Car Hire in Craiova
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Craiova
Craiova is a city in Romania, more precisely in the southern part of the country. Craiova is the seventh largest city in Romania and the capital of Doly County. The first traces of settlement in this area date back far into the past. The city of Craiova was founded near the Jiu River. Thanks to its good strategic position, Craiova is an important city in many respects. It is the commercial center west of Bucharest and has always played an important role in the history of Romania. In the past, the city of Craiova experienced several tragic events, earthquakes, plague, and also a Turkish invasion. But after each setback, the inhabitants of Craiova managed to restore and renew the city and its spirit, and today you can feel this strong spirit when you explore the streets of Craiova. The city is a popular destination for tourists and travelers from all over the world. There are many great historical, religious, and cultural sights worth visiting here in Craiova. So if you are taking or planning a road trip through Romania, make sure you take the time to stop here in Craiova, you will not regret it. Buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Craiova
- Location: Southern Romania
- Population: 269,506
- Official language: Romanian
- Currency: Romanian leu
- Weather: Craiova has a humid continental climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Craiova are generally good.
- Car hire in Craiova: Car hire in Craiova is a great idea to explore all of what Romania has to offer. The most common pick-up location is at Craiova Airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices. So it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Driving in Craiova
If you want to properly explore the city of Craiova and its surroundings, a rental car here is undoubtedly the best solution for you. The roads here are generally in a good condition, and the signaling is clear and distinct, so all you have to do is follow the rules and follow traffic signs and you will have no problems driving in Craiova. You should be more careful when driving on local roads in rural areas. These roads are often not so well maintained and you should reduce your speed in case of potholes.
If you want to explore Craiova city center, it is best to park your car in a parking garage or parking lot (inquire about prices and payment methods) and explore the city center on foot. When you are done exploring the city center, you can get back in your car and drive around Craiova. Have fun, buckle up, and drive safely!
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Romania is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Romania is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: Reflective jackets (mandatory to carry in your vehicle and wear if walking on the road or hard shoulder in the event of emergency or breakdown), Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with more than two wheels) , Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), Fire extinguisher (compulsory in all vehicles), First aid kit (compulsory in all vehicles), Crash helmets are compulsory for riders of mopeds and motorcycles, as well as trikes and quads without closed bodywork. Mopeds and motorcycles on the road must have their lights on at all times.
- Children in the car: Children under the age of 12 years are not allowed to travel in the front passenger seat. A child up to 3 years old must use an appropriate child restraint for their size. A child under 12 years of age and shorter than 150 cm must use either an appropriate child restraint or a booster seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: All vehicles must drive with their headlights on, between 22:00 and 6:00
- General speed limits: Romania uses the metric system for all road signs, meaning speed limits and other road signs including distance are indicated using kilometers and meters. These are the general speed limits for private cars:. In built-up areas 50km/h (unless otherwise stated on local signs), Outside built-up areas 90km/h – 100km/h (unless otherwise stated on local signs), Motorways 130km/h.
Car Hire in Craiova
Most popular car hire at Craiova
The most selected hire car in Craiova is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Craiova are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Craiova
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Craiova. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Romania.
Craiova-Bucharest (237km with approximately 3 hours of drive)
Craiova-Brasov (267km with approximately 4 hours of drive)
Craiova-Deva (249km with approximately 3,5 hours of drive)
Craiova-Temishvar (339km with approximately 4,5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Craiova
Sibiu, Sighisoara, Transfăgărășan, Dracula's Castle, Bran, Brasov, Peleş Castle, Sinaia, Bucharest, Origo, Caru' cu Bere,...
What to see in Craiova
Craiova is a city with a long and rich past full of turbulent events that have shaped the city, its citizens, and the spirit of the city you can visit today. There is a lot to see and do here, so make sure you are well-informed and make a good plan before coming here. There are many cultural, historical, and religious attractions in Craiova and also there are many activities that you can do during your stay in this charming city. If you are taking a road trip through Romania and you are near this area, you should definitely not miss Craiova, because you will surely like this city.
Nicolae Romanescu Park is one of the places you should definitely visit. This beautiful park is located in the middle of the city and is a wonderful green oasis where you can relax under the trees or walk through the park in the shade of the trees, surrounded by beautiful flowers.
