Car Hire in Pico - Azores
Find your car hire
The Azores archipelago consists of nine islands, most of which are divided into two groups: Western and Eastern. The island of Pico is one of the seven islands in the first group, known as the Western Islands.
Pico is not only one of the oldest historical regions but has also been called "Ilha Bela" (Beautiful Island). Its Alto-Mar volcanic cone plays an important role not only from a geographical point of view but also from a climatic and ecological one. It represents the highest point in Portugal - at about 2400 metres - and is home to rare alpine flowers that grow in glaciated areas due to the special climatic conditions. However, one wonder that cannot be overlooked is its rich history, which spans more than 400 years since the first inhabitants settled here.
Basic info and car hire in Pico
- Location: Central Group of the Portuguese Azores
- Population: 13.645 (2019)
- Official language: Portuguese
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Weather: The best time to visit the Azores Islands is between April and October, but you should also plan a trip in summer when temperatures average 25°C. The climate on these islands has an unpredictable pattern that changes each season - so there's always something new happening! Find out when it is best time to visit the Azores.
- Holidays in Pico: Pico is an ideal place to spend a holiday, and thanks to the good and stable weather, you can enjoy Pico all year round.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Pico has no highways, but the main roads are in good condition. Other roads that pass through small towns and villages are not all paved and some of them can be narrow and even have animals on the roads.
- Car hire in Pico: Hiring a car at Pico Airport with Orbit Car Hire gives you plenty of freedom to travel around the island of Pico. With a wide range of vehicles to choose from, you can be sure to find the one that suits your needs and gives you the most benefit on your trip. Find your cheap car hire in Pico today!
Driving in Pico
Driving on Pico Island is relatively simple. The roads can be narrow, but they are known to be in good condition. Driving is on the right side of the road. There are no tolls, and parking can be found all over. Gas in Pico costs around 1.70€/ltr. Car Hire: It's very easy to hire a car in Pico and there are many different companies with offices both at the airport and downtown. If you'd like to book your rental car while you're still in your home country, we recommend looking at our offers where we work with the best local car hire companies as well as well-known brands.
And it's always good to book a car in advance so it does not sell out (which can happen, especially in high season).
- Age limits: The age limit is between 21 and 25, depending on the car hire agency. Many agencies will either charge a young driver fee if you are under this age or not allow you to rent the car at all.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not identifiable as Driving License, for example, if it is written in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driver's license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to take out insurance with the car rental company in case your policy does not cover you when driving in the Azores Islands).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels and a hands-free kit with hearing aids are required if you are talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All vehicle occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under twelve years of age or over 5 feet tall may ride in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Headlights must be on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 80 mph / 130 km/h on motorways, 49 mph / 80 km/h on main roads outside built-up areas and 31 mph/50 km/h inside built-up areas.
- Parking suggestions: You will need to pay for parking on Pico Island. The parking spots always have an automatic parking meter where you can pay for parking.
Car Hire in Pico
Most popular car hire at Pico
The most selected hire car in Pico is the Renault Twingo, with the Hyundai i10 and the Renault Clio also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Pico are the mini and economy car categories.
9 Seater car hire is available in Pico. You can find your 9 seater van from local companies like Ilha Verde. The van will give you great space for up to 9 passengers and all their luggage.
Convertible car hire in Pico is a great experience. Hiring a Renault Megane Convertible will make your trip around the wonderful Pico Island.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Pico
The Azores are nine different islands in one archipelago and it sounds very exciting to navigate between the islands and even start the journey on one island and end it on another.
You can travel between all the Azores Islands by ferry and the ferries can all take a car on board. However, not all car hire companies allow you to take your car to another island. If you want this option, you will need to get permission from the car hire company you are working with. Therefore, it is common and often the best option for travellers to simply hire a "new" car on each island.
What to see in Pico
For those who do not know the island of Pico: ultramarine waters and mountains rising above the horizon. The highest volcano in the Atlantic (2351 m) is also an excellent vantage point of land and sea. It is advisable to go up in the morning hours - the sunrises are unforgettable - and return before nightfall; fog sometimes covers the summit unexpectedly. A boat trip around the island of Pico takes you along a huge bay with cliffs were many sea birds live and some small beaches. A hike on this island is still very rewarding, even though it can be difficult to discover all its secrets.
