you have the opportunity to create an itinerary tailored to your interests. Whether you are a culture lover, nature enthusiast, or history buff, Saint-Denis caters to all tastes. Plan your day according to your preferences and hop seamlessly from one attraction to the next while enjoying the comfort of your rental car.
In summary, driving a car in Saint-Denis is a dynamic and convenient way to immerse yourself in the unique charm of the city and discover the wonders of Reunion Island. With Orbit Car Hire, your trip becomes a personalized adventure that unlocks the full potential of your visit to this fascinating capital.
- Age limits: The minimum age at Reunion Island suppliers to hire a car is 19 years old and people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
- Additional requirements: Reflective vests: A reflective vest must be accessible to the driver without leaving the vehicle, Warning triangle: A warning triangle is required to be carried in the vehicle and used in the event of a breakdown or accident, Headlamp beam deflectors: If you are driving a right-hand drive vehicle, you may need to adjust your headlamp beams to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, Breathalyzer kit: While there was a law in place requiring drivers to carry a breathalyzer kit, the enforcement of this law has been subject to changes. It's a good idea to check whether it's still mandatory to carry a breathalyzer in your vehicle, First aid kit: Though not always mandatory, having a basic first aid kit in the car is recommended.
- Children in the car: Child Restraint Systems (CRS): Children under the age of 10 are generally required to use an approved child restraint system appropriate for their age, weight, and height. This may include infant carriers, child seats, or booster seats, Rearward-Facing Seats: Infants and young children are typically required to travel in rearward-facing car seats until they reach a certain age or weight. The specific requirements may vary, Seat Belt Requirements: Once a child has outgrown a child restraint system, they must use an adult seat belt. The age, height, and weight at which this transition occurs can vary, Front Seat Restriction: In general, it's recommended that children under a certain age or height are not allowed to travel in the front seat of a car equipped with a passenger airbag.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: It is generally mandatory to use dipped headlights during the day in low-visibility conditions such as rain, fog, or poor lighting.
- General speed limits: Urban Areas: The speed limit within urban areas is typically 50 kilometers per hour (km/h), Non-Urban Roads (Outside Built-up Areas): The speed limit on non-urban roads is usually 80 km/h or 90 km/h, depending on the type of road. Some major roads may have a speed limit of 110 km/h, Expressways (Dual Carriageways): On expressways, the speed limit is typically 110 km/h, Motorways: The speed limit on motorways is usually 130 km/h. However, in adverse weather conditions, the limit may be reduced to 110 km/h.
Car Hire in Saint Denis
Most popular car hire at Saint Denis
The most selected hire car in Saint Denis is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also a popular option. The most popular car types in Saint Denis are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Saint Denis
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Saint Denis. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Reunion Island.
- Saint-Denis -Saint-Paul (27km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
- Saint-Denis -Saint-Pierre (78km with approximately 1 hour of drive)
- Saint-Denis -Sainte-Marie (12km with approximately 20 minutes of drive)
- Saint Denis-Le Tampon (68m with approximately 1 hour of drive)
Popular day trips from Saint Denis
What to see in Saint Denis
Saint-Denis, the vibrant capital of Reunion Island, impresses with its rich cultural offerings and picturesque landscapes. With the freedom of a rental car from Orbit, exploring the city will be an unforgettable experience. Here you will find a guide to the best attractions and activities Saint-Denis has to offer:
1. Le Barachois:
Start your journey through Saint-Denis in Le Barachois, a historic waterfront neighborhood with plenty of charm. Stroll along the promenade, admire the traditional Creole houses and enjoy the panoramic view of the Indian Ocean. In the evening, the district comes to life and is the ideal place to experience breathtaking sunsets.
2. Musée Léon Dierx:
Art lovers should make a detour to the Musée Léon Dierx, which is housed in a former bishop's palace. This museum displays an impressive collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative art and provides an insight into the island's artistic heritage.
3. Jardin de l'État:
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and explore the Jardin de l'État, the oldest botanical garden in La Réunion. Stroll through the lush greenery, admire the exotic flora, and relax in this peaceful oasis. The garden is home to towering trees, vibrant flowers, and enchanting paths.
4. Saint-Denis market:
Get an authentic taste of local life at the Saint-Denis market. This colorful and fragrant market offers fresh produce, spices, and handmade crafts. Get into conversation with local vendors, sample Creole delicacies, and let yourself be carried away by the lively atmosphere.
