Car Hire in Mainz
Find your car rental
Mainz is a city in Germany, more precisely in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. Mainz is also the largest city in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate and its capital. Together with the surrounding cities, towns and villages, it forms the Frankfurt Rhine-Main metropolitan region. The city was founded in the 1st century BC by the Roman Empire on the left bank of the Rhine. In the beginning, it was actually just a fortress that provided additional protection to the surrounding towns, but slowly Mainz grew in many ways and became an important city in the Holy Roman Empire in the 8th century AD. Later Mainz experienced several ups and downs and the last setback was the heavy bombing during World War II. The city was largely destroyed during this bombing, but after the end of the war, Mainz was completely renovated and restored step by step.
Today Mainz is a very interesting and charming city that attracts tourists from all over Germany and also from other parts of the world. There are a lot of interesting things to see and do here, and if you are taking a road trip through Germany or at least through this area, you should definitely put Mainz on the list of cities to stop and explore. You will not regret it, because there are many historical, cultural and religious sites worth visiting here, but you can also admire the beautiful nature surrounding the city. If we add great gastronomy, friendly people and many festivals, Mainz is really a perfect place for a short holiday.
The city is known as an important transport centre, which means that the transport infrastructure is very well developed. The city is well connected with other parts of Germany and Europe, so it is really easy to get here and also plan your further holiday or road trip after you have explored Mainz. So it's up to you what kind of holiday you prefer and what activities you are looking for, but one thing is for sure, Mainz will offer you many different things to choose from. Buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Mainz
- Location: Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
- Population: 217,123
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: Mainz experiences an oceanic climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Mainz are in good condition.
- Car hire in Mainz: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Mainz is at the Mainz Downtown. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Mainz!
Driving in Mainz
A rental car in Mainz is the best option if you want to explore not only Mainz but also the surrounding areas of the city or the state of Rhineland-Palatinate. This city, and in fact the entire region, is known as a major transportation hub. This means that the transport infrastructure is well developed and maintained, so driving your car should be a pleasure. As you leave Mainz and drive through the countryside, you'll be treated to some great views.
To avoid problems on German roads, you should follow the traffic rules and pay attention to the road signs. In general, traffic signs here in Germany are clear, visible and frequent, so it's quite easy to find your way around.
Since Mainz, and in fact the whole region, has a strong industry, the so-called environmental zones were introduced to maintain a healthy environment for the people who live here. An environmental zone in Germany is a zone where motorised vehicles are only allowed to enter with an environmental badge. In German, these zones are called Umweltzone, which translates as an environmental zone. As of 2021, there are 58 environmental zones in Germany, covering more than 70 cities. The obligation to possess the environmental badge applies to both German and foreign cars (M1), motor homes (M1), heavy caravans (M1), minibuses (M2), buses (M3), vans (N1), transporters (N2), trucks (N2) and heavy commercial vehicles (N3).
Vehicle registration and city government sell stickers. Local garages and vehicle inspection centres such as TUeV and DEKRA are also authorised to sell stickers. If you buy them directly from municipal offices, they cost €5. Online, they can cost more. And if they need to be shipped abroad, that can sometimes be a bit more expensive. The city of Berlin sells stickers online (in English or German) for 6 €. TUeV-SUeD offers stickers for 15 € in German, Česky, Français, English, Italiano, Polski, Tuerkçe. TUeV-NORD sells stickers for €9.90 if the vehicle is registered in Germany, for €17.50 if the vehicle is not registered in Germany.
The environmental zone in Mainz is delimited by the freeway ring. The industrial area north and south are excluded from the zone.
Mainz does not have to introduce a diesel Euro 6 environmental zone (also called a route-related driving ban for diesel Euro 5 and worse). The diesel Euro 6 environmental zone would have included part of Rheinstrasse (from Holzhofstrasse to Kaiser-Karl-Ring) in downtown Mainz, called Rheinachse.
Buy vignettes only on the official websites of the city or TueV. Other websites are often much more expensive if you can get a valid sticker there at all.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Germany is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to provide a copy of your driver's license when applying for the license. If you are mailing your application in, a copy of both the front and the back of the license should be included. You also must present two passport photos to get an international driver's license in Germany. This is all that you need to obtain an international license for driving in Germany.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you. At Orbit Car Hire you can buy additional coverage so you can travel throughout Germany without worry.
- Additional requirements: It is a legal requirement that vehicles have certain safety gear, such as orange vests, caution triangles, and a first aid kit. Verify with your car rental where these are located in your car. You also need to check that you have additional light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company).Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car),
- Children in the car: Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear a seatbelt. If a passenger is found without one, then the driver is held responsible with a high fine. In Germany, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children under twelve (and under 150cm) must have a booster or restraint system and be seated in the back. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: When driving in towns, the speed limit is automatically 50 km/h unless stated otherwise. When driving out of towns, the speed limit is automatically 100 km/h unless otherwise stated. NOTE: There will not always be a speed limit sign! Therefore, you need to know that as soon as you enter a village or “built-up” area that automatically means the speed limit is 50km/h! 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit.
Car Hire in Mainz
Most popular car hire at Mainz
The most selected hire car in Mainz is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Mainz are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Mainz
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Mainz. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Germany.
