Car Hire in Tenerife
Find your car rental
Tenerife is the largest of the seven Canary Islands and attracts thousands of mainly English and German tourists. The island of Tenerife has two significant airports, Tenerife South and Tenerife North. This Spanish peninsula in the Atlantic Ocean is known for its spectacular beaches and otherworldly beauty. The island receives around 5 million visitors each year, and most opt for the south of the island to enjoy the - more or less - constant T-shirt weather.
We're guessing you've come to Tenerife for the sunshine, so we recommend chilling out for the first few days. The golden sands at Playa de la Americas are perfect for that. If you want to get active there, you can try just about any water sport you can imagen. A 10-minute drive north is Playa del Duque, another great beach to visit, at Costa Adeje. The entire area of Costa Adeje is an exclusive resort. For a different swimming experience, travel to the north or west of the island and discover the beautiful black beaches. Los Gigantes, nestled between cliffs, is always a good idea.
Another good idea is hiring a car in Tenerife. This way, you can explore and discover the island comfortably and at your own pace. With tourism in full swing, you will notice there is a lot to choose from regarding rentals, but you may want to move fast if you find a great car hire deal.
Basic info and car hire in Tenerife
- Location: Canary Islands
- Population: 949,471 (2019)
- Official language: Spanish
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: The weather in Tenerife is very convenient. The coldest month, January is an average of 17°C and the warmest is August with 25°C. The best time to visit is in the spring/autumn when the temperature is mild around 20°C.
- Holidays in Tenerife: For all public holidays in Tenerife, you can read more here.
- Internet coverage: Most hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Lanzarote are generally very good. Most of the roads are one-lane roads. If you go on unpaved roads, you might find them to be bumpy, but nothing extreme.
- Car hire in Lanzarote: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Tenerife is at the airport both North and South. There are many different car rental companies available and they all offer competitive prices, so it's best to book a car three or eight weeks ahead of time - this will ensure you get an affordable rate! Alternatively, if your travel plans change last minute there are plenty around who can help out as well; just look no further than us here at Orbit Car Hire
Driving in Tenerife
If you're planning on hiring a car in Tenerife, you will most likely get a manual one. There are plenty of car hire companies, such as Sixt, Europcar, Enterprise and others. As for driving, there are a few things you should know. Always watch the road, as local drivers tend to slam on the brakes and stop for a chat. Roundabouts are another feature there - enter the roundabout in an anti-clockwise direction.
Remember that the locals will only use the outer lane in a two-lane roundabout, whether they take the first or the last exit. It is advisable to rent a smaller vehicle so that you can manoeuvre it quickly, and thus park in small parking lots along the roads. Before you drive off from the car rental, make sure that the parking brake on your rental car is working because some streets are uphill. You will want your vehicle to stop while you explore the area.
Remember that the maximum BAC is 0.05% for drivers of private vehicles. There is a zero-tolerance law for young drivers or drivers who are 21 years old or younger. Finally, the best time to visit Tenerife (weather-wise) is during the high season (from November to March). If you prefer an even warmer climate, you can always travel there in May, June, or July. Age limits: 21 (minimum age may vary depending on the car hire company. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a driver's licence for a minimum of one year).
- Age limits: The minimum age to hire a car in Tenerife is 21 years of age. The driver must also have held the license for a minimum of 1 year.
- International Driving Permit: If you have a driving license outside the EU and UK, you will need International Driving Permit.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance with Orbit Car Hire in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Croatia)
- Additional requirements: Warning triangle. First aid kit (not compulsory, but we strongly recommend you have it with you, just in case).
- Children in the car: All occupants must wear seat belts. Children under 18KG in weight must be in child seats and those who are 135CM tall or shorter should stay behind the driver on a booster cushion for safety's sake!
- Driving side of the road: Right Side.
- Lights: You may think that the rainy days in Tenerife are few and far between, but when it rains even for just an hour or two you should turn your headlights on.
- General speed limits: 100km/h on motorways and 40km/h in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is free and most often you will find enough of them at the tourist attractions. Parking in the towns has to be paid for but you can find free parking as well. You should always find parking spots in the towns without too much trouble.
