Car hire in Bordeaux
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals in Bordeaux
Bordeaux is a port city in southwestern France, the capital of the Aquitaine region, and the fifth largest centre among all French cities. It is considered a very pleasant, quiet and beautiful place for tourists. And this place offers a wide range of interesting places to visit.
The most important and famous thing about Bordeaux is undoubtedly the legendary wine that is produced here. There are many vineyards and wineries around the city. You can visit some of them for free, and there are often organized wine tastings. And in the city itself, the various mass festivals associated with this drink are not uncommon. Bordeaux also has historical monuments, museums, and incredibly beautiful architectural buildings to offer.
Basic info and car hire in Bordeaux
- Location: The capital of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region
- Population: 257,804 (2019)
- Official language: French
- Currency: Euro ( EUR)
- Weather: Suboceanic with Mediterranean influences. Winters are mostly mild and rainy, while summers are warm and mostly sunny.
- Holidays in Bordeaux: Bordeaux is one of the centres of gastronomy tourism and business tourism for the organization of internal congresses.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Across most of France, the roads are in excellent condition.
- Car hire in Bordeaux: Renting a car at Bordeaux Airport or Bordeaux Railway Station at Orbit Car Hire gives you a lot of freedom to travel throughout France at your own pace. With a wide selection of vehicles, you can be sure to find the vehicle that suits your needs and will benefit you the most on your trip.
Driving in Bordeaux
Explore the famous wine region of Bordeaux, where you can enjoy wine tastings at places like is the vineyards of Médoc or St. Emilion and visit the beautiful Jardin Public Gardens, which meanders along the river docks with 11 acres of trees, flowers, ponds, and wildlife, or the beautiful Three Graces Fountain.
Bordeaux is a major road and motorway junction. The city is connected to Paris by the A10 motorway and there is a 45 km bypass, the "Rocade", which is often very busy. Bordeaux has five road bridges crossing the Garonne River and all five road bridges, including the two motorway bridges, are also accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
When you Driving in Bordeaux and the rest of France in the summertime can be a bit busy due to increased traffic due to a high season.
- Age limits: The age limit is 21 to 25 years, depending on the car rental agency. Many of the agencies either charge a fee for young drivers fee if you are under this age, or do not allow you to rent the car at all.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in France).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 80 mph / 130kph on the Motorways, 49 mph / 80 kph Main roads Outside Built-up Areas, and 31 mph/50 kph within Built-up Areas.
- Parking suggestions: Mostly all parking lots are chargeable where the average price per hour is around GBP 1,90/ € 2.20.
What to see in Bordeaux
Bordeaux is an incredibly beautiful city with many historical and architectural monuments. The climate in Bordeaux is quite warm, temperate, and friendly. And the city itself is happy for every tourist and guest. Besides, there are many amazing places in Bordeaux and many incredibly beautiful buildings that are worth visiting. Wine holiday? Oh, yes. That's it! Bordeaux is located in the southwestern part of France, along the Garonne River. The elegant rural area is known for five grape varieties: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec. We recommend you start your journey in Médoc and continue through the region from there. You will not regret it!
Here are some suggestions worth visiting:
- Les Quais - Ideal for a nice walk along the Garonne coast, enjoy the ferry ride, the view of the breathtaking scenery over the bridges of Bordeaux.
- Lift bridge Jacques Chaban - Delmas Located between the "Qais" and the "Aquitaine Bridge". It is a drawbridge that is up to 53 meters high. It thus allows passenger ships and historic sailing boats to dock near Quinconces Square.
- Quinconces Square - Check out Girondin's Fountain and the monument dedicated to the civic members of the National Assembly during the French Revolution.
Drive your rental car beyond Bordeaux
Bordeaux a great city, but it is also close to other destinations that could make your vacation even more memorable. Carcassonne dominates the entire city, which is a castle in La Cité, a medieval fortified upper town. Montségur is almost cult and attracts lovers of Cathar history, mountaineers, and lovers of charming little French villages. There is no train station in Montségur, but you can rent a car and drive there in about 1.5 hours. To the northeast, Albi has an outstanding Episcopal centre that is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Enjoy the culture in Bordeaux
Where to eat, drink, and party in Bordeaux
Gastronomy has a very important place in the city, which is full of restaurants of all kinds. French restaurants serve dishes from almost every part of the country. There are also many Asian, African, and Arabic restaurants.
Bordeaux is alive day and night. If you are looking for a bar to hang out with friends or watch a football game, head to La Victoire. This is where most of the pubs and bars in the city are located. Almost all of the businesses in this area are bars, and you are sure to find one that suits your needs.
If you prefer dancing or going to a club, most of the nightclubs are located on the Qais, near the train station. From rock to disco, dance techno... there are many options.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in France?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in France?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old but drivers with this age can rent only Mini and Economy Car Categories. Renters aged 25 and older may rent all Car Categories. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in France?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in France with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in France?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in France?
Drivers license issued in France or within the European Union does not have to provide an international drivers license. For drivers with a license issued outside of the EU will need to have an international driving license as well as your standard driving license. You must have both licenses with you at all times while driving a car in France.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in France?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in France?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Renault Twingo and Citroen C3 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in France?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise Rent a Car, Keddy by Europcar, Alamo Rent a Car, and GoldCar.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in France?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Citroen C3, Renault Twingo, Peugeot 308, Toyota Yaris.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for France?
Most car rentals in France offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
How to hire a car in France?
You can hire a car in France with Orbit Car Hire in simple steps. First, you define where you would like to pick up and return the car, enter dates and times and you can search for your cheap France car hire.
How much is it to rent a car in France?
It will depend on where in France you would like to rent a car and at what period. The summer months can be more expensive than during the winter. You can find prices down to 12 GBP per day.
Can you rent an automatic car in France?
Yes, you can find a wide range of automatic rental cars in France. The best way to find your automatic car hire in France is to filter the "Automatic" transmission when searching for your vehicle.
Can I rent a car in France?
Yes, you can rent a car in France in simple steps with Orbit Car Hire. You just need to be over 21 years of age and have held the driving license for a minimum of one year (This can depend on the car hire companies)
Car Hire Locations in Bordeaux 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Bordeaux
Best of France