Car Hire in Otopeni
Find your car rental
Otopeni is a city in Romania, more precisely in the southeastern part of the country. Otopeni is part of Lifov County in the historical region of Muntenia. The city is located north of Bucharest and is best known for the Henri Coandă International Airport, which is located here in Otopeni. This is the busiest Romanian airport with a large number of passengers flying in and out of there every day. This makes Otopeni a very lively settlement with many crossings, but also with many tourists and travelers from all over the world who come here and spend a few days in Otopemi, for example, before exploring the country further.
Otopemi is popular mainly because it is close to Bucharest, but not as crowded as the capital of Romania. Of course, there is plenty to see and do here in Otopeni as well. This area has a very long and rich past because settlements were discovered here a long time ago. Today you can visit many historical, religious, and cultural sights that remind us of the events of the past. Besides, you can do many different activities in Otopeni, so the city is an ideal starting point for your trip through Romania. If you are planning a road trip through this country, Otopeni is really a great starting point for your road trip, but if you are already on the roads of Romania, you should put Otopeni on your list of places to stop and explore this interesting settlement, you will not regret it. Fasten your seatbelts and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Otopeni
- Location: Southeastern Romania
- Population: 13,861
- Official language: Romanian
- Currency: Romanian leu
- Weather: Otopeni has a humid continental climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Otopeni are generally good.
- Car hire in Otopeni: Car hire in Otopeni is a great idea to explore all of what Romania has to offer. The most common pick-up location is at Bucharest Otopeni Airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices. So it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire.
Driving in Otopeni
If you want to properly explore the city of Otopeni and its surroundings, a rental car is the best solution for you. Otopeni is located near Bucharest and is a great place to start your road trip through Romania. The roads here are in good condition and the signage is clear, so all you have to do is follow the traffic rules and obey the road signs to avoid any problems while driving in Otopeni. Especially in high season, there can be traffic jams on the roads, because the largest Romanian airport is located in Otopeni and many people enter and leave through this airport.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Romania is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Romania is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: Reflective jackets (mandatory to carry in your vehicle and wear if walking on the road or hard shoulder in the event of emergency or breakdown), Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with more than two wheels) , Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually), Fire extinguisher (compulsory in all vehicles), First aid kit (compulsory in all vehicles), Crash helmets are compulsory for riders of mopeds and motorcycles, as well as trikes and quads without closed bodywork. Mopeds and motorcycles on the road must have their lights on at all times.
- Children in the car: Children under the age of 12 years are not allowed to travel in the front passenger seat. A child up to 3 years old must use an appropriate child restraint for their size. A child under 12 years of age and shorter than 150 cm must use either an appropriate child restraint or a booster seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: All vehicles must drive with their headlights on, between 22:00 and 6:00
- General speed limits: Romania uses the metric system for all road signs, meaning speed limits and other road signs including distance are indicated using kilometers and meters. These are the general speed limits for private cars:. In built-up areas 50km/h (unless otherwise stated on local signs), Outside built-up areas 90km/h – 100km/h (unless otherwise stated on local signs), Motorways 130km/h.
Car Hire in Otopeni
Most popular car hire at Otopeni
The most selected hire car in Otopeni is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio, or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Otopeni are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Otopeni
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Otopeni. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Romania.
- Otopeni-Buzau (104km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
- Otopeni-Ploiesti (45km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Otopeni-Sibiu (286km with approximately 4 hours of drive)
Otopeni- Brasov (154km with approximately 2,5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Otopeni
Urziceni, Ploiesti, Baicoi, Voluntari, Băicoi, Vâlcănești, Târgoviște, Gura Ocniței,...
What to see in Otopeni
Otopeni is a small town near Bucharest, but the fact that it is a small town does not mean that there is not a lot to see and do here. This is truly a great place with a number of interesting things to see and do, so many tourists and travelers from all over the world come here to explore this charming city before continuing their journey through Romania.
