Car Hire in Auckland
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Auckland
Auckland is the largest city in New Zealand and is located on the North Island. It is known for its natural beauty and vibrant culture. Auckland is a popular destination for tourists and there is a lot to do and see in the city. Major attractions include the Sky Tower, the Queen Street shopping district and beaches such as Mission Bay and Takapuna. Auckland is also home to a variety of restaurants and nightspots. Whatever your interests, Auckland is sure to have something to offer.
If you are looking for a great destination, be sure to put Auckland on your list. You will not regret it!
Basic info and car hire in Auckland
- Location: North Island of New Zealand
- Population: 1.657 million (2017)
- Official language: English
- Currency: New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- Weather: The weather in Auckland is changeable throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from mild to hot and humid, and rainfall occurring throughout the year. The winter months (June-August) tend to be the coolest, with average daytime temperatures of around 16 degrees Celsius, although occasional cold snaps can drop temperatures below 10 degrees. In contrast, the summer months (December-February) are the warmest, with average daily temperatures of around 25 degrees. The wettest months are generally April and May, while the driest month is typically October. Auckland's weather is influenced by its location in the subtropical climate zone, as well as by the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The road conditions in New Zealand are unique and often challenging. The diverse terrain means that there's never just one way to get from point A, the country has many different types of roads which might challenge your vehicle or make it difficult for other drivers around you . Outside main city areas most people drive on single lane rural highways without barriers between them but sometimes they have gravel surfaces too!
- Car hire in Auckland: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Auckland is Auckland Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Auckland!
Driving in Auckland
The streets in Auckland are very busy and it can be difficult to drive through the city. There are many intersections and traffic lights, and it can be difficult to find a parking space. However, the city is very beautiful and there is a lot to see and do. I love living in Auckland and driving around the city.
When it comes to driving in New Zealand, there are strict alcohol limits for both adults and teens. For people aged 20 or over the limit is 250 micrograms (mcg) of alcohol per litre of breath with a blood-alcohol content of 50 mg/100 ml. For drivers under 20, there is zero tolerance for drunk driving.
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 18. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not in English. Residents of countries that cannot issue International Driving Permits may present an official translation of their National Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers. Your Driving Licence must have at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Additional requirements: Glasses (in case you need glasses, you must always have a spare pair in the car), light bulbs (are usually already in the car and are provided by the car rental company), warning triangle
- Children in the car: Under New Zealand law, all children under the age of seven must use an approved child seat that is suitable for their age and size. Children aged seven must be secured in a child seat if one is available in the vehicle.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Daytime headlights is recommended at all times and required in the rain, fog or under challenging weather conditions.
- General speed limits: The speed limit of 50 km/h urban and built-up areas, as well as 100 on expressways or motorways, is by default. Other higher speeds are 110km per hour
- Parking suggestions: Parking is not free in Auckland during the daytime. Depending on the parking zone what the hours are. Overnight parking is usually free.
Car Hire in Auckland
Most popular car hire at Auckland
The most selected hire car in Auckland is the Toyota Yaris, with the Toyota Corolla and Nissan March also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Auckland are mini and economy.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Auckland
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Auckland. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the New Zealand.
- Auckland - Wellington (643 km, approx 8-hour drive)
- Auckland - Tauranga (200km, approx. 2,5-hour drive)
- Auckland - Whitianga (190km, approx. 2,5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Auckland
There are many great day trips from Auckland, no matter what you are interested in. If you love nature and hiking, there are options like the Hillary Trail or the Rangitoto Island hike that will take your breath away. If you are more of a city person, Rotorua is only a couple of hours away and has some amazing geothermal activities to check out. No matter your interests, there is a perfect day trip waiting for you from Auckland!
What to see in Auckland
Auckland is a city that has something for everyone. Whether you are looking for good food, beautiful scenery or interesting attractions, Auckland has it all. Some of the main attractions in Auckland include the Sky Tower, the harbour and surrounding islands, and the beaches. In addition, Auckland is home to a variety of museums and other
The best things to do in Auckland:
-Visit the Sky Tower for a breathtaking view of the city and the surrounding area
-Stroll down Queen Street and enjoy the many shopping and dining options
-Enjoy the sun and sand at one of Auckland's many beaches, such as Mission Bay or Takapuna
-Experience the city's vibrant culture by visiting its restaurants and nightspots
-Explore the city's natural beauty, including its parks and mountains
Drive your rental car beyond Auckland
There are many great trips that can be taken from Auckland. One of the most popular routes is to drive south along the coast to the city of Dunedin. This drive takes about nine hours and offers beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. Along the way, you can also visit some small towns and villages, such as Waiuku and Kaikoura.
Another popular road trip is the drive to the north of the country to the town of Paihia. This drive takes about six hours and passes through some of New Zealand's most stunning scenery, including mountains, valleys and lakes. Paihia is a great place to stop and enjoy some coastal activities such as kayaking or swimming.
A great option for those who want to see as much of New Zealand as possible is the so-called "Grand Tour". This trip lasts about two weeks and takes you to some of the most popular destinations on the North and South Island. Highlights include Milford Sound, Rotorua and Mount Cook National Park.
Whichever route you choose, a road trip from Auckland is an adventure either way. So grab your keys and hit the road!
Where to eat, drink, and party in Auckland
Auckland has a range of restaurants and bars to suit all tastes. The Viaduct Basin and Wynyard Quarter are the best areas to dine on the waterfront, while Britomart is home to some of the city's best restaurants and bars. Alternatively, Ponsonby and Mt Eden are popular neighbourhoods for independent dining. For nightlife, head to K Rd or Queen St in downtown Auckland. There is also plenty of choices in the suburbs such as Takapuna and Devonport.
Auckland has something for everyone when it comes to food and drink, so be sure to explore the city's diverse culinary scene!
Best restaurant in Auckland
The selection of restaurants in Auckland seems endless! Here is our top 5 list of restaurants that you simply must check out while visiting this amazing city!
What you need to know about renting a car
How to make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick out the vehicle you want from the list provided. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method, and you simply fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher, which is needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: email@example.com
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (this condition is set by the car hire company and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to make sure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price for your booking, and the payment of your booking. It is mandatory to have your voucher with you at the time of pick-up. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency in the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted
You can pay with a debit card and credit card when making a booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when you make a booking. If you already have a booking, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay for it to be repaired or fixed. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by rent a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. There is an excess, also known as a deductible, that comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Auckland 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Auckland
Best of New Zealand