Car Hire in Memmingen
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Memmingen
Memmingen is a city in Germany, more precisely in the state of Bavaria. Memmingen is part of the Danube-Iller region. The city was founded in the Roman Empire on the beacons of the Iller River, which is also the border with Baden-Wuerttemberg. Memmingen is also part of the administrative region of Swabia. It is the fifth-largest city in this administrative region.
Memmingen is now a very interesting and charming city, where there is a lot to see and experience. It is also an important city for all of Germany and beyond. Many people call this city "the city of human rights". This is because of the 12 articles that were written down here in Memmingen in 1525, which are the first written version of human rights in Europe. So all in all, this is a very important historical city with many fantastic and very well preserved sights that you can visit in the city.
Of course, the city is not very big, so you can explore Memmingen in two days. Therefore, it is the best option for a short stopover on your road trip through Germany or through Bavaria. Memmingen could also be the perfect starting point for your road trip through Germany because there is an international airport here and after coming here by plane, you can rent a car, pick it up at the airport and then explore this interesting part of Europe. There are really many interesting things you can see and do here in Memmingen and also in the surrounding areas. So before you come to Bavaria, make sure you do your research and make a good plan, because that way you will not spend too much time and you will see as much as possible.
One of the highlights of this city is also the gastronomic offer, which is really rich here. You can eat in some delicious restaurants and drink fabulous German beers. Another advantage of Memmingen is that it is well connected to other cities in the region and also to other cities in Germany. The roads are in good condition, so all you need to do is rent a car, buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Memmingen
- Location: Bavaria, Germany
- Population: 44,360
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Memmingen, the summers are comfortable and wet, the winters are very cold and snowy, and it is partly cloudy year-round.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Memmingen are in good condition.
- Car hire in Memmingen: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Memmingen is at the Memmingen Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Memmingen!
Driving in Memmingen
Memmingen is a relatively small city, so the traffic here is not very hectic. Of course, there can be traffic jams during rush hours, but overall the traffic in Memmingen is very calm and well organised. It is best to park your car in one of the many public parking lots (parking is not free) and then explore the city centre on foot. There are many pedestrian zones and also many one-way streets, so it can be quite confusing to move around the city by car. Therefore, walking around Memmingen is definitely the best idea. There are also many great things to see on your walk through the city centre. It would be a shame if you miss these places because you drive past them by car.
After you have explored the city centre, you can continue exploring Memmingen and its surroundings by car. There are some amazing attractions outside the city that can only be reached by car, so you will waste as little time as possible.
It is good to know that in some German cities the so-called environmental zones have been introduced to maintain a healthy environment for the people who live here. An environmental zone in Germany is a zone where motorised vehicles are only allowed to enter with an environmental badge. In German, these zones are called Umweltzone, which translates to the environmental zone. As of 2021, there are 58 environmental zones in Germany, covering more than 70 cities. The obligation to possess the environmental badge applies to both German and foreign cars (M1), motor homes (M1), heavy caravans (M1), minibuses (M2), buses (M3), vans (N1), transporters (N2), trucks (N2) and heavy commercial vehicles (N3).
So before you leave, check if a vignette is required in your destination city.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Germany is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to provide a copy of your driver's license when applying for the license. If you are mailing your application in, a copy of both the front and the back of the license should be included. You also must present two passport photos to get an international driver's license in Germany. This is all that you need to obtain an international license for driving in Germany.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you. At Orbit Car Hire you can buy additional coverage so you can travel throughout Germany without worry.
- Additional requirements: It is a legal requirement that vehicles have certain safety gear, such as orange vests, caution triangles, and a first aid kit. Verify with your car rental where these are located in your car. You also need to check that you have additional light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company).Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car),
- Children in the car: Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear a seatbelt. If a passenger is found without one, then the driver is held responsible with a high fine. In Germany, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children under twelve (and under 150cm) must have a booster or restraint system and be seated in the back. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: When driving in towns, the speed limit is automatically 50 km/h unless stated otherwise. When driving out of towns, the speed limit is automatically 100 km/h unless otherwise stated. NOTE: There will not always be a speed limit sign! Therefore, you need to know that as soon as you enter a village or “built-up” area that automatically means the speed limit is 50km/h! 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit.
Car Hire in Memmingen
Most popular car hire at Memmingen
The most selected hire car in Memmingen is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Memmingen are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Memmingen
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Memmingen. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Germany.
Memmingen- München (117km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Memmingen-Ulm (56km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Memmingen-Reutlingen (140km with approximately 1,5 hours of drive)
Memmingen-Berlin (662km with approximately 7 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from Memmingen
Hofbräuhaus, Nymphenburg Palace, Dachau Concentration Camp, Marienplatz, Munich, Salzburg, Hallstatt, Innsbruck, Neuschwanstein Castle, Fussen
What to see in Memmingen
Although it is a small city, there is a lot to see and do here. Especially if you want to explore Memmingen's surroundings as well. Memmingen is a historically significant city and you can feel that significance at every turn in the historic centre of Memmingen. If you want to explore this city properly, you should stay here for two days. This means that you can explore the city centre and also discover some surrounding areas of Memmingen that also have a lot to offer.
