Car HIre in Akureyri
Find your car rental
Cheap Car Hire Deals in Akureyri
Akureyri is one of the largest cities in Iceland. It is often known as the capital of the north. It is located in a fjord named Eyjafjörður that is in the northern part of Iceland. In the heart of the city, you'll see the church of Akureyri which has stained-glass windows portraying scenes from Icelandic Christian history. It is known for its stairway that counts in a total of 112 stairs to reach the church. Akureyri is rich with a culture where you can explore the Akureyri Art Museum, Akureyri Botanical Garden, or simply enjoy the amazing views of the mountains surrounding the fjord. Akureyri is also surrounded by some of the most amazing landscapes such as waterfalls, geothermal pools, and beautiful little villages which can be explored.
Exploring Akureyri is best done by foot, but if you want to explore all of what the northern part of Iceland has to offer recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Akureyri is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Akureyri
- Location: Eyjafjörður Fjord in northern Iceland
- Population: 18,191 (2019)
- Official language: Icelandic (English is widely spoken in Iceland)
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK)
- Weather: In Akureyri, they will have a warm summer with temperatures around 19 ° C / 66 ° F. The winter can be harsher with more snow than near the capital Reykjavík.
- Holidays in Akureyri: In June each year Akureyri hosts a weekend called Biladagar. It is a car show where you can go to a car exhibition, see races, drifts etc. You can also find a great festival called "Ein með öllu" at the first weekend of August. Many locals will travel north to Akureyri to enjoy the festival that hosts music, plays, Tivoli and many other great things.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road condition in Akureyri is mainly good. The roads in Iceland are in general narrow. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout. During the winter period, we strongly recommend a 4x4 vehicle.
- Car hire in Keflavik: You will only find the big worldwide car rental companies offering pickup and dropoff in Akureyri. Companies such as Europcar, Hertz, Avis and Budget. They have offices at Akureyri Airport, Akureyri downtown and Akureyri Port. So if you are visiting Akureyri by plane or with a cruise ship you can easily rent a car in Akureyri
Driving in Akureyri
There is one toll road in Iceland. It is located 14km / 8.6m north of Akureyri. The toll road is a tunnel that goes through the mountain, it is called Vaðlaheiðagöng. It is important to keep in mind that when driving through the tunnel, you will need to pay online and you only have 3 hours before or after going through to pay. If the tunnel is not paid, the rental company will receive the fine and charge at the end of the rental. Most car rentals will add a service fee to the charge. You can also drive over the mountain and skip the tunnel, this is the old road and it is only 15 km / 9m longer. The best part about the old road is that it is free of charge. Driving in Keflavik is quite straightforward, you are not allowed to turn right on a red light in Iceland. The maximum speed in the city is 50km / h and outside the city, it is 90km / h. You will find all the major gas stations as well as budget gas stations in Keflavik. You can always pay in the self-service machine with your credit card. However, if your credit card does not have a PIN you will not be able to use it in the self-service machines. If your credit card does not have a PIN, we recommend purchasing a prepaid fuel card at the N1 gas station.
The best time to visit Akureyri is during the summer months (June-August) while the temperature is at its highest and roads are easy to drive. During the wintertime it can be very snowy in Akureyri, so make sure to rent a 4x4 for your Akureyri drive.
- Age limits: 20 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year).
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Iceland).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 55 mph / 90 kph outside cities and 30 mph / 50 kph in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: You need to pay for parking downtown Akureyri on weekdays between 08: 00-18: 00.
What to see in Akureyri
There is much to see and do in Akureyri! It is considered by many locals to be one of their favourite towns in Iceland. In the heart of the city, you'll see the church of Akureyri which has stained-glass windows portraying scenes from Icelandic Christian history. It is known for its stairway that counts in a total of 112 stairs to reach the church. Akureyri is rich with a culture where you can explore the Akureyri Art Museum, Akureyri Botanical Garden, or simply enjoy the amazing views of the mountains surrounding the fjord. Akureyri is also surrounded by some of the most amazing landscapes such as waterfalls, geothermal pools, and beautiful little villages which can be explored. We recommend visiting the ice cream store called "Brynja" when you are in Akureyri, it is considered to be the best ice cream store in Iceland. Make sure to visit the Christmas house while you are in Akureyri, it will make you feel like it's Christmas in the middle of the summer!
Explore the north of Iceland
Drive your rental car beyond Akureyri
Akureyri is a stunning city, but it's also close to other destinations that could make your vacation even more unforgettable. Many worthwhile destinations can be easily reached by car, so if you haven't hired a vehicle yet, you might want to reconsider.
A short drive from Akureyri you will find the Diamond Ring. The first stop on the diamond ring is Goðafoss waterfall located right by road 1. From Goðafoss you go to Lake Mývatn, a must-stop for photo lovers. From Lake Mývatn, you go to Dettifoss waterfall, the most powerful waterfall in all of Europe. From Dettifoss you go to Ásbyrgi, also known as the shelter of the gods. From there you take the last stop at the famous town called Húsavík.
You can also head to Dalvik that is only 45km away from Akureyri. We recommend stopping at Haugsnes before you head to Dalvík and enjoy the hot tubs by the ocean. And Siglufjörður, one of the most beautiful towns of Iceland is only an hour away from Akureyri.
Enjoy the culture in Akureyri
Where to eat, drink and party in Akureyri
Akureyri has many wonderful restaurants and bars where you can enjoy a local meal or sit down for a drink on the main shopping street. We recommend you to visit restaurants such as Strikið, Rub23, Bryggjan, Bautinn or Greifinn restaurant. There are also great bars such as Ölstofa Akureyrar, Mulaberg Bistro & Bar and Akureyri Backpackers.
Nightlife in Akureyri is a great experience. You will find Hof Cultural and Conference Center where they have many great Icelandic plays and concerts. There is also a great little bar called Græni Hatturinn that hosts many live concerts with local Icelandic bands.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Iceland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Iceland?
The minimum age to rent a car is 20 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in Iceland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Iceland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Iceland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Iceland?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Iceland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Iceland?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Hyundai I10 and Suzuki Jimny often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Iceland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, and Icerental4x4.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Iceland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size and SUV cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai I10, Toyota Yaris, Dacia Duster and Suzuki Vitara.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Iceland?
Most car rentals in Iceland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Akureyri
Best of Iceland