Car Hire in George
Find your car rental
George is a city in South Africa, more specifically in the western part of the Cape Province. George is the administrative and commercial centre and the seat of the Garden Route District Municipality. It is the third oldest city in South Africa and is located between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth.
George is a fantastic destination for all tourists and travellers looking for a vacation full of adventure. The city has stunning surroundings with breathtaking scenery that offers countless opportunities for all kinds of activities. If you are taking a road trip through South Africa, you should definitely spend a few days here in George. The city is very well connected to other parts of the country, mainly thanks to its well-developed infrastructure. It is located on the Garden Route, which is undoubtedly one of the best routes for a road trip in South Africa and beyond.
George is one of the most famous golf destinations in Africa. There are many wonderful golf courses and many people from all over the world come here to play a round or two of this wonderful sport. But of course, George is not only a destination for those looking for an active vacation. There are also many great cultural, historical and religious sites worth visiting, and if we add some excellent restaurants in the city, George is really a perfect vacation destination. You should be well informed and make a good plan before coming here because there is really a lot to see and do here, so you need to be well prepared and organized if you do not want to waste too much time. But overall, the vibe in this city is very relaxed and laid back, so do not be surprised if you fall into George's mood and move from attraction to attraction at a very relaxed and slower pace. One thing is for sure, you will definitely find something for you here in George, just buckle up and ride safe!
Basic info and car hire in George
- Location: Cape Province, South Africa
- Population: 157,394
- Official language: Ndebele, Pedi, Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu and Afrikaans. Another official language is English, which is the primary language used in parliamentary and state discourse.
- Currency: South African Rand
- Weather: George has an oceanic climate
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Most roads in George are in good condition.
- Car hire in George: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in George is at the George Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in George!
Driving in George
Renting a car is the best solution in George if you want to explore the city and its surroundings properly. The roads here are in good condition, well-maintained and visibly signposted. It is quite easy to find your way around George and its surroundings. Traffic in the city is very light when compared to large African cities. There are not many traffic jams and by car you can get around the city quite quickly. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you have to find a suitable parking place in George. In general, in South Africa, it is a good idea to always park your car in visible public places. This is mainly due to safety. Overall, the roads here are quite similar to those in Europe, as are the traffic rules. All you need to do to avoid problems while driving in South Africa is to follow the traffic rules and obey the signs.
The infrastructure is well maintained and the views are breathtaking, so you can expect a great travel experience when driving through George. But of course, not all roads are perfect and if you want to explore more rural areas and villages, you should expect that roads are not as well maintained and signage is not as visible and frequent as in larger cities and on main roads.
It is also important to be extra careful when travelling in South Africa, as there are often wild animals on the road. In larger cities there are also many pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, etc., so you should also be careful here.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car is 18 years old and you need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years. You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. It is possible that some suppliers have a policy that anyone under the age of 23 is not eligible for vehicle hire.
- International Driving Permit: If your driving license is not issued in English, you need to provide an official translation or have an International Driving Permit (IDP). You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
- Additional papers: A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.Identification(passport or ID), and valid proof of insurance. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (which are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), and 2 warnings triangles, First aid kit, fire extinguisher.
- Children in the car: In South Africa, it is illegal to travel in a car with a child under 3 years old not strapped into an approved child safety seat. Children must not sit in the front of a car without a suitable restraint system. Up to three years old they can sit in a rear-facing child seat where the airbag is disabled. Up to twelve years old they must sit in the rear of the car with an appropriate booster seat. Ask when booking for a suitable system to be included when you collect your hire car.
- Driving side of the road: Left-hand
- Lights: You must turn your lights on any time you can't see at least 1000 feet ahead. Use your low beam headlights whenever it is raining.
- General speed limits: Speeding is taken seriously in South Africa. There are speed cameras in most towns and cities as well as on the outskirts of urban areas. Speed limits in the city are 60 km/h (37 mph), on rural roads 100km/h, and on the highways 120 km/h (74 mph), road signs alert drivers if the limit in a particular area is different from this.
Car Hire in George
Most popular car hire at George
The most selected hire car in George is the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Opel Corsa. Renault Captur is also being a popular option. The most popular car types in George are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from George
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of George. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the South Africa.
George-Mossel Bay (45km with approximately 30 minutes of drive)
George-Knysna (62km with approximately 50 minutes of drive)
George-Port Elizabeth (324km with approximately 4 hours of drive)
George-Cape Town (428km with approximately 5 hours of drive)
Popular day trips from George
Mossel Bay, Great Karroo Plateau, Karoo National Park, Outeniqua Mountains, Garden Route National Park, Tsitsikamma Wolf Sanctuary, Stormsrivier, Nature's Valley, Tsitsikamma National Park, Storms River Mouth, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna, Sedgefield...
What to see in George
George is a city with many faces. There is something to discover here for every kind of tourist and traveller. From wonderful natural beauty to great historical, cultural and religious sites. It's up to you what kind of vacation you prefer, but one thing is for sure, you will find something for you in George.
The Outeniqua Transport Museum is located in an old railroad station and in different sections of this great museum you can see a great collection of old cars, trucks, motorcycles, old steam locomotives, etc.
Montagu Pass is another great adventure for those who like different types of poles and landscapes. It is 8 kilometres long and replaces the old Cradock Pass.
The Outeniqua Power Van is another great experience not to be missed here in George. You will see the beauties of the Outeniqua Mountains with many different species of animals and breathtaking nature.
