Car Hire in Wellington
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Wellington
Wellington is the capital of New Zealand and is located at the southern end of the North Island. It is a cosmopolitan city with a vibrant arts and culture scene and is also home to some excellent restaurants and bars. Wellington is surrounded by a stunning natural landscape of rolling hills, forests and coastline, so there is plenty to see and do in the surrounding area. Whether you are interested in outdoor activities or want to explore the city's vibrant nightlife, Wellington has something for everyone.
Basic info and car hire in Wellington
- Location: North Island
- Population: 212.700 (2017)
- Official language: English
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- Weather: The temperature can range from very hot to very cold in a short period. Wellington also has a lot of wind, which makes the temperature feel even colder.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in New Zealand are unique and often challenging. The diverse terrain means that there's never just one way to get from point A, the country has many different types of roads which might challenge your vehicle or make it difficult for other drivers around you. Outside main city areas most people drive on single lane rural highways without barriers between them but sometimes they have gravel surfaces too!
- Car hire in Wellington: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Wellington is Wellington Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Wellington!
Driving in Wellington
Wellington is known for its wind, so keep that in mind when driving! The roads are narrow and winding, so it's important to pay attention to what's going on around you. There are many one-way streets and it can be difficult to find a parking space, so plan. Drivers in Wellington are also known to be a little impatient, so keep that in mind when you are behind the wheel. All in all, use common sense and you'll be fine.
When it comes to driving in New Zealand, there are strict alcohol limits for both adults and teens. For people aged 20 or over the limit is 250 micrograms (mcg) of alcohol per litre of breath with a blood-alcohol content of 50 mg/100 ml. For drivers under 20, there is zero tolerance for drunk driving.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 18. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not in English. Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers. Your Driving Licence must have at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: Under New Zealand law, all children under the age of seven must use an approved child seat that is suitable for their age and size. Children aged seven must be secured in a child seat if one is available in the vehicle.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: The speed limit of 50 km/h urban and built-up areas, as well as 100 on expressways or motorways, is by default. Other higher speeds are 110km per hour
- Parking suggestions: Coupon parking rules apply Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. On public holidays, parking in a coupon parking zone is free of charge. There is no time limit. If you leave your car overnight, you will be charged for each day you park there.
Car Hire in Wellington
Most popular car hire at Wellington
The most selected hire car in Wellington is the Mitsubishi ASX, with the Toyota Yaris and Toyota Corolla also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Wellington are mini, economy and compact car categories.
Rent a minivan in Wellington with seats for 8-10 persons. Vehicles like the Toyota Hiace and Kia Carnival is ideal for a large group looking for more seats and luggage space.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Wellington
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Wellington. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the New Zealand.
- Wellington - Auckland (643km, approx. 8-hour drive)
- Wellington - Tauranga (515km, approx 6-hour drive)
- Wellington - New Plymouth (353km, approx 4,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Wellington
There are several great day trips from Wellington that you can take to make the most of your time in the city. Here you can find a few of our favourite trips.
The Wairarapa wine region is a beautiful area just an hour's drive from Wellington. You can visit wineries, explore charming villages and enjoy breathtaking views of the countryside.
If you are looking for a little adventure, Paraparaumu Beach is a great option. The beach is known for its surfing and windsurfing conditions, so it's perfect if you are looking for some excitement. You can also visit the Kapiti Coast Wildlife Reserve, which is home to a variety of local wildlife.
Another good option is the Kapiti Island Nature Reserve. The reserve is home to a variety of wildlife, including kiwi birds, and is a great place to relax and enjoy nature.
If you are looking for something more urban, Wellington itself has plenty to offer. You can explore the city's vibrant cultural and art scene or take a stroll through the beautiful parks and gardens.
What to see in Wellington
Top attractions in Wellington include the Te Papa Museum, Botanic Gardens, Mount Victoria and Oriental Bay. The city is also home to a large number of theatres, art galleries and other cultural venues. If you are looking for lively nightlife, head to Cuba Street or Courtenay Place, where you'll find a great selection of bars and clubs. Wellington is a great city to visit all year round but is particularly popular in the summer when the weather is warm and many outdoor events and festivals take place.
Drive your rental car beyond Wellington
The first road trip takes you to the Wairarapa region. This region is known for its vineyards and charming villages. The drive takes about an hour and a half from Wellington and there is a lot to see and do in the area. Highlights include the Martinborough wine region, where you can sample some of the local wines, and Lake Wairarapa, which offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
Another good option for a road trip from Wellington is a trip to the North Island. This drive takes about four hours and offers many opportunities to explore New Zealand's beautiful landscape. Highlights include the Tongariro National Park with its breathtaking volcanic landscapes and the beaches in the Bay of Islands.
If you are looking for a longer road trip, you can drive to the South Island. This drive takes about eight hours and offers a lot of breathtaking scenery along the way. Highlights include Milford Sound, one of New Zealand's most popular destinations, and the glaciers in Mount Cook National Park.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Wellington
Wellington is a great city to eat and drink. There are many places to eat, from small cafes to upscale restaurants. And there are also many places to have a drink, from cafés to pubs.
Some of the best places to eat in Wellington include Fidel's Cafe, The White Swan and Logan Brown. Fidel's is great for breakfast or lunch and The White Swan is a great place for dinner. Logan Brown is a little more expensive, but worth it for the excellent food.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in New Zealand?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in New Zealand?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in New Zealand?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in New Zealand with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in New Zealand?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in New Zealand?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I get the cheapest car in New Zealand?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in New Zealand?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, and Kai Cerato often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in New Zealand?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise Rent a Car, Alamo Rent a Car, National Rent a Car, Yesaway Rent a Car, Europcar Rent a Car and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in New Zealand?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi ASX, Toyota Camry.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for New Zealand?
Most car rentals in New Zealand offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Wellington 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Wellington
Best of New Zealand