Car Hire in Bloemfontein
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Bloemfontein
Bloemfontein, or Bloem as many people call it, is a city in South Africa. It is located in the Free State province. It is one of the three capitals of South Africa and is the legal capital of the country, while Cape Town is the legislative capital and Pretoria is the administrative capital. Bloemfontein is also the capital of the Free State province. It is the seventh-largest city in South Africa. It is located about 1,400 metres above sea level and is called "the city of roses" by many people because of the very popular Rose Festival that takes place here every year.
Overall, Bloemfontein is a very important African city where many important institutions are located. Bloemfontein is not only one of the three capital cities, but also a very popular tourist attraction with many different cultural, historical and religious sites worth visiting. There is also a lot of wonderful natural beauty in this area, so you can really see and do a lot of different things here. Before you come to Bloemfontein, you should make a good plan because there are so many different places to visit and so many different activities to do that you need to be well prepared. Bloemfontein is a perfect stopover if you are taking a road trip through South Africa.
The city is easily accessible by car. So if you are planning to explore South Africa, a rental car is probably the best option by far. The roads here are in good condition and the scenery is stunning, so you will really enjoy your drive. When you come to Bloemfontein, you will be amazed by the beauty and fantastic spirit of this city. The people here are very nice and there is really a lot to see and do here. The special thing about this city is that it is completely surrounded by a nature reserve. So when you come to Bloem, you can be sure that some great adventures are in the shop for you.
Basic info and car hire in Bloemfontein
- Location: Free State Province, South Africa
- Population: 556,000
- Official language: Ndebele, Pedi, Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu and Afrikaans. Another official language is English, which is the primary language used in parliamentary and state discourse.
- Currency: South African Rand
- Weather: Bloemfontein experiences a semi-arid climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in Bloemfontein are in good condition.
- Car hire in Bloemfontein: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Bloemfontein is at the Bloemfontein Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Bloemfontein!
Driving in Bloemfontein
Driving in South Africa is generally a great experience. The roads are in very good condition and larger towns are very well connected. There are also clear and visible signals on the roads so you do not have to worry about getting lost.
But of course, not all roads are perfect and if you want to explore more rural areas and villages, you have to expect that the roads are not as well maintained and the signalling is not as visible and frequent as in larger cities and on the main roads.
It is also important to be extra careful when travelling in South Africa as there are often wild animals on the road. In larger cities there are also many pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, etc., so you should be careful here as well.
Driving in Bloemfontein is not very complicated. There can be traffic jams in the city centre, especially during rush hours, but traffic jams are not very common. The city is located in the middle of the N1 road, which runs from Polokwane to Cape Town via Gauteng and Bloemfontein. This route is very popular and is one of the best routes in South Africa for those looking for roads to enjoy their drive. A road trip here is truly a unique experience. Buckle up and drive safely!
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and you need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years. You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. It is possible that some suppliers have a policy that anyone under the age of 23 is not eligible for vehicle hire.
- International Driving Permit: If your driving license is not issued in English, you need to provide an official translation or have an International Driving Permit (IDP). You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (which are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), and 2 warnings triangles, First aid kit, fire extinguisher.
- Children in the car: In South Africa, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children must not sit in the front of a car without a suitable restraint system. Up to three years old they can sit in a rear-facing child seat where the airbag is disabled. Up to twelve years old they must sit in the rear of the car with an appropriate booster seat. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Left-hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: Speeding is taken seriously in South Africa. There are speed cameras in most towns and cities as well as on the outskirts of urban areas. Speed limits in the city are 60 km/h (37 mph), on rural roads 100km/h, and on the highways 120 km/h (74 mph), road signs alert drivers if the limit in a particular area is different from this.
Car Hire in Bloemfontein
Most popular car hire at Bloemfontein
The most selected hire car in Bloemfontein is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Bloemfontein are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Bloemfontein
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Bloemfontein. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the South Africa.
Popular day trips from Bloemfontein
Botshabelo, Kroonstad, Vanderbijlpark, Soweto, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Graaff-Reinet,...
What to see in Bloemfontein
One of the most remarkable things about this city is the fact that Bloemfontein is completely surrounded by a nature reserve. That adds a special charm and spirit to this already amazing city. But of course, there are many other things to see and do here in Bloem. The city is known for its great museums, fantastic architecture, a great zoo, casino and much more. So you will definitely find something for yourself here, no matter what kind of tourist or traveller you are.
For example, you should visit King's Park, where you can admire more than 4000 rose plants, which are, so to speak, the symbol of this city, nicknamed "the city of roses". This unique and wonderful park was founded in 1925 and is the meeting place of the locals. Every Saturday there is an art and craft market in the park, but there are also endless possibilities for all kinds of activities in this park.
There are also some very good museums in the city that are definitely worth a visit, for example, Oliewenhuis Art Museum, Anglo-Boer War Museum, The National Museum, The South African Armour Museum, Freshford House Museum...
Another attraction you should definitely visit is the National Women's Memorial. Besides that, there are many other places you should definitely visit: Windmill Casino, Dutch Reformed Church, City Hall, Supreme Court, Franklin Nature Reserve...
