Car Hire in Nice
Find your car hire
Nice offers a perfect blend of an exciting seaside resort and the richness of a cosmopolitan European city. And if you want to experience the distinct bliss of the French Riviera, a vacation in the greatest city in the world, Nice, is for you.
It offers a mild Mediterranean climate, a colourful culture, a lively old town, and an immaculate coastline with great hotels. This city in southeastern France has been a popular tourist destination since the 18th century. Nice's intense light, captivating architectural structures, and imaginative market centres have long attracted artists from around the world. Artists such as Matisse and Chagall have witnessed Nice's artistic fame. As an art and history lover, you'll be spoilt for choice here, as no other French city has more museums.
Nice is a major air hub in Europe. Many budget airlines offer flights to the airport on the Côte d'Azur from London, Paris, and elsewhere. There are also fast train services from Paris to Nice. Public transport in the city includes a tram system, a transit service, and a ferry service. There is a wide range of hotel accommodation in and around Nice, from budget hotels to luxury resorts by the sea.
Despite its distinct historical profile, dating back to the 4th century BC, the city does not appear to have lost its modernism. Efforts have been made to modernize the city's infrastructure.
Basic info and car hire in Nice
- Location: The city of Nice is located on the French Riviera and is the second-largest city in France on the Mediterranean coast.
- Population: 942.000 (2020 )
- Official language: French is the official language in Nice.
- Currency: Euro (€).
- Weather: Nice has a Mediterranean climate, where summers are hot and mild winters.
- Holidays in Nice: Nice is the largest city on French Riviera and a very popular tourist destination because of its climate and beautiful architecture.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Major roads are in good condition, while some secondary roads are worse for wear.
- Car hire in Nice: The most common pick-up point for vehicles is the Nice Côte d'Azur Airport or simply Nice Airport. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Nice!
Driving in Nice
There are three major French roads in France: Autoroutes, National Roads and departmental roads. Autoroutes is the fastest option and in English, this road is called a highway, motorway,y or freeway depending on where you are coming from. Department roads is a good choice if you are not in a hurry and also want to enjoy scenic routes. It's a good choice for exploring new towns along the way and getting a glimpse of the vast French countryside, as this road mostly passes through towns and villages. National roads are the usual shortest routes between major centres such as ports, cities, and airports.
The best time to visit Nice is in the spring and summer. This is mainly due to the weather, but also because the city becomes more lively at this time of year.
- Age limits: 21 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU license holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in France).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, reflective vests, spare wheel, spare light bulbs are required as well as a hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or shorter than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat if they are in a secured, rear-facing children’s seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on while in a tunnel or during conditions of poor visibility.
- General speed limits: The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h (31 mph), on main roads its 80 km/h (50 mph), on motorways without tolls the limit is 110 km/h (68 mph), and on toll motorways its 130 km/h (80 mph).
- Parking suggestions: Parking in the centre of Nice is metered everywhere from 9 am to 8 pm Monday to Saturday. However, please note that you can park in these zones for 30 minutes for free. There are also some free parking zones with no time limit. So use them if possible to avoid spending your money on parking fees.
What to see in Nice
There is much to see in Nice! Parallel to the coast stretches the famous English Promenade, 5 km long, to which Nice "owes" its fame and popularity. This phenomenal, recognizable avenue runs along the entire Gulf of Nice. It is hard to imagine that such a boulevard was originally only 2 m wide. The most famous building on the promenade is the Grand Hotel "Negresko" 5 *, built in 1912. It was included in the list of historical monuments of the city in 1974. Museum of Contemporary Art - the pride of the city of Nice, between the bus station and the Acropolis. Museum Massena (Museum of Art and History) - on the corner of English Promenade and France Street. The opposite is a part of the coast - Blue Beach. Casino RUHL from 1884 - on Av. de Verdun towards Massena Square. Marble Cross (La Croix du Marbre) - between the city centre and the English Promenade. Alberta, I Park - The oldest park in the centre of Nice. The centre of Nice is marked by a large "Sun Fountain", opposite Massena Square. Masen Square - All the major boulevards start from it. The square is reminiscent of northern Italian cities. It is the centre of city life and the place where the carnival is held. The square is recognizable by its red buildings. Massena Park - It was opened to the public in 1983. In this part is the Clock Tower, the tower of St. Francisca. Hum Castle - a 92 m high hill overlooking the old town. A beautiful park with a viewpoint, waterfalls, green areas, walking trails ... On it are the remains of a castle from the time of Greek settlement in the area. Belanda Tower (La Tour Bellanda) - at the foot of Hum Castle, near the old town of Nice. It was built in 1830 as a military facility and today the Nice Maritime Museum is located at this site, on the 214th step to the top of Castle Hill. It is equipped with a telescope for astronomical observations. A neighbourhood of narrow and winding streets, full of restaurants and cafes. This part of the city is home to a poorer world, mainly employed in the hotel and port industry.
Drive your rental car beyond Nice
Nice lies at the heart of a fascinating world that combines magic and the picturesque, legend and authenticity. The fantasy of Cannes contrasts with the pristine grandeur of the Esterel Massif or the serenity of the Lérins Islands. Move away from the coast to travel back in time along the route of the old villages. The narrow streets of Biot and Valbonne and the ramparts of Saint-Paul -de-Vence, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, or Eze-Village will take you back to the heart of the Middle Ages. Haut-de-Cagnes, old Vence, Mougins and Vallauris offer you the light and colours of Renoir, Soutine, Matisse and Picasso.
Nice is the ideal starting point to visit this legendary area where all outdoor activities are easily accessible: Dive with dolphins, soar over the void on a 'via Ferrata, bungee jump at the Pont de la Mariée, meet wolves in the Mercantour, observe protected species, explore the rich heritage of the hinterland.
The Nice metropolitan area offers everyone the opportunity to make dreams come true.
Enjoy the culture in Nice
Where to eat, drink and party in Nice
Cours Saleya and the surrounding streets are full of small restaurants. Every day at noon the town cannon announces that it is time for lunch. The restaurants among the stalls of fruit, vegetables, and fish offer a variety of menus, but of course, the atmosphere of the French market and the Provençal vivacity are unsurpassed. Chez Theresa is the best place for the traditional pancake, and for fish specialities, visit L'Embarcadere. Le 22 September is a popular hangout for young people.Le Karr res, restaurant, and bar. The right choice for vegetarians is the restaurant La Zucca Magica.
During your stay in Nice you simply must try a local dish:
Pisadaladière It is a dish made of onions and sardines.
Socca is a kind of pancake made of chickpea flour, richly seasoned with pepper - but you still have to eat it hot and with your fingers; it reminds a bit of pizza.
Farcis niçois is a dish of vegetables stuffed with breadcrumbs and a salad of Nice (tomato salad with green peppers, hard-boiled egg, tuna or sardines, and olives).
Wine and of course champagne are a must with any meal. Try the rose wine from the surrounding vineyards, and good food and drink of course include music from Edith Piaff.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has its security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you to need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid any surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
How do I get the cheapest car hire?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Alicante!
How many countries does Orbit Car Hire compare?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire you will pay the remaining balance in the currency that is in the country of pick up.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add an additional driver to my booking?
You can always add an additional driver to your booking when you are finding your deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add an additional driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted by Orbit Car Hire
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and you will see all the best deals for a one-way car hire.
Car Hire Locations in Nice 2 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Nice
Best of France