The Craiova Botanical Garden is also a must-see if you love nature and plants. This fascinating place offers a huge number of different plants, trees, etc.
Other places to visit and things to do in Craiova: Parcul Nicolae Romanescu, Craiova's Art Museum, Piața Mihai Viteazul, Casa Baniei, Minerva Hotel & Casino, Muzeul Stiintele Naturii Oltenia, Electroputere Mall,...
Drive your rental car beyond Craiova
Romania is a country in Europe, more precisely at the crossroads of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe. Romania has 5 neighboring countries, it borders Bulgaria to the south, Ukraine to the north, Hungary to the west, Serbia to the southwest, Moldova to the east and the Black Sea to the southeast. Romania is the twelfth most populous country in Europe and the sixth most populous member state of the European Union. The capital of Romania is Bucharest and there are several major cities in the country: Iași, Cluj-Napoca, Timișoara, Constanța, Craiova, Brașov, and Galați.
Romania is one of the hidden gems of Europe. Tourism here has developed strongly and quickly in the last decade and this country really has a lot to offer for every kind of tourist and traveler. There is really something for everyone who comes here. The offer is really huge. You can visit some great cities that are developing and modernized, but still full of remnants from the past and strong traditions and spirit. The cities here are very rich culturally and there are many cultural events throughout the year. There are many great museums, galleries, concerts, plays, operas, etc. that you should definitely visit while exploring Romania. But besides the bigger cities, Romania also has an excellent nature with all kinds of outdoor opportunities. You can do all kinds of sports activities here: climbing, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, swimming, kayaking, rafting, running, sailing, skiing, snowboarding, skating, etc. So, for those who are looking for an active holiday, this is undoubtedly the perfect destination, as you can find all kinds of activities here. Besides nature, you can also explore small towns and villages. You will meet very friendly locals here, who is very positive and always ready to help and guide you. When you come to some traditional small Romanian villages, you will get a glimpse of the traditional life of the people in Romania. The traditions are really interesting and unique and the best part is that they are very different from one part of the country to another. Romania is known as a country of many faces and as you drive through Romania, you will notice that life is very different in the north than in the south. There are differences from village to village and all this makes Romania an even richer country. The different parts of the country are well connected. The roads are generally in good condition, but there are some roads, especially in the rural areas, that are not so well maintained and can have some holes. This means that you should reduce your speed if necessary.
Places to see and things to do in Romania: Dracula's Castle in Transylvania, Romania's most beautiful castle: Peleș Castle, A Gothic masterpiece in Brasov: The Black Church, Brukenthal and Astra Museums in Sibiu, Bohemia, Hiking in the wild Carpathian Mountains, Romania's most famous natural landscape: the Danube Delta, discover how good Romanian wines are, observe brown bears in their natural habitat, admire the 500-year-old painted monasteries of Bukovina, take a slow and scenic steam train ride, travel back to the Middle Ages in the UNESCO citadel of Sighișoara, taste traditional Romanian food and tasty vegetables, ride an underground Ferris wheel in the Turda salt mine, visit the largest building in Europe: Palace of Parliament in Bucharest, drive on the famous Transfăgărășan highway, enjoy the nightlife in Bucharest Old Town, see the Romanian Sphinx in Bucegi Mountains, experience the authentic Romanian village life, visit Romania's, Haunted Forest...
Where to eat, drink, and party in Craiova
Craiova is a great place for people who want to know traditional Romanian cuisine. There are many restaurants in the city where you can enjoy traditional dishes from this region. Of course, there are also restaurants where you can enjoy modern Romanian cuisine, and also restaurants where you can order menus from all over the world. The offer is wide and it is up to you what kind of cuisine you prefer, but one thing is for sure, you will not go hungry in Craiova.
WHERE TO PARTY:
Muzette Night Club
Best restaurant in Craiova
The Manor Restaurant & Lounge
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Romania?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Romania?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Romania?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Romania with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include the mandatory insurance in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Romania?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Romania?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Romania?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can raise the closer the travel period gets.
What is the cheapest rental car in Romania?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Opel Corsa and Dacia Logan often come at the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Romania?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Hertz, Thrifty, Firefly, Autounion, Alamo, Enterprise, and Autounion rent a car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Romania?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Opel Corsa, Dacia Logan, Opel Astra and Renault Megane.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Romania?
Most car rentals in Romania offer unlimited mileage in their offers.