When you come to George, you should not miss Victoria Bay. It is a paradise for surfers, but not only for surfers because there is something for everyone here. On the beach, there are many facilities for families with children of all ages. So, if you are here in the summer, do not miss the opportunity to visit Victoria Bay. It is the smallest bay on the Garden Route, but it is undoubtedly the most beautiful and also the most popular and visited.
Other places you should visit in George are The Seven Passes Drive, Outeniqua Pass, Wilderness Beach, George Botanical Garden, St Mark’s Cathedral, Red Berry Farm and Tea Garden, and The Country Garden Guest Farm (Beecatcher Guest Farm), Klein Karoo Wine Route...
Drive your rental car beyond George
South Africa is officially called the Republic of South Africa. This huge country is 23rd on the list of the most populous nations in the world. The interesting thing about South Africa is that it has three capitals. The executive, judicial and legislative branches are based in Pretoria, Bloemfontein and Cape Town respectively. The largest city in the country is Johannesburg.
If you are planning a road trip through South Africa, you can be sure that a fantastic experience awaits you. There are so many fabulous destinations for a road trip here in this country and there are also some spectacular roads that you will experience while driving through South Africa. The most famous of these is the Garden Route, which stretches between Mossel Bay in the west and Storms River in the east. It is about 200 kilometres long and offers an unforgettable experience with its many rivers, lakes, the sea, mountains, forests and much more.
South Africa is known for the many different things you can see and do here. The country is probably best known for its amazing landscapes, diverse and unique wildlife, vibrant cities and unique culture. But in recent years, South Africa has seen significant growth in many different areas of tourism. For example, there are some world-famous wineries here that are also fantastic tourist attractions.
When in Southern Africa, be sure to visit one of the many safari parks that exist throughout the country. You can learn a lot when visiting these parks, especially about wildlife conservation, which is also very important. There are hundreds of national parks in South Africa and you should definitely visit at least one of them. A stay here in the midst of wild animals is a very special experience. The nights in these parks are especially entertaining and unique. This is an experience you will never forget in your life. The most famous safari park in the country is Kruger National Park, which is home to incredible diversity and tons of amazing wildlife, including the "Big Five" (lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and Cape buffalo). But of course, there are many more parks in the country, here are some of them: Hluhluwe and iMfolozi National Park - It is located in the east of the country and is known for its rhino populations. Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - It is located on the border with Botswana in the north and is known for its black-maned lions. Addo Elephant National Park - Located near Port Elizabeth on the south coast, this is a good choice for safaris on your own. Pilanesburg National Park & Game Reserve - Home to the Big 5, the park can be visited on a day trip from Johannesburg if you are short on time.
But there is another fantastic option for wildlife lovers. You can go whale watching, as South Africa is considered one of the best places for this kind of activity. The best time for whale watching is from June to November. There are several companies that offer and organize whale watching tours. The best and most reliable ones are Southern Right Charters, Hermanus Whale Cruises and Xplora Tours. Another nice activity you can do here is, of course, scuba diving. There are several centres for this sport spread all over South Africa. It is a great place both for beginners, who can take various courses here and for the more experienced divers, who will find some fantastic dive sites here.
For those who prefer a more active vacation, there are plenty of options here in South Africa. One of the most popular options is undoubtedly surfing. There are many fantastic beaches for surfing in both the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, providing endless opportunities for surfers from all over the world. The most popular destination for surfers is Jeffrey's Bay, located on the south coast near Port Elizabeth. Other famous places for surfing are Dungeons, Long Beach, Durban...
If you are not interested in surfing, then you should look for an activity in the Drakensberg region. The Drakensberg is the highest mountain range in South Africa and there are numerous opportunities for hiking, climbing, mountain biking, trekking, etc. Some of the best places in the Drakensberg are Rainbow Gorge: An easy and beautiful two-hour hiking trail in the Cathedral Peak area. Plowman's Kop: A half-day hike with a steep climb. Chain Ladders Hike: A challenging one-day hike with ladders attached to the rock wall. Cathedral Peak: This hike is best climbed with a guide. Giant's Cup Trail: Usually a five-day hike.
Where to eat, drink, and party in George
The culinary arts in George, as in many African cities, are of a very high standard. The special thing about the cuisine here is that many local ingredients are used. This is mainly due to the good climate and fertile soil in this area. In George, you can enjoy different types of cuisine. For example, you can get great street food, but on the other hand, there are also many great restaurants with very different menus, from traditional African cuisine to modern African cuisine and of course with menus from all over the world.
Best restaurant in George
101 Meade Street Restaurant
The Fat Fish
The Hussar Grill George
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in South Africa?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in South Africa?
The minimum age to rent a car for Economy groups are 19 years old renters. For Compact, Intermediate car groups are available for 21 years old renters. Full-size vans and standard car Groups are available for 25 years old renters. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 21 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in South Africa?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in South Africa with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurance in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in South Africa?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in South Africa?
If your driver's license is not issued in English, you need to provide an official translation or have an International Driving Permit (IDP). You are required by law to carry your Drivers Licence when driving.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in South Africa?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in South Africa?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Hyundai I10 and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in South Africa?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Hertz, Firefly, Europcar and Keddy.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in South Africa?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai i20, Toyota, and Kia Picanto.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in South Africa?
Most car rentals in South Africa offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In George
Best of South Africa