Car Hire in Wuppertal
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Wuppertal
Wuppertal is a city in Germany and is located in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the seventh-largest city in this state and the 17th largest city in Germany. Wuppertal is the capital and the largest city in the Bergisches Land region.
This city is worth visiting in many ways. There is a rich artistic programme throughout the year, there are many business opportunities, good food and much more. So if you are looking for a place where you can visit many different cultural, historical and religious sites and combine this with good food and good business opportunities, this is the place for you. Wuppertal offers you all this and much more. You just need to research well and make a good plan before coming here.
The city has a really long and rich past. It has always been an important industrial city in the region and beyond, but besides industry, Wuppertal has always been an inviting tourist destination. In addition to the many cultural events that take place here throughout the year, there are also many opportunities for artists.
One of the most famous attractions in Wuppertal is, of course, the Wuppertal suspension railroad, which was founded in 1905. Another interesting thing about Wuppertal is that there are really many great shopping opportunities in the city.
There are several important institutions in this city, including the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy and the European Institute for International Economic Relations.
So if you are taking a road trip through Germany, be sure to set aside a few days to visit Wuppertal. This is a great destination to explore the German past and culture. The roads are in great condition and the city is really charming and has a great atmosphere. Buckle up and drive safely!
Basic info and car hire in Wuppertal
- Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Population: 355,004
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Wuppertal, the summers are comfortable and partly cloudy and the winters are very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Wuppertal are in good condition.
- Car hire in Wuppertal: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Wuppertal is at the Wuppertal Downtown. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Wuppertal!
Driving in Wuppertal
Renting a car in Wuppertal is the best solution if you want to explore the city and its surroundings properly. The roads here are in a good condition, the landscape around the city is beautiful and there is also plenty of space for safe parking. So, driving in Wuppertal should be a great experience. All you have to do is obey all the road signs and follow the traffic rules.
Since Wuppertal, and in fact the whole region, has a strong industry, the so-called environmental zones were introduced to maintain a healthy environment for the people who live here. An environmental zone in Germany is a zone where motorised vehicles are only allowed to enter with an environmental badge. In German, these zones are called Umweltzone, which translates to the environmental zone. As of 2021, there are 58 environmental zones in Germany, covering more than 70 cities. The obligation to possess the environmental badge applies to both German and foreign cars (M1), motor homes (M1), heavy caravans (M1), minibuses (M2), buses (M3), vans (N1), transporters (N2), trucks (N2) and heavy commercial vehicles (N3).
So the best way to explore the city centre is on foot. The city centre is not very big, so it will not be a big task for you to explore it on foot. After you have explored the city centre, you can sit in your car, buckle up and explore Wuppertal and its surroundings at your own pace.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Germany is 18 years old. The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine Orbit Car Hire.
- International Driving Permit: You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to provide a copy of your driver's license when applying for the license. If you are mailing your application in, a copy of both the front and the back of the license should be included. You also must present two passport photos to get an international driver's license in Germany. This is all that you need to obtain an international license for driving in Germany.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you. At Orbit Car Hire you can buy additional coverage so you can travel throughout Germany without worry.
- Additional requirements: It is a legal requirement that vehicles have certain safety gear, such as orange vests, caution triangles, and a first aid kit. Verify with your car rental where these are located in your car. You also need to check that you have additional light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company).Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car),
- Children in the car: Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear a seatbelt. If a passenger is found without one, then the driver is held responsible with a high fine. In Germany, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children under twelve (and under 150cm) must have a booster or restraint system and be seated in the back. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: When driving in towns, the speed limit is automatically 50 km/h unless stated otherwise. When driving out of towns, the speed limit is automatically 100 km/h unless otherwise stated. NOTE: There will not always be a speed limit sign! Therefore, you need to know that as soon as you enter a village or “built-up” area that automatically means the speed limit is 50km/h! 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit.
Car Hire in Wuppertal
Most popular car hire at Wuppertal
The most selected hire car in Wuppertal is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Wuppertal are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Wuppertal
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Wuppertal. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Germany.
Wuppertal- Düsseldorf (37km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
Wuppertal-Essen (35km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
Wuppertal-Dortmund (50km with approximately 40 minutes of drive)
Wuppertal- Köln (54km with appproximately 45 minutes of drive)
Popular day trips from Wuppertal
Buchholz (Westerwald), Königswinter, Maritim Hotel Bonn, Bonn, Zebulon, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität, Marktplatz, La Piccola, Beethoven-Haus, Münsterplatz, Mercure Hotel Bonn Hardtberg...
What to see in Wuppertal
Wuppertal was and is an industrial city, but it has never been and never will be a purely industrial city. There are so many things to see and do in this charming place. There are so many great cultural events and so many amazing historical, cultural and religious sites that you will definitely fall in love with Wuppertal.
One of the attractions worth visiting is undoubtedly the Von der Heydt Museum. This museum was founded in 1902 and is one of the best art museums in Germany. Here you can admire many different works of art from all over the world. From German masterpieces to other European greats, everything is represented in the Von der Heydt Museum.
