Car Hire in Keflavík
Find your rental car in Keflavik
Find your car rental
Keflavik is a city that hosts Iceland's main International airport. It is located 45km from the capital of Iceland. Keflavik is a town that is part of the Reykjanes area of Iceland. Reykjanes has many places to explore, everything from the Blue Lagoon, the volcano in Geldingadalir, a bridge between two continents (Europe & America). While you are in Keflavik we recommend visiting the Icelandic Museum of Rock 'n' Roll and get to know the rock culture of Iceland.
Exploring Keflavik can be done by foot, but if you want to explore all of what Reykjanes peninsula has to offer we recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Keflavik is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Keflavik
- Location: Reykjanes peninsula, located in southwest Iceland
- Population: 18,968 (2019)
- Official language: Icelandic (English is widely spoken in Iceland)
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK)
- Weather: At Keflavik, the summers are short and rather cold. It is known for its windy conditions and rainy days. It is mostly cloudy every day and the winters can be very long.
- Holidays in Keflavik: Keflavik hosts a festival at the beginning of each September month called Ljósanótt. Concerts, playground, Tivoli is among the things to do at this festival.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road condition in Keflavik is mainly good. The roads in Iceland are in general narrow. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout.
- Car hire in Keflavik: The most common vehicle collection hub is the Keflavik International Airport (KEF) also known as Keflavik Airport. The average daily price for hiring a car in Keflavik is 32 £ / 37.45 € in the winter (October-May), 44,43 £ / 51.92 € in July, 60.45 £ / 70.64 € in the summer (July & August) and 39.33 £ / 45.96 € in September. Please note that prices vary frequently. It's best to make a car booking 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this way you ensure the lowest car hire price. Alternatively, it is possible to find a great last-minute car hire deal.
Driving in Keflavik
There is only one toll road in Iceland. Luckily it is quite far away from Keflavik, so you will not need to worry about toll roads in Keflavik. The toll road in Iceland is a tunnel that is near Akureyri called Vaðlaheiðagöng. Driving in Keflavik is quite straightforward, you are not allowed to turn right on a red light in Iceland. The maximum speed in the city is 50km / h and outside the city, it is 90km / h. You will find all the major gas stations as well as budget gas stations in Keflavik. You can always pay in the self-service machine with your credit card. However, if your credit card does not have a PIN you will not be able to use it in the self-service machines. If your credit card does not have a PIN, we recommend purchasing a prepaid fuel card at the N1 gas station.
The best time to visit Keflavik (weather-wise) is June-August when the temperature is around 15 degrees and rain is at a minimum, if you do not mind driving in winter conditions it is also good to visit in February or March to catch the Aurora Lights.
- Age limits: 20 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year) .
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license and valid proof of insurance . (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Iceland).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as a hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 55 mph / 90 kph outside cities and 30 mph / 50 kph in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is free of charge in the Keflavik area.
What to see in Keflavik
There is much to see and do in Keflavik! Witness how you can go between two continents at the bridge of two continents. This bridge is between the North American & European tectonic plates. Experience the unique Blue Lagoon. located only 20 minutes drive away from Keflavik. Explore the Skessuhellir cave which is a large troll sculpture in a waterfront mountain cave. If you are travelling to Keflavik with kids we recommend visiting the swimming pool. It is a magical water park where the kids will have endless fun and the parents can relax in the hot tubs or sauna.
Drive your rental car beyond Keflavik
Keflavik is a great city, but it's also close to other destinations that could make your vacation even more unforgettable. There are many worthwhile destinations that can be easily reached by car, so if you haven't hired a vehicle yet, you might want to reconsider.
A short drive from Keflavik (27.7m / 45km) is the capital of Iceland, Reykjavík. Reykjavík is a stunning city that has many amazing things to do and see.
Visit the Blue Lagoon. Located only 20 minutes drive from Keflavik you can visit the Blue Lagoon and relax with style.
Enjoy the culture in Keflavik
Where to eat, drink and party in Keflavik
Keflavik has many great restaurants that are worth visiting. If you are looking for a fancy dinner we recommend going to the courtyard by Marriott or in Hotel Keflavik. Local restaurants such as Kaffi Duus, Kef restaurant and Olsen Olsen. Keflavik is a small town, so you will not find many bars but the ones worth visiting are Paddy's Irish Pub, Library bar / bistro and Cafe Petite.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Iceland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Iceland?
The minimum age to rent a car is 20 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver fees may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in Iceland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Iceland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Iceland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Iceland?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I find the cheapest car hire in Iceland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Iceland?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Hyundai I10 and Suzuki Jimny often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Iceland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Europcar, Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, and Icerental4x4.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Iceland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size and SUV cars. Popular rental cars are Hyundai I10, Toyota Yaris, Dacia Duster and Suzuki Vitara.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Iceland?
Most car rentals in Iceland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Keflavik 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Keflavik
Best of Iceland