Car Hire in La Palma
Find your rental car in La Palma
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in La Palma
About La Palma
La Palma is a beautiful island of the Canary archipelago. It is a beautiful place with many nice places to visit and very good weather for a holiday all year round. Like any Canary Island, it has some beautiful natural features such as volcanoes, lighthouses and more. As one of the oldest islands (it was only discovered in 1402), it also has some historical buildings like churches or castles that tourists can visit. Many people come here to enjoy the beautiful weather on the beaches.
Basic info and car hire in La Palma
- Location: Canary Islands
- Official language: Spanish
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: The weather in Fuerteventura is very convenient. The coldest month, January is an average of 17°C and the warmest is August with 25°C. The best time to visit is in the spring/autumn when the temperature is mild around 20°C.
- Internet coverage: Most hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Roads are generally in good condition and easy to drive.
- Car hire in La Palma: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in La Palma is at the airport. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices, so it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate!
Driving in La Palma
The roads are narrow and winding, and one-way streets also run through the villages themselves. There is also a certain speed limit within the villages. Driving at night can be difficult as most street lights are decorative or non-existent in some towns and villages.
The main routes are well signposted. The maximum alcohol level in the blood can be 0.05% (BAC) which is lower than in the UK. The speed limit is 100km/h on motorways and 40km/h in residential areas. Signs for speed limits are well visible and easy to understand.
- Age limits: The minimum age to hire a car in Fuerteventura is 21 years of age. The driver must also have held the license for a minimum of 1 year.
- International Driving Permit: If you have a driving license outside the EU and UK, you will need International Driving Permit.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance with Orbit Car Hire in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in La Palma)
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle. First aid kit (not compulsory, but we strongly recommend you have it with you, just in case).
- Children in the car: All occupants must wear seat belts. Children under 18KG in weight must be in child seats and those who are 135CM tall or shorter should stay behind the driver on a booster cushion for safety's sake!
- Driving side of the road: Right Side.
- Lights: When it rains and during nighttime.
- General speed limits: 100km/h on motorways and 40km/h in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is free and most often you will find enough of them at the tourist attractions. Parking in the towns has to be paid for. You should always find parking spots in the towns without too much trouble.
Car Hire in La Palma
Most popular car hire at La Palma
The most selected hire car in La Palma is the Toyota Aygo, with the Nissan Micra and Seat Ibiza also being a popular option. The most popular car types in La Palma are mini and economy car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from La Palma
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of La Palma. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Canary Islands.
What to see in La Palma
La Palma has many things to do and see. They have some great beaches that are ideal for those wanting to relax and sunbathe as well as have some fun in the warm ocean. La Palma also has some great hiking paths, for beginners up to experts. Hiring a car in La Palma is a great idea to explore all of what the Island has to offer.
Where to eat, drink, and party in La Palma
There are many places of interest for tourists visiting the island of La Palma, including many great places for good food. A good place to eat on La Palma is a "pulperia", a grocery shop with an attached dining and seating area. The restaurants in these grocery shops serve authentic Canarian dishes from Spanish cuisines such as papas arrugadas and huevos rotos and also local seafood such as tuna salad or calamari en su Tinta. If you visit the beautiful town of Tazacorte, you should also try a delicious seafood paella at Bodega El Faro, which offers a magnificent view of the town, its church and the surrounding mountains.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in the Canary Islands?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in the Canary Islands with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in the Canary Islands?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in the Canary Islands?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in the Canary Islands?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as VW Up, Fiat 500, and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in the Canary Islands?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, GoldCar and Centauro.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in the Canary Islands?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are VW Up, Fiat Panda, VW Polo, Nissan Micra, Fiat 500.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in the Canary Islands?
Most car hires in the Canary Islands offer unlimited mileage in their offers
Car Hire Locations in La Palma 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In La Palma
Best of Canary islands