Car Hire in Dunedin
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Dunedin
Dunedin is a city in the Otago region of New Zealand. The city is known for its arts and culture and as a university town. It is also home to several museums and galleries, including the Dunedin Public Art Gallery. Dunedin is a popular tourist destination and is home to many bed and breakfasts.
If you are looking for a little slice of Kiwi heaven, Dunedin is the place to be. This charming city is located in the Otago region of New Zealand and is known for its arts and culture scene. It is also a great place for nature lovers as it is home to some beautiful parks and gardens. And if that was not enough, Dunedin is also the birthplace of the University of Otago - one of New Zealand's oldest universities.
Basic info and car hire in Dunedin
- Location: South Island
- Population: 128.800 (2017)
- Official language: English
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- Weather: The city has a temperate climate with average temperatures between 6 and 16 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in New Zealand are unique and often challenging. The diverse terrain means that there's never just one way to get from point A, the country has many different types of roads which might challenge your vehicle or make it difficult for other drivers around you. Outside main city areas most people drive on single lane rural highways without barriers between them but sometimes they have gravel surfaces too!
- Car hire in Dunedin: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Dunedin is Dunedin Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Dunedin!
Driving in Dunedin
Dunedin is a great city to explore by car. The roads are well maintained and the drivers are courteous. There is plenty of free parking and the city centre is easy to find. Dunedin is also a great place to drive in winter as the hills around the city offer stunning scenery. Be sure to pack your camera!
If you are driving in Dunedin, be aware that there are many one-way streets. If you are unfamiliar with the area, take a few minutes to study a map before setting off. Also watch out for pedestrians and cyclists, as they have the right of way on most roads.
When it comes to driving in New Zealand, there are strict alcohol limits for both adults and teens. For people aged 20 or over the limit is 250 micrograms (mcg) of alcohol per litre of breath with a blood-alcohol content of 50 mg/100 ml. For drivers under 20, there is zero tolerance for drunk driving.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 18. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not in English. Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers. Your Driving Licence must have at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: Under New Zealand law, all children under the age of seven must use an approved child seat that is suitable for their age and size. Children aged seven must be secured in a child seat if one is available in the vehicle.
- Driving side of the road: Left Side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: The speed limit of 50 km/h urban and built-up areas, as well as 100 on expressways or motorways, is by default. Other higher speeds are 110km per hour
- Parking suggestions: There is plenty of free parking and the city centre is easy to find
Car Hire in Dunedin
Most popular car hire at Dunedin
The most selected hire car in Dunedin is the Suzuki Swift, with the Kia Cerato and Mitsubishi ASX also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Dunedin are mini, economy and compact car categories.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Dunedin
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Dunedin. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the New Zealand.
- Dunedin - Queenstown (279km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Dunedin - Invercargill (204km, approx 2,5-hour drive)
- Dunedin - Christchurch (360km, approx 5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Dunedin
If you are looking for a great hike, Mount Aspiring National Park is worth considering. The park is about an hour and a half from Dunedin and offers stunning scenery. There are a variety of hiking trails, so you can find the perfect hike for your abilities and interests. Be sure to take plenty of water and snacks with you, as there are few places to buy food in the park.
Another popular day trip from Dunedin is Wanaka. This charming mountain village is about two hours from Dunedin and is home to some of New Zealand's most beautiful scenery. There's plenty to do in Wanaka, from hiking and fishing to visiting the local wineries. You can also visit Puzzling World, a strange attraction that is worth a visit.
The Otago Peninsula is another good option for a day trip from Dunedin. The peninsula is home to stunning cliffs, a rugged coastline and beautiful wildlife. There are also many small villages and towns on the peninsula, each with its character. Be sure to visit the Royal Albatross Centre and the Otago Peninsula Wildlife Reserve while you are there.
What to see in Dunedin
Dunedin is a city in southern New Zealand known for its Scottish heritage. Top sights in Dunedin include Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world, the Otago Peninsula, home to beautiful wildlife and a rugged coastline, and Larnach Castle, a well-preserved 19th-century castle. In addition, Dunedin is an ideal base for exploring the rest of southern New Zealand, including Fiordland National Park and Queenstown.
If you are looking for a fun and unique city in New Zealand, be sure to check out Dunedin! With its beautiful scenery and interesting history, you will not be disappointed.
Drive your rental car beyond Dunedin
The best road trips from Dunedin, New Zealand, offer stunning scenery and plenty of activities to keep travellers on their toes. Some of the best trips include the Otago Peninsula Road Trip, the Taieri Gorge Railway Trip and the Central Otago Wine Trail. Each of these trips offers something different and will appeal to travellers of all ages. The Otago Peninsula Road trip is a great option for those who want to see some of the best wildlife in the country. The Taieri Gorge Railway ride takes you through some of the region's most beautiful scenery, and the Central Otago Wine Trail is perfect for wine lovers who want to experience some of New Zealand's best wineries. Whichever road trip you choose, you are sure to have a wonderful time exploring all that Dunedin and the surrounding area have to offer.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Dunedin
Dunedin has a wide range of cafés, restaurants and bars to choose from. Popular places to eat include Fortune Biscuit Cafe, which serves delicious Chinese food, and Speights Ale House, known for its excellent pub food and locally brewed beers. If you fancy a drink, visit The Octagon Bar, which offers a great selection of beers on tap, or The Crown Hotel, one of Dunedin's oldest pubs. Whatever your taste, you are sure to find something in Dunedin to whet your appetite!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in New Zealand?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in New Zealand?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age.
Do I need car insurance in New Zealand?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in New Zealand with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in New Zealand?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in New Zealand?
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements.
How do I get the cheapest car in New Zealand?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in New Zealand?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, and Kai Cerato often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in New Zealand?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise Rent a Car, Alamo Rent a Car, National Rent a Car, Yesaway Rent a Car, Europcar Rent a Car and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in New Zealand?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi ASX, Toyota Camry.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for New Zealand?
Most car rentals in New Zealand offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Dunedin 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Dunedin
Best of New Zealand