Car Hire in Albufeira
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Albufeira
Albufeira is a coastal city located near Faro in Portugal. Albufeira has many great things to offer including amazing beaches. Albufeira is the perfect family holiday location as it has many activities and facilities made for children and their families. Albufeira offers great diversity with their beautiful beaches, you can also find great nightlife in Albufeira if that is what is in the travel plans. If you are looking for a holiday location that offers relaxation, great activities and cheap hotels. Then look no further as Albufeira has everything you are looking for!
Hiring a car in Albufeira is simple and easy. If you did not hire your car in Faro, you can find great car hire companies such as AirAuto, Europcar and Enterprise Rent a Car with deals in Albufeira. Hiring a car is recommended as the Algarve area has so much to offer, and some fantastic driving routes that are worth trying out.
Basic info and car hire in Albufeira
- Location: Southern Algarve region of Portugal
- Population: 37.244 (2021)
- Official language: Portuguese and Mirandese.
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: The south of Portugal has a typical hot-summer Mediterranean climate. Summers are hot and sunny (80 - 86 °F / 27 - 30 °C), while autumns and winters are mild (46 - 62 °F / 8 - 17 °C). The south of Portugal is a great, but quite underrated, year-round destination that can re-energise you with the sunny days in winter. If you are lucky, the swimming season can last into November, and by April temperatures can rise again to welcome you. If swimming is not your priority, the Algarve is just perfect for walking along the coast, and with a car hire in Faro, it's easy to explore the sleepy villages. And when you stop off, be sure to breathe in the fresh sea air. All of this is made easy with a car rental in Faro. Plus, during the off-season, prices drop, making some of the poshest accommodations very affordable. An opportunity not to be missed!
- Holidays in Albufeira: For a full list of public holidays in Portugal, click here »
- Internet coverage: Most hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Portuguese roads are well maintained and as frost and snow are rare, especially in the Portuguese South, you will not experience any major complications with your car hire in Albufeira even in winter. Road connections are also excellent and the highways are wide and modern, which is really good news for all car hire in Faro.
- Car hire in Albufeira: Prices vary, if you are looking for the cheapest car hire option we recommend looking at Faro Airport.
Driving in Albufeira
Road condition is very good in Portugal, especially in the southern part of Portugal. You will not experience any difficulties with your car hire in Albufeira. Road conditions are very good and the highways are wide and good to drive, which is great to keep in mind when getting a car hire in Albufeira. There are two toll systems in Portugal. The traditional toll road is called Via Verde (Green Lane). These toll lanes are marked with green V signs. To use a Via Verde lane, you must buy or rent an electronic transponder or vignette at all CTT Post Office and Via Verde shops. This way you can pay with cash, credit cards or prepaid cards while driving. Do not use the Via Verde lanes if you do not have a Via Verde transponder. Other roads only use electronic tolling, which means there are no toll booths and you can not pay as you drive. Instead, devices placed at the start of these highways detect passing vehicles. These toll roads are marked with a black car and three expanding bars. Most car rental companies in Portugal have Via Verde transponders installed in their vehicles, but if you want to rent a car in Portugal, it is a good idea to ask the company how their system works with both toll systems.
- Age limits: 21 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a licence for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU licence holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Portugal).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, reflective vests, spare wheel, spare light bulbs are required as well as a hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or shorter than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat if they are in a secured, rear-facing children’s seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right side.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on while in a tunnel or during conditions of poor visibility.
- General speed limits: 75 mph / 120 kph on motorways, 55 mph / 90 kph outside cities and 30 mph / 50 kph in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: It can be proven to be quite difficult to find parking lots in Albufeira, especially in the old town. There are a few parking spaces where you can park for free, for example near Avenida do Ténis. Finding parking will not be a problem so to say, but you have to be prepared to walk 5-10 minutes to get downtown.
Car Hire in Albufeira
Most popular car hire at Albufeira
The most selected hire car in Albufeira is the Ford Fiesta, with the Opel Corsa and Fiat Panda also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Albufeira are Mini and Economy car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Top One-Way Trips From Albufeira
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Albufeira. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Portugal.
- Albufeira - Faro
- Albufeira - Lisbon
- Albufeira - Porto
- Albufeira - Lagos
What to see in Albufeira
Whether you are looking for a relaxing holiday at the beach or a party with great wildlife or even a trip with the family, one thing is for certain and that is Albufeira has it all. Visit some of the whopping 25 beaches that are around Albufeira, we strongly recommend the Praia de São Rafael beach, located not too far from the old town. The old town, also known as "Old Albufeira" is a historical part of Albufeira that will take you about one hour to walk around and explore. This is truly a must-do while in Albufeira. On many of the beaches in Albufeira, some caves can only be entered by water, many companies offer kayak, canal and standing paddleboard trips to explore these magical caves in the ocean. If you are looking for a beach far from all the noise, Praia da Galé is the beach for you. Travelling with the children? Then we strongly recommend a day trip to Zoomarine Algarve. If you are looking to stay off the beach for a day, then you can visit the outdoor pursuit in Albufeira, don't worry it's totally safe as you are hooked to a safety line while playing around.
Drive your rental car beyond Albufeira
Albufeira is a town that has it all, beaches, kid-friendly parks, an old town and great nightlife. But it is also close to many great destinations that are worth going to visit. It is best done with a rental car, so if you have not secured your car hire in Albufeira, you might want to consider that. Take a drive to Cape St Vincent the iconic lighthouse in the Algarve region. Take a day trip to Lagos Zoo and see all the exotic animals. Take a drive to Faro and explore all of what it has to offer, including the old Faro town. Visit some of the Gipsy markets where you can make real bargain deals.
Enjoy the culture in Albufeira
Where to eat, drink, and party in Albufeira
Albufeira use to be a big fishing village in Portugal. Today Albufeira is one of the most popular holiday destinations in Portugal. But it has kept its fishing traditions by offering some of the best fish dishes in all of Portugal. If you are looking for restaurants in Albufeira here is our recommendations, although the list can be longer due to the quality of restaurants. Restaurante The
Cockerel, Jompra, O Farnel (Steakhouse), Cai's ao mar and Festa Da Praia. If you are looking for good coffee places in Albufeira you can look at Al-Gharb Coffee Roasters, @patrick's Café, Delta Mundo do Café and Cafe Leo's.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Portugal?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Portugal?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in Portugal?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Portugal with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Portugal?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Portugal?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
Are there any hidden fees in my Portugal car hire?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is the cheapest rental car in Portugal?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as VW Up, Fiat 500, and Peugeot 108 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Portugal?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, OK rent a car, Centauro, Guerin, SadoRent and AirAuto.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Portugal?
Most car hires in Portugal offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Albufeira
Best of Portugal