One of the places you should definitely visit in Memmingen is undoubtedly the Old Town. This charming and colourful place is full of surprises and hidden gems. The buildings are really well preserved and you will enjoy the spirit of these wonderful mediaeval streets and small squares, little gardens, etc.
Memmingen Town Hall is another building worth seeing with a stunning facade full of small details and decorations.
The Church of St. Martin is one of the oldest buildings in the city and is truly breathtaking. This wonderful church is also a place where you can listen to free organ concerts. It is truly a place worth seeing.
Other places you should visit in Memmingen: MEWO Kunsthalle, Siebendacherhaus, Stadtpark Neue Welt, Stadtmuseum, Kreuzherrensaal, Steuerhaus, Hexenturm (Memmingen), Fischerbrunnen, Landestheater Schwaben, Kempter Tor, Ulmer Tor, Westertor...
Drive your rental car beyond Memmingen
Germany or the Federal Republic of Germany as the country's official name is, is located in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe after Russia. Germany borders Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west. The country's capital and largest city is Berlin, and Germany's financial centre is Frankfurt. In many ways, Germany is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most developed countries in the world. It is the country with the largest economy in Europe and the fourth-largest economy in the world. It is a world leader in several industrial, scientific and technological fields and is both the third-largest exporter and the third-largest importer of goods.
But of course, Germany is not just an industrial and financial giant. It is a country with many opportunities in many different fields. From arts, education, tourism, sports, etc. Germany has a long and turbulent past with all kinds of events and among these events, there are some that Germans are not very proud of, such as the World War. There are many monuments, museums and places that commemorate these events and send a warning to the world that this kind of event should never happen again.
Germany consists of 16 states (Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Bavaria), and each of them has something different to offer and is really worth visiting. The country lies between the Baltic and North Seas in the north and the Alps in the south. So there really is a lot to see and do here, from the south to the north. One of the great advantages of this country is the fact that the road infrastructure here is really well developed and among the best in Europe. It is an ideal country for a road trip. You should probably do more than one road trip through Germany if you want to explore it properly, but you can be sure that you will have a great time no matter which part of the country you want to explore. You can either opt for the bigger cities in Germany, as there are a large number of cities in this country and there are really countless interesting things to see and do in most of the cities. Also, there are many festivals that take place throughout the year. So you just need to research well and make a good plan before coming here, because you really need to be well organized if you want to see and do as many things as possible.
In Germany, there are also many great options for those who prefer a more active type of vacation. For those who love the mountains, there are many great mountain trails and routes that you can explore either on your own or with a guided group. In the Alps you can also do many other activities, from climbing to mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, skating on the many great lakes, etc.
If you are not interested in the mountains, you can always visit the lakes and rivers or even try rafting or kayaking. The countryside in Germany is also beautiful and worth experiencing. You can also drive around and visit many romantic little villages where you can learn more about the German culture and traditions, meet the locals and try some local specialities. If you decide to explore the German countryside, you can also be prepared to see some amazing castles. Some of them are abandoned and only ruins remind us that the castle was here in the past, but some castles are still alive and are being renovated to house museums, galleries, etc. and are spectacular tourist attractions. An interesting fact about Germany is that it is the country with the third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Besides castles, there are fascinating churches and other majestic architectures all over the country that will simply take your breath away.
For technology freaks and lovers of the automotive industry, there are some of the most famous brands from this country whose factories and museums you can visit, e.g. BMW, Mercedez, Audi...
The country is also famous for its gastronomy and it is important to highlight two traditional German flagships in this field. The beer is undoubtedly one, with the Oktoberfest, one of the most famous festivals in the world, where record-breaking amounts of beer are sold every year, and then of course the sausage, as it is called. If you are in Germany, you should definitely try the sausage and the beer. This is German tradition and pride.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Memmingen
Memmingen is full of great restaurants. Especially in the city centre (the old town), there are really many great restaurants. This is really a paradise for all foodies. You can either enjoy traditional Bavarian and German cuisine, but you can also find restaurants where you can order modern German and Bavarian cuisine and also menus from all over the world. This region is also famous for beer production. There are many really high-quality German beers from Bavaria and if you are in Memmingen, you will have the perfect opportunity to try some of the best German beers. There are some really good pubs with a long and strong tradition in this city and you should definitely reserve an evening for exploring these amazing pubs.
Best restaurant in Memmingen
Zur Blauen Traube
Wirtshaus zum Hoigata
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Germany?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Germany?
The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Germany?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Germany with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Germany?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Germany?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car in Germany?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Germany?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Germany?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Alamo, Enterprise, Europcar, Buchbinder, and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Germany?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Renault Clio, VW Golf, BMW 1 series.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Germany?
Most car rentals in Germany offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Memmingen
Best of Germany