Reasons to rent a car in Tenerife
- Hiring a car in Tenerife is the best way to visit all its beaches and towns as well as historical monuments.
- Hiring a car is beneficial especially if you want to go on day trips like visiting other towns and cities.
- Hiring a car in Tenerife is the best way to get around and see everything this wonderful island has to offer from the beaches to historical monuments.
Compare cheap car hire in Tenerife
- We compare all the major and best local companies in Tenerife
- You can find cheap deals down to £2 per day depending on the season.
- Trusted partners with real bargain offers
- It can be important to choose your vehicle carefully in terms of seats and luggage size. Think carefully about what type of road trips you want to drive.
- It's a great idea to book extras in advance so that your rental car is ready to go when you pick it up. You can add things like child seats or a sat nav when you book through Orbit Car Hire.
What to see in Tenerife
There is a lot to discover in Tenerife, so it depends on your preferences. Tenerife will not disappoint whether you prefer an active holiday or a relaxing stay on the island; Tenerife will not disappoint. As mentioned above, car hire in Tenerife is highly recommended as it is practical, convenient and inexpensive. It is also the best way to soak up all the sights and experience the dramatic landscapes.
Drive around and find your favourite beach
Beaches are coastal areas on the island of Tenerife that include natural and artificial places where you can swim, sunbathe or surf. These areas include inlets, bays, sandy beaches in curves that form capitals or peninsulas, among others. Their location in the Canary Islands makes them an ideal place for a family holiday.
The beaches of this island are one of the main attractions for tourists due to their beauty and variety of landscapes. For example, Playa de las Vistas (Beach View) is a small cove of white sand surrounded by cliffs; El Medano (The Sand) is a large beach that has developed in recent decades thanks to the tourists who visit it every year; Costa del Silencio (Coast of Silence) is a modern and cosy beach with restaurants on its grounds, located next to the cliffs of Los Gigantes; Playa Martiánez is a medium-sized cove that has been awarded for its development as a tourist area. There are also beaches in the south of Tenerife, such as Garachico or Icod de Los Vinos.
The parking is always free on Tenerife island - that is why car rentals are very practical because you can leave the car in one of the many free parking spots. For ease of mind, we recommend attaching the excess recovery product to your booking at Orbit car hire.
Car hire in Tenerife
Most popular car hire in Tenerife
The most selected hire car in Tenerife is the Smart ForFour, with the Fiat 500 and Volkswagen Polo also being a popular options. The most popular car type in Tenerife is the mini and economy category. As it is great to drive the narrow streets inside the towns and fuel-efficient for those longer drives around the Island.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Tenerife
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Tenerife. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Canary Islands.
Where to eat, drink and party in Tenerife.
The cuisine of the Canary Islands is a mixture of Spanish, Latin American, and African cuisine. It consists of vegetables, fruits, and fish. Meals are generally light and therefore easily digestible in a warm climate. The traditional dishes are Papas Arrugadas, potatoes with sauces, and the fish dishes are called caldereta and Sancocho Canario with sauces. You will also find many stews, soups, and grilled fish dishes. If you are vegetarian, order a warm pot of chickpeas known as potaje de berros. Try the delicious dessert bienmesabe, a honey, eggs, rum, and almond cream. For a complete meal, order a glass of light, fruity white wine called Brumas de Ayosa. Great restaurants are on every corner, with Costa Adeje being known for its impeccable seafood restaurants. Those looking for a lively night out should head to the island's south - Playa de Las Americas is lined with clubs and bars. Another great option is Santa Cruz.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in the Canary Islands?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in the Canary Islands with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in the Canary Islands?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in the Canary Islands?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in the Canary Islands?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as VW Up, Fiat 500, and Fiat Panda often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in the Canary Islands?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, GoldCar and Centauro.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in the Canary Islands?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are VW Up, Fiat Panda, VW Polo, Nissan Micra, Fiat 500.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I rent a car in the Canary Islands?
Most car hires in the Canary Islands offer unlimited mileage in their offers
Car Hire Locations in Tenerife 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Tenerife
Best of Canary islands