5. Cathédrale de Saint-Denis:
The Cathédrale de Saint-Denis is a symbol of the city's rich history. Marvel at the breathtaking architecture of this Gothic-style cathedral, the final resting place of several French monarchs. The intricate details and tranquil ambiance make it a must-see attraction.
6. Explore the local cuisine:
Enjoy the diverse culinary scene of La Réunion and explore the local restaurants. From street stalls serving samosas to quaint Creole restaurants serving tasty curries, Saint-Denis is a culinary delight. Use your Orbit rental car to explore the city's culinary hotspots.
With Orbit Car Hire as your trusted travel companion, discovering the wonders of Saint-Denis becomes a seamless and personalized experience. Drive through the vibrant city streets, immerse yourself in the cultural richness, and create lasting memories in this enchanting capital of Reunion Island.
Drive your rental car beyond Saint Denis
Located in the heart of the Indian Ocean, Reunion Island is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Its diverse landscapes, from lush green valleys to towering volcanic peaks, make it an adventure seeker's paradise. For those who want to experience the beauty of the island at their own pace, a road trip is the perfect way to explore it. With Orbit Car Hire, your journey continues seamlessly, giving you the freedom to explore the natural wonders of La Réunion.
Scenic drives await you:
Reunion Island has a well-developed road network that winds its way through the breathtaking landscapes. One of the must-see routes is the winding roads of the Cirque de Cilaos, which offer panoramic views of rugged mountains and charming Creole villages. With your rental car from Orbit Car Hire, every turn becomes an opportunity to capture the essence of the island.
Convenience at your fingertips:
With Orbit Car Hire, convenience is paramount. Arrive at Roland Garros Airport, collect your car, and let the adventure begin. Whether you choose a compact car for exploring the city or a rugged SUV for off-road escapades.
Explore the wild south:
The wild south of Reunion Island is a nature lover's paradise. Drive your hire car along the scenic Route des Laves, where the contrast between the lush greenery and the lunar landscapes left behind by past volcanic eruptions is mesmerizing. Don't forget to stop at Piton de la Fournaise, one of the most active volcanoes in the world, for an impressive experience.
Cultural discoveries in Saint-Denis:
Start your trip in Saint-Denis, the capital of Reunion Island. Explore the city's rich cultural offerings and visit historical sites such as the Creole villas and the harbor district of Le Barachois. With a rental car, you can move effortlessly through the vibrant streets of the city and never miss a moment of its unique charm.
On the hunt for waterfalls in Salazie:
Swap the cityscape for lush valleys when you drive to Salazie, known for its captivating waterfalls and verdant landscapes. With your vehicle from Orbit Car Hire, you have the freedom to explore the enchanting Bridal Veil Falls or the heavenly Grand Anse Waterfall, both of which are a testament to the island's natural beauty.
Picnic with a view:
Pack a picnic and head to Maido, a breathtaking viewpoint that offers panoramic views of Mafate Cirque. With your rental car, you can easily reach this elevated viewpoint from where the lush amphitheater of Mafate unfolds below you. It is an ideal place to enjoy the local delicacies and immerse yourself in the tranquility of the island.
A road trip through La Réunion with Orbit Car Hire is an unparalleled journey of freedom and discovery. From coastal roads to mountainous terrain, every kilometer reveals a new facet of this tropical paradise. Book your rental car with Orbit Car Hire and let us take you to the heart of Reunion's extraordinary beauty. The island awaits you – start your adventure today!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Saint Denis
Embark on a culinary journey in the heart of Saint-Denis, Réunion, where vibrant flavors and diverse influences create a paradise for foodies. With a rental car from Orbit, you can explore the city's culinary hotspots and enjoy the unique gastronomic offerings.
Savor Creole delicacies at the local markets, where the air is filled with the aromas of exotic spices and freshly prepared street food. Discover quaint eateries serving samosas, Creole curries, and tropical fruits. With your rental car from Orbit, you can effortlessly switch between hidden gems and popular eateries to enjoy the authentic and diverse flavors of Saint-Denis' culinary scene. Let Orbit Car Hire be your gateway to a gastronomic adventure in the capital of La Réunion.
Best restaurant in Saint Denis
- Le Saint Michel
- Le Carré
- La Kaz à Coco
- Le Kervéguen
- Le Poivre et Sel
- Le Comptoir Kanak
- Au P'tit Marmite
- Le Bistrot des Artistes
- La Marmite du Chef
- Chez Tante Olga
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.