Car Hire in Reykjavik
Find your car hire
Reykjavík is the capital of Iceland. Located in the southern part of the island surrounded by mountains including Mt.Esjan. Reykjavík is a small city full of life and wonderful culture that everyone needs to experience. Located in the heart of Reykjavík you will find Hallgrímskirkjan church. Also the main shopping street Laugavegur as well as Skólavörðustígur which have many great local stores and boutiques that is a must to stop in. As Reykjavík is a small city, you can easily explore all of what the city has to offer on foot. Not far outside of Reykjavík you will find many unique things to see and do, such as the Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle and Kjós.
Exploring Reykjavík is best done by foot, but if you want to explore all of what the northern part of Iceland has to offer recommend renting a car. Hiring a car in Reykjavík is easy and allows the freedom to drive to other beautiful places nearby.
Basic info and car hire in Reykjavík
- Location: South of Iceland
- Population: 122.853 (2016)
- Official language: Icelandic (English is widely spoken in Iceland)
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK)
- Weather: In Reykjavík, the temperature is mostly mild, winter 0-5 degrees and summer you will find it to be around 15 degrees. If you are looking for a warmer location in Iceland, we recommend the north of Iceland.
- Holidays in Reykjavík: There are many great things happening each year in Reykjavík. Among a few of them, you will find Gay Pride and Inni Púkinn. If you are a music lover, you can also easily find local bands playing every weekend at bars and concert halls.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road condition in Reykjavík is mainly good. The roads in Iceland are in general narrow. In roundabouts, the cars in the inner circle always have the right when going out of the roundabout.
- Car hire in Keflavik: Renting a car in Reykjavík is very easy. You will find most rental companies that offer either hotel delivery or provide a rental office located in the heart of Reykjavík. We recommend looking at Enterprise, Europcar, Alamo and Icerental4x4 in Reykjavík.
What to see in Reykjavík
There is much to see and do in Reykjavík! If you want to see the view over the city we recommend going to the top of Hallgrímskirkjan (It costs 1000 ISK per adult). You can also go to Perlan and see Reykjavík from the top, free of charge. In Perlan you will also find a zip line and a great museum and the worlds first indoor Ice Cave. If you are staying in Reykjavík for more than 2 days, we also strongly recommend going to one of its swimming pools. Swimming pools are a big part of the Icelandic culture, where you can swim, relax in the hot tub, go into the cold tub or enjoy the sauna and steam bath. If you are looking for local food and dishes going to Café Loki is a perfect place to have lunch. By the port of Reykjavík, you will find Harpa, the main concert and conference building in Iceland. If the weather is not at its best, you can go to Fly over Iceland and the whale museum.
Drive your rental car beyond Akureyri
Reykjavík is a great city with many things to see and do. However, we strongly recommend that you take day trips outside of Reykjavík. Visiting the Blue Lagoon is only a 30-minute drive from Reykjavík. Going to the Golden Circle is a must-do in Iceland. If you would like to do more exploring around Iceland you can head to the south coast of Iceland, drive towards Vík í Mýrdal and see all the waterfalls and beaches that the area has to offer.
Enjoy the culture in Reykjavík
Where to eat, drink and party in Reykjavík
Looking for a fancy dinner in Reykjavík? Here are some of our recommendations: Matarkjallarinn, Kol, Fiskimarkaðurinn, Sushi Social. You can find endless options to go out for a dinner in Reykjavík. Looking for fun? There is something suitable for everyone in Reykjavík! You can socialize, sit, observe other partygoers, or dance to the sounds of different musical genres. Reykjavík is not big, so you can easily afford a night wandering around bars and clubs, which will last until the early morning.
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you have to choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form there is a step where you choose the payment method and you simply fill in your credit card information. In the end, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at the time of pick-up.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has its own security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone: +354 823 0165
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and in our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in case of:
- Out of hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle out of office hours),
- One way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not in relation to the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental in order to avoid any unexpected surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick up. If you do not have the voucher with you at the time of pick up, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or can change the price of the rental.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire which, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover that refunds you in case the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. For more information, you can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us.
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Reykjavík
Best of Iceland