Car HIre in Akureyri
Find your car hire
Akureyri is one of the largest cities in Iceland. It is often known as the capital of the north. It is located in a fjord named Eyjafjörður that is in the northern part of Iceland. In the heart of the city, you'll see the church of Akureyri which has stained-glass windows portraying scenes from Icelandic Christian history. It is known for its stairway that counts in a total of 112 stairs to reach the church. Akureyri is rich with a culture where you can explore the Akureyri Art Museum, Akureyri Botanical Garden, or simply enjoy the amazing views of the mountains surrounding the fjord. Akureyri is also surrounded by some of the most amazing landscapes such as waterfalls, geothermal pools, and beautiful little villages which can be explored.
Exploring Akureyri is best done by foot, but if you want to explore all of what the northern part of Iceland has to offer recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Akureyri is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Akureyri
- Location: Eyjafjörður Fjord in northern Iceland
- Population: 18,191 (2019)
- Official language: Icelandic (English is widely spoken in Iceland)
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK)
- Weather: In Akureyri, they will have a warm summer with temperatures around 19 ° C / 66 ° F. The winter can be harsher with more snow than near the capital Reykjavík.
- Holidays in Akureyri: In June each year Akureyri hosts a weekend called Biladagar. It is a car show where you can go to a car exhibition, see races, drifts etc. You can also find a great festival called "Ein með öllu" at the first weekend of August. Many locals will travel north to Akureyri to enjoy the festival that hosts music, plays, Tivoli and many other great things.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road condition in Akureyri is mainly good. The roads in Iceland are in general narrow. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout. During the winter period, we strongly recommend a 4x4 vehicle.
- Car hire in Keflavik: You will only find the big worldwide car rental companies offering pickup and dropoff in Akureyri. Companies such as Europcar, Hertz, Avis and Budget. They have offices at Akureyri Airport, Akureyri downtown and Akureyri Port. So if you are visiting Akureyri by plane or with a cruise ship you can easily rent a car in Akureyri
Driving in Akureyri
There is one toll road in Iceland. It is located 14km / 8.6m north of Akureyri. The toll road is a tunnel that goes through the mountain, it is called Vaðlaheiðagöng. It is important to keep in mind that when driving through the tunnel, you will need to pay online and you only have 3 hours before or after going through to pay. If the tunnel is not paid, the rental company will receive the fine and charge at the end of the rental. Most car rentals will add a service fee to the charge. You can also drive over the mountain and skip the tunnel, this is the old road and it is only 15 km / 9m longer. The best part about the old road is that it is free of charge. Driving in Keflavik is quite straightforward, you are not allowed to turn right on a red light in Iceland. The maximum speed in the city is 50km / h and outside the city, it is 90km / h. You will find all the major gas stations as well as budget gas stations in Keflavik. You can always pay in the self-service machine with your credit card. However, if your credit card does not have a PIN you will not be able to use it in the self-service machines. If your credit card does not have a PIN, we recommend purchasing a prepaid fuel card at the N1 gas station.
The best time to visit Akureyri is during the summer months (June-August) while the temperature is at its highest and roads are easy to drive. During the wintertime it can be very snowy in Akureyri, so make sure to rent a 4x4 for your Akureyri drive.
- Age limits: 20 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Iceland).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 55 mph / 90 kph outside cities and 30 mph / 50 kph in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: You need to pay for parking downtown Akureyri on weekdays between 08: 00-18: 00.
What to see in Akureyri
There is much to see and do in Akureyri! It is considered by many locals to be one of their favourite towns in Iceland. In the heart of the city, you'll see the church of Akureyri which has stained-glass windows portraying scenes from Icelandic Christian history. It is known for its stairway that counts in a total of 112 stairs to reach the church. Akureyri is rich with a culture where you can explore the Akureyri Art Museum, Akureyri Botanical Garden, or simply enjoy the amazing views of the mountains surrounding the fjord. Akureyri is also surrounded by some of the most amazing landscapes such as waterfalls, geothermal pools, and beautiful little villages which can be explored. We recommend visiting the ice cream store called "Brynja" when you are in Akureyri, it is considered to be the best ice cream store in Iceland. Make sure to visit the Christmas house while you are in Akureyri, it will make you feel like it's Christmas in the middle of the summer!
Explore the north of Iceland
Drive your rental car beyond Akureyri
Akureyri is a stunning city, but it's also close to other destinations that could make your vacation even more unforgettable. Many worthwhile destinations can be easily reached by car, so if you haven't hired a vehicle yet, you might want to reconsider.
A short drive from Akureyri you will find the Diamond Ring. The first stop on the diamond ring is Goðafoss waterfall located right by road 1. From Goðafoss you go to Lake Mývatn, a must-stop for photo lovers. From Lake Mývatn, you go to Dettifoss waterfall, the most powerful waterfall in all of Europe. From Dettifoss you go to Ásbyrgi, also known as the shelter of the gods. From there you take the last stop at the famous town called Húsavík.
You can also head to Dalvik that is only 45km away from Akureyri. We recommend stopping at Haugsnes before you head to Dalvík and enjoy the hot tubs by the ocean. And Siglufjörður, one of the most beautiful towns of Iceland is only an hour away from Akureyri.
Enjoy the culture in Akureyri
Where to eat, drink and party in Akureyri
Akureyri has many wonderful restaurants and bars where you can enjoy a local meal or sit down for a drink on the main shopping street. We recommend you to visit restaurants such as Strikið, Rub23, Bryggjan, Bautinn or Greifinn restaurant. There are also great bars such as Ölstofa Akureyrar, Mulaberg Bistro & Bar and Akureyri Backpackers.
Nightlife in Akureyri is a great experience. You will find Hof Cultural and Conference Center where they have many great Icelandic plays and concerts. There is also a great little bar called Græni Hatturinn that hosts many live concerts with local Icelandic bands.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has its own security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and in our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental in order to avoid any unexpected surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Akureyri
Best of Iceland