Car Hire in El Hierro
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in El Hierro
About El Hierro
El Hierro is the smallest and most southerly of the Canary Islands and the youngest. It has an area of 431 square kilometres (about 166 square miles) and a population of 10,000. There are three towns on El Hierro: Valverde, the capital, Frontera and La Restinga. The coast has many volcanic formations.
The history of El Hierro is like that of the other Canary Islands. There was a prehistoric settlement from around 2000 BC, and around 100 AD there was a Phoenician-Punic culture. The island then became Carthaginian, Greek and finally Roman again. In the 8th century, after the Moorish conquest, El Hierro had to endure tribal wars and Moorish raids.
Basic info and car hire in El Hierro
- Location: Canary Islands
- Population: 11.154 (2019)
- Official language: Spanish
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: El Hierro is one of the wettest Canary Islands with an annual rainfall of more than 3500 mm. The rainfall in La Frontera, the capital, is between 1,500 and 2,000 mm. Rainfall on El Hierro shows a bimodal pattern: there are two maxima throughout the year, in spring and autumn, and a minimum in summer. In autumn, when hurricanes or tropical storms move from Africa to Europe, precipitation is at its highest.
- Internet coverage: Most hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in El Hierro are in general very good and well maintained.
- Car hire in El Hierro: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in El Hierro is at the airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices, so it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate!
Driving in El Hierro
Driving on El Hierro is not for the faint-hearted, as the roads are unsystematic and lack signage. There are only two main roads, but they are not well signposted and local drivers are likely to take you in the wrong direction. Many roads in Valverde and San Andres have no names or numbers and most roads are single lanes. Slow down and be prepared to stop frequently to wait for oncoming traffic, as the road is often just enough for two cars.
It takes about 60 minutes to drive around the island without stopping. There is an excellent bus service that you can board in any of the major towns. The most popular tourist destination is the Mirador del Río.
There is a zero drink-driving policy in El Hierro. The maximum alcohol level in the blood can be 0.05% (BAC) which is lower than in the UK. And the police do have regular checks so it's good to keep in mind.
- Age limits: The minimum age to hire a car in El Hierro is 21 years of age. The driver must also have held the license for a minimum of 1 year.
- International Driving Permit: If you have a driving license outside the EU and UK, you will need International Driving Permit.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance with Orbit Car Hire in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in El Hierro)
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle. First aid kit (not compulsory, but we strongly recommend you have it with you, just in case).
- Children in the car: All occupants must wear seat belts. Children under 18KG in weight must be in child seats and those who are 135CM tall or shorter should stay behind the driver on a booster cushion for safety's sake!
- Driving side of the road: Right Side.
- Lights: When it rains and during nighttime.
- General speed limits: 100km/h on motorways and 40km/h in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions:
Car Hire in El Hierro
Most popular car hire at El Hierro
The most selected hire car in El Hierro is the Nissan Micra, with and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in El Hierro are mini and economy cars.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from El Hierro
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of El Hierro. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Canary Islands.
What to see in El Hierro
The island of El Hierro is the smallest of all the Canary Islands and is known for its ecological value. Everywhere on the island, you can see unique plants that exist nowhere else in the world, such as the "Romero de las Indias" (Erio moschata).
The island has several white-sand beaches, like "Las Salinas" in the south of the island or "Playa de la Laja" in Valverde. Moreover, many people come to El Hierro to practise sports such as snorkelling and diving thanks to the beautiful coasts.
The island is a tourist destination, but it has kept its "Canarian" authenticity. Therefore, the people who live there are incredibly friendly and you will easily be able to get in touch with them.
Places like Valverde, the town of Morro Jable, are very touristy areas of the island because of their restaurants and hotels.
Another great thing about El Hierro is that there is a lot of cultural heritage, like the windmills in Frontera or the Celtic cave paintings in Boca de Jaruco.
Where to eat, drink, and party in El Hierro
El Hierro, the smallest of the Canary Islands, is not known for its gastronomy. Its cuisine is based on seasonal products and traditional recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. The island has just over 10,000 inhabitants who live from agriculture, fishing and tourism. It is worth mentioning that it is one of the few places in Europe where you can still eat wild boar and mountain goat.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in the Canary Islands?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in the Canary Islands with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in the Canary Islands?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in the Canary Islands?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in the Canary Islands?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as VW Up, Fiat 500, and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in the Canary Islands?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, GoldCar and Centauro.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in the Canary Islands?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are VW Up, Fiat Panda, VW Polo, Nissan Micra, Fiat 500.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in the Canary Islands?
Most car hires in the Canary Islands offer unlimited mileage in their offers
Car Hire Locations in El Hierro 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In El Hierro
Best of Canary islands