When in Wuppertal, do not miss the Wuppertal suspension railroad, the oldest electric elevated railroad in the world with suspended carriages. There are 20 stations on the route of this train and it is truly a unique attraction and experience in this city.
Stadthalle Wuppertal is one of the best concert halls in the country and even beyond. Some people say that this is the best place for concert recording because the acoustics are ideal. It was built in 1900 and is still very active and popular.
Other places to visit in Wuppertal: Skulpturenpark Waldfrieden, Wuppertal Zoo, Luisenviertel, Museum für Frühindustrialisierung, Engels-Haus, Hardt-Anlage, Botanischer Garten Wuppertal, Bergische Museumsbahnen, Opernhaus Wuppertal, Briller Viertel, Neumarkt, Schloss Lüntenbeck...
Drive your rental car beyond Wuppertal
Germany or the Federal Republic of Germany as the country's official name is, is located in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe after Russia. Germany borders Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west. The country's capital and largest city is Berlin, and Germany's financial centre is Frankfurt. In many ways, Germany is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most developed countries in the world. It is the country with the largest economy in Europe and the fourth-largest economy in the world. It is a world leader in several industrial, scientific and technological fields and is both the third-largest exporter and the third-largest importer of goods.
But of course, Germany is not just an industrial and financial giant. It is a country with many opportunities in many different fields. From arts, education, tourism, sports, etc. Germany has a long and turbulent past with all kinds of events and among these events, there are some that Germans are not very proud of, such as the World War. There are many monuments, museums and places that commemorate these events and send a warning to the world that this kind of event should never happen again.
Germany consists of 16 states (Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Brandenburg, Berlin, Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Bavaria), and each of them has something different to offer and is really worth visiting. The country lies between the Baltic and North Seas in the north and the Alps in the south. So there really is a lot to see and do here, from the south to the north. One of the great advantages of this country is the fact that the road infrastructure here is really well developed and among the best in Europe. It is an ideal country for a road trip. You should probably do more than one road trip through Germany if you want to explore it properly, but you can be sure that you will have a great time no matter which part of the country you want to explore. You can either opt for the bigger cities in Germany, as there are a large number of cities in this country and there are really countless interesting things to see and do in most of the cities. Also, there are many festivals that take place throughout the year. So you just need to research well and make a good plan before coming here, because you really need to be well organized if you want to see and do as many things as possible.
In Germany, there are also many great options for those who prefer a more active type of vacation. For those who love the mountains, there are many great mountain trails and routes that you can explore either on your own or with a guided group. In the Alps you can also do many other activities, from climbing to mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, skating on the many great lakes, etc.
If you are not interested in the mountains, you can always visit the lakes and rivers or even try rafting or kayaking. The countryside in Germany is also beautiful and worth experiencing. You can also drive around and visit many romantic little villages where you can learn more about the German culture and traditions, meet the locals and try some local specialities. If you decide to explore the German countryside, you can also be prepared to see some amazing castles. Some of them are abandoned and only ruins remind us that the castle was here in the past, but some castles are still alive and are being renovated to house museums, galleries, etc. and are spectacular tourist attractions. An interesting fact about Germany is that it is the country with the third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Besides castles, there are fascinating churches and other majestic architectures all over the country that will simply take your breath away.
For technology freaks and lovers of the automotive industry, there are some of the most famous brands from this country whose factories and museums you can visit, e.g. BMW, Mercedez, Audi...
The country is also famous for its gastronomy and it is important to highlight two traditional German flagships in this field. The beer is undoubtedly one, with the Oktoberfest, one of the most famous festivals in the world, where record-breaking amounts of beer are sold every year, and then of course the sausage, as it is called. If you are in Germany, you should definitely try the sausage and the beer. This is German tradition and pride.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Wuppertal
Wuppertal is a great destination for foodies. This city is known for its many great restaurants. Here in Wuppertal, you can really find everything you can imagine, from restaurants where you can eat only traditional German dishes, to many different restaurants that serve international cuisine and you can order menus from all over the world. But that's not all, here in Wuppertal you can also find some renowned restaurants where you need to reserve your table weeks in advance. And of course, we should also mention the delicious street food. So the offer is really huge. It's up to you how much time you have and how many different flavours you want to try. And if you are in Germany, you can of course choose from many different types of beer.
Best restaurant in Wuppertal
Amalfi Il Ristorante
HANS IM GLUECK Burgergrill & Bar
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Germany?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Germany?
The minimum age to rent a car in Germany is 21 years old, however, some suppliers allow young drivers from 18 years of age to rent a car from them. A young driver fee can apply for drivers that are under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Germany?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Germany with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Germany?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Germany?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car in Germany?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Germany?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Aygo and Opel Corsa often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Germany?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Alamo, Enterprise, Europcar, Buchbinder, and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Germany?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Renault Clio, VW Golf, BMW 1 series.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book for Germany?
Most car rentals in Germany offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Wuppertal
Best of Germany