Car Hire in Keflavík
Find your car hire
Keflavik is a city that hosts Iceland's main International airport. It is located 45km from the capital of Iceland. Keflavik is a town that is part of the Reykjanes area of Iceland. Reykjanes has many places to explore, everything from the Blue Lagoon, the volcano in Geldingadalir, a bridge between two continents (Europe & America). While you are in Keflavik we recommend visiting the Icelandic Museum of Rock 'n' Roll and get to know the rock culture of Iceland.
Exploring Keflavik can be done by foot, but if you want to explore all of what Reykjanes peninsula has to offer we recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Keflavik is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Keflavik
- Location: Reykjanes peninsula, located in southwest Iceland
- Population: 18,968 (2019)
- Official language: Icelandic (English is widely spoken in Iceland)
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK)
- Weather: At Keflavik, the summers are short and rather cold. It is known for its windy conditions and rainy days. It is mostly cloudy every day and the winters can be very long.
- Holidays in Keflavik: Keflavik hosts a festival at the beginning of each September month called Ljósanótt. Concerts, playground, Tivoli is among the things to do at this festival.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road condition in Keflavik is mainly good. The roads in Iceland are in general narrow. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout.
- Car hire in Keflavik: The most common vehicle collection hub is the Keflavik International Airport (KEF) also known as Keflavik Airport. The average daily price for hiring a car in Keflavik is 32 £ / 37.45 € in the winter (October-May), 44,43 £ / 51.92 € in July, 60.45 £ / 70.64 € in the summer (July & August) and 39.33 £ / 45.96 € in September. Please note that prices vary frequently. It's best to make a car booking 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this way you ensure the lowest car hire price. Alternatively, it is possible to find a great last-minute car hire deal.
Driving in Keflavik
There is only one toll road in Iceland. Luckily it is quite far away from Keflavik, so you will not need to worry about toll roads in Keflavik. The toll road in Iceland is a tunnel that is near Akureyri called Vaðlaheiðagöng. Driving in Keflavik is quite straightforward, you are not allowed to turn right on a red light in Iceland. The maximum speed in the city is 50km / h and outside the city, it is 90km / h. You will find all the major gas stations as well as budget gas stations in Keflavik. You can always pay in the self-service machine with your credit card. However, if your credit card does not have a PIN you will not be able to use it in the self-service machines. If your credit card does not have a PIN, we recommend purchasing a prepaid fuel card at the N1 gas station.
The best time to visit Keflavik (weather-wise) is June-August when the temperature is around 15 degrees and rain is at a minimum, if you do not mind driving in winter conditions it is also good to visit in February or March to catch the Aurora Lights.
- Age limits: 20 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. To hire a car, it is required that a driver has held a license for more than one year) .
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if your driver's license is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
- Additional papers: Identification (passport), a valid driving license and valid proof of insurance . (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Iceland).
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, spare wheels are required as well as a hands-free equipment with hearing aids are required when talking on the phone while driving.
- Children in the car: All car occupants must wear a seat belt. Children under the age of twelve, or taller than 4ft 11in / 1.50 meters, may travel in the front passenger seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: Headlights are turned on at all times (day and night).
- General speed limits: 55 mph / 90 kph outside cities and 30 mph / 50 kph in residential areas.
- Parking suggestions: Parking is free of charge in the Keflavik area.
What to see in Keflavik
There is much to see and do in Keflavik! Witness how you can go between two continents at the bridge of two continents. This bridge is between the North American & European tectonic plates. Experience the unique Blue Lagoon. located only 20 minutes drive away from Keflavik. Explore the Skessuhellir cave which is a large troll sculpture in a waterfront mountain cave. If you are travelling to Keflavik with kids we recommend visiting the swimming pool. It is a magical water park where the kids will have endless fun and the parents can relax in the hot tubs or sauna.
Drive your rental car beyond Keflavik
Keflavik is a great city, but it's also close to other destinations that could make your vacation even more unforgettable. There are many worthwhile destinations that can be easily reached by car, so if you haven't hired a vehicle yet, you might want to reconsider.
A short drive from Keflavik (27.7m / 45km) is the capital of Iceland, Reykjavík. Reykjavík is a stunning city that has many amazing things to do and see.
Visit the Blue Lagoon. Located only 20 minutes drive from Keflavik you can visit the Blue Lagoon and relax with style.
Enjoy the culture in Keflavik
Where to eat, drink and party in Keflavik
Keflavik has many great restaurants that are worth visiting. If you are looking for a fancy dinner we recommend going to the courtyard by Marriott or in Hotel Keflavik. Local restaurants such as Kaffi Duus, Kef restaurant and Olsen Olsen. Keflavik is a small town, so you will not find many bars but the ones worth visiting are Paddy's Irish Pub, Library bar / bistro and Cafe Petite.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has its own security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and in our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental in order to avoid any unexpected surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Car Hire Locations in Keflavik 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Keflavik
Best of Iceland