Bloemfontein also hosts some very famous and really great festivals and you should definitely visit this city during some of these festivals and join the party, you will not regret it. Here are some of the most famous festivals in the city: Vryfees (July), Witblits Festival (April), Macufe Mangaung African Cultural Festival (October), Ficksburg Cherry Festival (November).
Drive your rental car beyond Bloemfontein
South Africa is officially called the Republic of South Africa. This huge country is 23rd on the list of the most populous nations in the world. The interesting thing about South Africa is that it has three capitals. The executive, judicial and legislative branches are based in Pretoria, Bloemfontein and Cape Town respectively. The largest city in the country is Johannesburg.
If you are planning a road trip through South Africa, you can be sure that a fantastic experience awaits you. There are so many fabulous destinations for a road trip here in this country and there are also some spectacular roads that you will experience while driving through South Africa. The most famous of these is the Garden Route, which stretches between Mossel Bay in the west and Storms River in the east. It is about 200 kilometres long and offers an unforgettable experience with its many rivers, lakes, the sea, mountains, forests and much more.
South Africa is known for the many different things you can see and do here. The country is probably best known for its amazing landscapes, diverse and unique wildlife, vibrant cities and unique culture. But in recent years, South Africa has seen significant growth in many different areas of tourism. For example, there are some world-famous wineries here that are also fantastic tourist attractions.
When in Southern Africa, be sure to visit one of the many safari parks that exist throughout the country. You can learn a lot when visiting these parks, especially about wildlife conservation, which is also very important. There are hundreds of national parks in South Africa and you should definitely visit at least one of them. A stay here in the midst of wild animals is a very special experience. The nights in these parks are especially entertaining and unique. This is an experience you will never forget in your life. The most famous safari park in the country is Kruger National Park, which is home to incredible diversity and tons of amazing wildlife, including the "Big Five" (lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and Cape buffalo). But of course, there are many more parks in the country, here are some of them: Hluhluwe and iMfolozi National Park - It is located in the east of the country and is known for its rhino populations. Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - It is located on the border with Botswana in the north and is known for its black-maned lions. Addo Elephant National Park - Located near Port Elizabeth on the south coast, this is a good choice for safaris on your own. Pilanesburg National Park & Game Reserve - Home to the Big 5, the park can be visited on a day trip from Johannesburg if you are short on time.
But there is another fantastic option for wildlife lovers. You can go whale watching, as South Africa is considered one of the best places for this kind of activity. The best time for whale watching is from June to November. There are several companies that offer and organize whale watching tours. The best and most reliable ones are Southern Right Charters, Hermanus Whale Cruises and Xplora Tours. Another nice activity you can do here is, of course, scuba diving. There are several centres for this sport spread all over South Africa. It is a great place both for beginners, who can take various courses here and for the more experienced divers, who will find some fantastic dive sites here.
For those who prefer a more active vacation, there are plenty of options here in South Africa. One of the most popular options is undoubtedly surfing. There are many fantastic beaches for surfing in both the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, providing endless opportunities for surfers from all over the world. The most popular destination for surfers is Jeffrey's Bay, located on the south coast near Port Elizabeth. Other famous places for surfing are Dungeons, Long Beach, Durban...
If you are not interested in surfing, then you should look for an activity in the Drakensberg region. The Drakensberg is the highest mountain range in South Africa and there are numerous opportunities for hiking, climbing, mountain biking, trekking, etc. Some of the best places in the Drakensberg are Rainbow Gorge: An easy and beautiful two-hour hiking trail in the Cathedral Peak area. Plowman's Kop: A half-day hike with a steep climb. Chain Ladders Hike: A challenging one-day hike with ladders attached to the rock wall. Cathedral Peak: This hike is best climbed with a guide. Giant's Cup Trail: Usually a five-day hike.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Bloemfontein
Bloemfontein is a paradise for any foodie. The range of different cuisines in this city is so wide that you will really enjoy exploring the cuisine of this area and even this country. You can enjoy a variety of different dishes, so there is something for everyone. For example, you can try boerekos, which is a traditional Afrikaans farm food, another food that you should definitely try is township cuisine - traditional meat and potatoes, you can, of course, try fast food with a local twist or you can sit down in a restaurant where you can enjoy top-notch designer cuisine. So Bloemfontein really offers you everything and it is up to you how you choose.
There are also many ways to party here in Bloem. There are some really great nightclubs in the city where you can dance and party until the morning.
Best restaurant in Bloemfontein
New York Restaurant
RocoMamas Langenhoven Park
Margaritas Seafood & Steaks
Copper and Coal Woodfired Grill
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in South Africa?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in South Africa?
The minimum age to rent a car for Economy groups are 19 years old renters. For Compact, Intermediate car groups are available for 21 years old renters. Full-size vans and standard car Groups are available for 25 years old renters. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 21 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in South Africa?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in South Africa with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurance in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in South Africa?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in South Africa?
If your driver's license is not issued in English, you need to provide an official translation or have an International Driving Permit (IDP). You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in South Africa?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in South Africa?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Hyundai I10 and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in South Africa?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Hertz, Firefly, Europcar and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in South Africa?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Toyota, and Kia Picanto.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in South Africa?
Most car rentals in South Africa offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Bloemfontein 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Bloemfontein
Best of South Africa