Mainz-Frankfurt (Main) (43km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Mainz-Hanau (63km with approximately 45 minutes of drive)
Mainz-Berlin (574km with approximately 6 hours of drive)
Mainz-Stuttgart (208km with approximately 2-2,5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Mainz
Frankfurt, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Rothenburg Ob der Tauber, Rothenburg, Stuttgart, Heidelberg...
What to see in Mainz
Mainz or many would say the wine capital of Germany, is a city with a wide variety of things to do for any type of tourist or traveller. There are really many different things you can see and do here.
One of the most famous attractions of the city is the Mainz Cathedral. This majestic structure was built about 1000 years ago and is still the most important religious object in this region. Besides that, it is also a very popular tourist attraction. If you come to Mainz, you will know why.
Another attraction you should not miss in Mainz is the Guttenberg Museum. Guttenberg, the man who printed the first Bible, was born and lived here in Mainz. Today you can visit the museum dedicated to the life and work of this great man.
The market is another attraction worth visiting, as there are many different things to do here. Three times a week there is a market in this square where you can buy all kinds of local products. But there are also some tourist attractions here like the market fountain and the Romanesque palace chapel, which was commissioned by Adalbert of Mainz.
Other places you can visit here in Mainz: Stephankirche, Kirschgarten, Schillerplatz, Rheinufer, Landesmuseum Mainz, Augustinerkirche, Museum of Ancient Navigation, Holzturm, Eisenturm, Sanctuary of Isis and Mater Magna, Mainzer Fastnacht, 1. FSV Mainz 05...
Drive your rental car beyond Mainz
Germany or the Federal Republic of Germany as the country's official name is, is located in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe after Russia. Germany borders Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west. The country's capital and largest city is Berlin, and Germany's financial centre is Frankfurt. In many ways, Germany is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most developed countries in the world. It is the country with the largest economy in Europe and the fourth-largest economy in the world. It is a world leader in several industrial, scientific and technological fields and is both the third-largest exporter and the third-largest importer of goods.
But of course, Germany is not just an industrial and financial giant. It is a country with many opportunities in many different fields. From arts, education, tourism, sports, etc. Germany has a long and turbulent past with all kinds of events and among these events, there are some that Germans are not very proud of, such as the World War. There are many monuments, museums and places that commemorate these events and send a warning to the world that this kind of event should never happen again.
Germany consists of 16 states (Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Bavaria), and each of them has something different to offer and is really worth visiting. The country lies between the Baltic and North Seas in the north and the Alps in the south. So there really is a lot to see and do here, from the south to the north. One of the great advantages of this country is the fact that the road infrastructure here is really well developed and among the best in Europe. It is an ideal country for a road trip. You should probably do more than one road trip through Germany if you want to explore it properly, but you can be sure that you will have a great time no matter which part of the country you want to explore. You can either opt for the bigger cities in Germany, as there are a large number of cities in this country and there are really countless interesting things to see and do in most of the cities. Also, there are many festivals that take place throughout the year. So you just need to research well and make a good plan before coming here, because you really need to be well organized if you want to see and do as many things as possible.
In Germany, there are also many great options for those who prefer a more active type of vacation. For those who love the mountains, there are many great mountain trails and routes that you can explore either on your own or with a guided group. In the Alps you can also do many other activities, from climbing to mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, skating on the many great lakes, etc.
If you are not interested in the mountains, you can always visit the lakes and rivers or even try rafting or kayaking. The countryside in Germany is also beautiful and worth experiencing. You can also drive around and visit many romantic little villages where you can learn more about the German culture and traditions, meet the locals and try some local specialities. If you decide to explore the German countryside, you can also be prepared to see some amazing castles. Some of them are abandoned and only ruins remind us that the castle was here in the past, but some castles are still alive and are being renovated to house museums, galleries, etc. and are spectacular tourist attractions. An interesting fact about Germany is that it is the country with the third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Besides castles, there are fascinating churches and other majestic architectures all over the country that will simply take your breath away.
For technology freaks and lovers of the automotive industry, there are some of the most famous brands from this country whose factories and museums you can visit, e.g. BMW, Mercedez, Audi...
The country is also famous for its gastronomy and it is important to highlight two traditional German flagships in this field. The beer is undoubtedly one, with the Oktoberfest, one of the most famous festivals in the world, where record-breaking amounts of beer are sold every year, and then of course the sausage, as it is called. If you are in Germany, you should definitely try the sausage and the beer. This is German tradition and pride.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Mainz
Mainz is a perfect destination for all gourmets. It is also the so-called wine capital of Germany, so you know what to expect here. But you can also always expect surprises. In Mainz, the gastronomic surprises are usually positive, as there are a large number of fantastic restaurants and pubs throughout the city where you can enjoy a wide variety of cuisines. From traditional German cuisine to more modern menus and also menus from all over the world.
Best restaurant in Mainz
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Germany?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Germany?
The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Germany?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Germany with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Germany?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Germany?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car in Germany?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Germany?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Germany?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Alamo, Enterprise, Europcar, Buchbinder, and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Germany?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Renault Clio, VW Golf, BMW 1 series.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Germany?
Most car rentals in Germany offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Mainz
Best of Germany