The Sao Joao Forest Park
This forest park is part of an extensive landscape that allows the visitor to explore the coexistence of the different typologies on this island, namely agricultural fields and forests. In this way, the visitor will notice a significant change in the landscape as they move from one area to another, creating beautiful landscapes at every turn. These features make the island an interesting place for those who wish to contemplate the power of nature over this volcanic island. The most common plants that grow here are trees such as blueberries and eucalyptus, as well as lilies and orchids. It is important to highlight the rich landscape and visual diversity that this park and its surroundings offer.
This forest park is also considered one of the last large natural parks in the Azores, where several endangered species are still protected from human interference, such as red deer (Cervus elaphus), roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) and wild boar (Sus scrofa). The latter two animals were introduced to the island of Pico in the 18th century.
Miradouro da Terr' Alta
Let us start with the Miradouro da Terr' Alta, located in Furnas. It's not just any Miradouro, but the highest point on the island of Pico, a thousand metres above sea level. From here you can experience everything that makes Pico unique:
1) You can admire the peaks and the clouds that move slowly over time;
2) You can feel the power of the waves of the Atlantic;
3) Hear the birds singing;
4) Smell the flowers growing;
5) Taste fresh cheese and bread baked with natural yeast (some still use wood ovens);
6) And finally, enjoy a view like no other place in the world, including the island of São Jorge rising out of the sea.
You can find more great things about Pico and the Azores in our ultimate guide to the Azores.
Explore Azores Islands
Drive your rental car beyond Pico
Driving around Pico Island is simply a must-do when visiting the Island. Going from Madalena and driving all around the Island while stopping near Mt. Pico and Caldeira is relaxing and a wonderful experience. If you decide to hire a car and explore the Island, make sure to also visit Miradouro da Terr' Alta, The Sao Joao Forest Park, Poça das Mujas the natural pool and stay at Lajes do Pico for a while and try some of their local dishes there.
Enjoy the culture in Pico
Where to eat, drink, and party in Pico
On the island of Pico, you will find a wide range of restaurants where you can eat traditional Azorean dishes. In Lajes do Pico there is a restaurant called "Churrasqueira O Rei" where you will find excellent food and wine. The restaurant is opposite the church. If you go up the road in front of the church to the right, then continue straight on and after about 200 m you will see a road on the left that goes down a small hill. If you go down this hill after 50 m on the right side opposite an abandoned house, you will find this nice restaurant. The owner is very friendly and proud of his culture. He serves grilled fish, beef, chicken and other traditional dishes of the islands. The portions are reasonable and the prices are very reasonable for a tourist who does not have to worry about the local currency as everything is in euros. Besides the "Churrasqueira O Rei", there are a few cafés near the waterfront that serve good food as well as fresh fish specialities. If you go straight up from this restaurant and turn right at the first street after 100 metres, you will find another nice place called "Café do Porto" on the left. Here you can have a delicious grilled fish or fillet of beef with rice. There is also a daily menu where you can choose from 4 options at a reasonable price.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to book a car online for the Azores?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. In many European Union countries, a National ID is sufficient. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car there?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply for renters between 18-20 years old. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car rental insurance in the Azores?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Azores islands with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car and book online?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit Car Hire you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license when renting a car in the Islands?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car reservation in Azores Islands?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can raise the closer to the travel period gets. You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo, VW Polo and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Azores Islands?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Ilhaverde, Micauto, ANC Rent a Car, Enterprise rent a car, Ace Rent a Car and Europcar.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Azores Islands?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are VW Polo, Fiat Panda, Toyota Aygo, Renault Clio and Toyota Yaris.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in Azores Islands?
Most car rentals in Azores Islands offer unlimited mileage in their offers
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Are there any hidden fees in the Azores Island car hire?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and in our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental in order to avoid any unexpected surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
Do you need a car in the Azores?
Public transportation is limited in the Azores, the only option for public transportation is in Ponta Delgada. It is highly recommended to hire a car for your trip to the Azores so you can explore all of what the nine Islands have to offer.
Car Hire Locations in Pico 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Pico
Best of Azores Islands