Car Hire in Ljubljana
Find your car rental
Ljubljana is a great city to stay. In the summer there is beautiful weather and with all the entertainment that the capital is offering for sure, you will not be bored. In the winter when the snow covers all the buildings and trees and you can only see the beautiful Christmas decoration it is a truly magical place. So if you are searching for something new to discover, Ljubljana is a perfect choice.
Since Ljubljana is small you can have a nice walk throughout the city, the river Ljubljanica flows through the entire centre of Ljubljana, which gives this beautiful city additional value. In case you would like to see more than just the centre, we recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Ljubljana is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Ljubljana
- Location: Central Slovenian statistical regions
- Population: 279.631 (2019)
- Official language: Slovenian (English is widely spoken in Slovenia)
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: In Ljubljana, the climate is continental, adjacent to the sub-tropical humid climate, with continental characteristics, such as warm summers and moderately cold winters
- Holidays in Ljubljana: Ljubljana is full of events, and you will also find many museums, bars, and restaurants where you can spice up your holiday.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Ljubljana are in excellent condition. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout.
- Car hire in Ljubljana: You can find various car rental options in the centre of Ljubljana, but the airport is not far either. Ljubljana Airport has situated around 30 km from the capital. The average daily price for hiring a car in Ljubljana is10 £ / 15 € in the off-season time ( Autumn and Winter ), and around 25 £ / 35 € in the spring and summertime. Please note that prices vary frequently. It's best to make a car booking 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this way you ensure the lowest car hire price. Alternatively, it is possible to find a great last-minute car hire deal.
Driving in Ljubljana
Driving in Ljubljana is safe and very easy. You will find clear and consistent road signs compared with those used throughout Europe. Generally, roads in Slovenia are in excellent condition. The Ljubljana bypass is a total of 33 kilometres long, and it has more than 20 connections, or on average one per about one and a half kilometres. At the same time, the Ljubljana motorway ring is the busiest on the entire Slovenian motorway junction, and the traffic on it is increasing from year to year.
- Age limits: You must be at least 18 years old (although some rental car companies have higher requirements)
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Slovenia).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 50km/H in built-up areas, 130km/h on Motorways
- Parking suggestions: Chances are you will have to pay for your parking. You will notice small pay machines on the sidewalk at least one every street or so. You pay at the machine, take your ticket, and place it on the dashboard of your vehicle.
Best Service Guaranteed
We want our customers to experience only the best Ljubljana car hire service at all times. We choose our partners carefully to ensure the best possible service. We want your trip to be unique.
No Hidden Fees
Orbit Car Hire deals in Ljubljana include all mandatory fees, taxes, extras, CDW, Theft Protection, and Unlimited Mileage so there won't be surprises when you pick up your hired vehicle.
What to see in Ljubljana
Ljubljana puts people first. There are no more cars in the city centre for a long time, so there is so much more space for terraces of cafes and restaurants, for cultural events, relaxed shopping at various markets, bike paths lene Green areas are intertwined with the urban environment, so you can quickly escape from the hustle and bustle. parks and woods. There are also many opportunities for wandering in the vicinity of Ljubljana. However, if we are talking about the very centre of Ljubljana, then it is worth visiting Ljubljana Castle, which lies on a hill above the city and you can see it from several parts of the city. Also one of the sights is the triple bridge near the main square. In addition to all the museums and galleries that can be found in this city, it is also worth visiting the many Cafes along the Ljubljana River, Slovenian food market, St. Nicholas Cathedral, Dragon Bridge and also Metelkova street where you can spend the night in a hostel that still resembles a former prison. You can also take a free walking tour guide, which is not lacking in Ljubljana.
Drive your rental car beyond Ljubljana
If you are located in Ljubljana and you would like to see other things that Slovenia has to offer, then this will not be a problem, as it is a relatively very small country, so with a short drive, you can see both the coastal part of Slovenia and the more mountainous part. in the Gorenjska region. the interesting thing about this small country is that in the morning you can stand on top of the surrounding hill or mountain, and in the afternoon you can already swim in the sea. From Ljubljana, both the mountains and the sea can be reached at a short distance, where you will not spend more than 1 and a half hours driving.
Enjoy the culture in Ljubljana
Where to eat, drink, and party in Ljubljana
Ljubljana is a world of small and culinary tourists offering a diverse and colourful offer for all tastes and every pocket. If you are looking for authentic home cooking or haute cuisine, a trendy brunch or a classic breakfast, a romantic corner, or a place for a lively evening with friends, you are at the right place. Ljubljana's culinary scene is like Ljubljana itself - ancient and youthful, refined and exuberant, homely and cosmopolitan.
Looking for fun? There is something suitable for everyone in Ljubljana! You can socialize, sit, observe other partygoers, or dance to the sounds of different musical genres. Ljubljana is not big, so you can easily afford a night wandering around bars and clubs, which will last until the early morning.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Slovenia?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Slovenia?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Slovenia?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Slovenia with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Slovenia?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Slovenia?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Slovenia?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Slovenia?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Opel Corsa and VW Polo often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Slovenia?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, Keddy, and Auto Union car rentals.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Slovenia?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Renault Captur, Volkswagen Polo, Opel Corsa, and Volkswagen Golf.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Slovenia?
Most car rentals in Slovenia offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Ljubljana 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In LjubljanaMost popular car rentals in Ljubljana are AbbyCar, Alamo Car Hire, AutoUnion Car Rental, Enterprise Rent a Car , Europcar, Green Motion Car Rental and Sixt Rent a Car
Best of Slovenia