Car Hire in Belgrade
Find your car rental
Belgrade is the capital of Serbia. It is one of the largest cities in the Balkans and has over 1.6 million inhabitants. The city is located at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers and is known for its lively nightlife and culture. Belgrade is home to many museums, art galleries and architectural landmarks. The city also hosts a number of festivals throughout the year, including the Belgrade International Film Festival and the Belgrade Jazz Festival.
Basic info and car hire in Belgrade
- Location: at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers and at the crossroads of the Pannonian Plain and the Balkan Peninsula.
- Population: 1.2 million people
- Official language: Serbian
- Currency: Serbian Dinar
- Weather: The weather in Belgrade is quite pleasant in the spring and summer months. Temperatures are usually warm, but not too hot, and there is often a pleasant breeze blowing through the city. Winters, however, can be very cold and wet, with temperatures often dropping below freezing. Snow is not uncommon, so you should definitely be prepared if you travel to Belgrade at this time of year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Belgrade can be quite bumpy and uneven. Potholes are not uncommon, so it is important to drive carefully. In winter, snow and ice can make conditions even more treacherous. Fortunately, the city clears the main roads fairly quickly. But side streets and residential areas can be dangerous. So be careful when travelling in these areas after a snowfall.
- Car hire in Belgrade: If you are looking for a place to rent a car in Belgrade, there are many options. You can find the car hire agencies at the airport or in the city centre.
Driving in Belgrade
If you plan to drive to Belgrade, there are a few things you should know. The city is notorious for its traffic jams. Therefore, if possible, avoid driving during rush hour. It can also be difficult to find a parking space. Therefore, it is best to use public transportation or park in one of the city's many underground garages. There are a number of metered streets in Belgrade, so be sure to have some cash on hand. Finally, remember that Serbia is a right-hand drive country. If you take these tips to heart, driving in Belgrade will be fun and hassle-free.
Our Selected Partners
Trusted Suppliers in Belgrade
Orbit Car Hire connects you with the biggest brands and best local brands for your Belgrade car hire. We offer you to choose from a wide variety of different vehicle classes, so you can find a rental car that suits your needs and budget.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Belgrade
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Belgrade. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Serbia.
- Belgrade to Niš
- Belgrade to Novi Sad
- Belgrade to Šabac
- Belgrade to Leskovac
Popular day trips from Belgrade
If you are looking for a city with rich history and a diverse population, Belgrade is the place for you. This Serbian capital has something for everyone, from museums and art galleries to lively nightspots. And if you want to get out of town for the day, there are plenty of options for day trips from Belgrade. Here are just a few of our favourites:
- Smederevo Fortress: Just an hour's drive from Belgrade is Smederevo Fortress, one of the best-preserved medieval fortifications in Serbia. The fortress was built in the 15th century and is now restored to its former glory. Visitors can explore the fortress grounds, including the Donjon Tower, and learn more about the history of the fortress.
- Golubac Fortress: Another option for a day trip from Belgrade is Golubac Fortress, located about two hours from the city. The fortress was built in the 14th century and served as a military stronghold for the Serbian Empire. Today, visitors can explore the castle grounds and enjoy a breathtaking view of the Danube River.
- archaeological site Viminacium: For history buffs, Viminacium is a must-see day trip from Belgrade. This archaeological site was once a Roman military camp and now houses the ruins of temples, basilicas and other buildings. Visitors can also see artefacts found at the site, including pottery and coins.
- Fruska Gora National Park: Just a short drive from Belgrade, Fruska Gora National Park is a good option for a day trip. The park is home to numerous Orthodox monasteries, as well as hiking and biking trails. Visitors can also enjoy breathtaking views of the Danube River and the Serbian countryside.
- Oplenac Mausoleum: A truly unique day trip from Belgrade is a visit to the Oplenac Mausoleum. This mausoleum is located in the town of Topola and houses the tombs of Serbian kings. The mausoleum is decorated with beautiful mosaics and paintings and visitors can learn about the history of the Serbian royal family.
What to see in Belgrade
- Kalemegdan Park: Kalemegdan Park is a large park surrounding the Belgrade Fortress. The park has a number of sculptures and monuments, as well as a zoo and an amusement park. Kalemegdan Park is a great place to relax and enjoy the view of the city.
- Skadarlija: Skadarlija is a street in Belgrade's Old Town lined with restaurants and cafes. The street has a lively atmosphere and is a popular nightlife spot. Skadarlija is also home to many of the city's art galleries and museums.
- National Museum of Serbia: The National Museum of Serbia is the largest museum in the country. The museum houses a collection of Serbian art and artefacts, as well as a library with over two million books.
- St. Sava Temple: The Temple of St. Sava is a Serbian Orthodox church in Belgrade. The church is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world. If you are looking for a city with a rich history and a diverse population, Belgrade is the place for you.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Belgrade
If you are looking for a great place to eat and drink in Belgrade, these top addresses are for you!
For a casual meal or snack, head to one of the many bakeries or cafes scattered around the city. If you want something heartier, head to one of the traditional Serbian restaurants, which are usually good value for money. And if you want to spend a special evening, you should visit one of the fine restaurants in the city.
Whatever your budget or taste, you will find many great places to eat and drink in Belgrade!
Bakeries and cafes:
- Cukaricka Pekara: Cukaricka Pekara, one of the best bakeries in the city, is known for its delicious cakes and pies. There are several branches in Belgrade, so you are sure to find one near you.
- Cafe Deli: This popular cafe chain has several branches throughout Belgrade. They offer a range of snacks and light meals, as well as great coffee.
- Amandina: Another excellent bakery. Amandina is best known for its chocolate cake. It is worth trying it even if you are not a big fan of chocolate!
Traditional Serbian restaurants:
- Dveri: Dveri is a cosy restaurant in the heart of the city that specialises in traditional Serbian cuisine. The roast lamb is especially good.
- Kafana ona moja: Another great place for traditional Serbian cuisine. Kafana ona moja also has a nice outdoor terrace where you can have a wonderful meal during the summer months.
- Skadarlija: This is one of the most popular tourist spots in Belgrade, but it's still worth a visit if you want to try traditional dishes. You have a choice of several restaurants, all of which serve hearty meals.
- Apetit Restaurant: if you are looking for a very special culinary experience, head to Apetit Restaurant. The food is excellent and the ambience of a converted 19th-century mansion is simply beautiful.
- Splavovi: These floating restaurants are a Belgrade institution. They are great for a romantic dinner or an evening with friends, and you can enjoy the view of the city while you eat.
- Manufaktura: Manufaktura is one of the newer restaurants in Belgrade and has quickly become one of the most popular places in the city. The menu includes both Serbian and international dishes, all perfectly prepared.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Serbia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Serbia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and with some suppliers for people over 70 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Serbia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Serbia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurance in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Serbia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the main driver's name. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit Car Hire you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Serbia?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Serbia?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Serbia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Fiat Panda and VW Polo often come at the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Serbia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, Hertz, Firefly, Europcar, Keddy, and Autounion car rentals.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Serbia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Fiat Panda, Volkswagen Polo, Renault Clio, and Volkswagen Golf.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Serbia?
Most car rentals in Serbia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Belgrade 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Belgrade
Best of Serbia