Here are some of the best attractions that you should visit here in Otopeni: Therme Bucuresti, Tiriac Collection, Stejarii Country Club, Stejarii Country Club, Power Tenis Club, Power Tenis Club, Lotus Spa, Water Park Otopeni,
Drive your rental car beyond Otopeni
Romania is a country in Europe, more precisely at the crossroads of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe. Romania has 5 neighboring countries, it borders Bulgaria to the south, Ukraine to the north, Hungary to the west, Serbia to the southwest, Moldova to the east and the Black Sea to the southeast. Romania is the twelfth most populous country in Europe and the sixth most populous member state of the European Union. The capital of Romania is Bucharest and there are several major cities in the country: Iași, Cluj-Napoca, Timișoara, Constanța, Craiova, Brașov, and Galați.
Romania is one of the hidden gems of Europe. Tourism here has developed strongly and quickly in the last decade and this country really has a lot to offer for every kind of tourist and traveler. There is really something for everyone who comes here. The offer is really huge. You can visit some great cities that are developing and modernized, but still full of remnants from the past and strong traditions and spirit. The cities here are very rich culturally and there are many cultural events throughout the year. There are many great museums, galleries, concerts, plays, operas, etc. that you should definitely visit while exploring Romania. But besides the bigger cities, Romania also has an excellent nature with all kinds of outdoor opportunities. You can do all kinds of sports activities here: climbing, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, swimming, kayaking, rafting, running, sailing, skiing, snowboarding, skating, etc. So, for those who are looking for an active holiday, this is undoubtedly the perfect destination, as you can find all kinds of activities here. Besides nature, you can also explore small towns and villages. You will meet very friendly locals here, who is very positive and always ready to help and guide you. When you come to some traditional small Romanian villages, you will get a glimpse of the traditional life of the people in Romania. The traditions are really interesting and unique and the best part is that they are very different from one part of the country to another. Romania is known as a country of many faces and as you drive through Romania, you will notice that life is very different in the north than in the south. There are differences from village to village and all this makes Romania an even richer country. The different parts of the country are well connected. The roads are generally in good condition, but there are some roads, especially in the rural areas, that are not so well maintained and can have some holes. This means that you should reduce your speed if necessary.
Places to see and things to do in Romania: Dracula's Castle in Transylvania, Romania's most beautiful castle: Peleș Castle, A Gothic masterpiece in Brasov: The Black Church, Brukenthal and Astra Museums in Sibiu, Bohemia, Hiking in the wild Carpathian Mountains, Romania's most famous natural landscape: the Danube Delta, discover how good Romanian wines are, observe brown bears in their natural habitat, admire the 500-year-old painted monasteries of Bukovina, take a slow and scenic steam train ride, travel back to the Middle Ages in the UNESCO citadel of Sighișoara, taste traditional Romanian food and tasty vegetables, ride an underground Ferris wheel in the Turda salt mine, visit the largest building in Europe: Palace of Parliament in Bucharest, drive on the famous Transfăgărășan highway, enjoy the nightlife in Bucharest Old Town, see the Romanian Sphinx in Bucegi Mountains, experience the authentic Romanian village life, visit Romania's, Haunted Forest...
Where to eat, drink, and party in Otopeni
Otopeni is a place where you can find all kinds of restaurants and explore traditional Romanian cuisine or simply enjoy modern Romanian cuisine. Of course, you can also find restaurants where you can order menus from all over the world. The offer is wide, so you will surely not go hungry in Otopeni.
WHERE TO PARTY:
Abel's Wine Bar
Beluga Music & Cocktails
True Social Club
Best restaurant in Otopeni
Stadio Restaurants Herastrau
Tatu Bar & Grill
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Romania?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Romania?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Romania?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Romania with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include the mandatory insurance in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Romania?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Romania?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Romania?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can raise the closer the travel period gets.
What is the cheapest rental car in Romania?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Opel Corsa and Dacia Logan often come at the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Romania?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Hertz, Thrifty, Firefly, Autounion, Alamo, Enterprise, and Autounion rent a car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Romania?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Opel Corsa, Dacia Logan, Opel Astra and Renault Megane.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Romania?
Most car rentals in Romania offer unlimited mileage in their offers.