Car Hire in Donegal
Find your rental car in Donegal
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Donegal
Donegal is a county located in the northwest of Ireland. Donegal comes from the Irish "Dún na nGall", meaning "Fort of the Foreigners". The county covers an area of 3,223 square kilometres (1,248 square miles) and has a population of 159,192 people.
The coastline of Donegal is very rugged, with hundreds of miles of cliffs, headlands, and bays. The highest point in Donegal is Mount Errigal at 751 meters (2,464 feet). The main river in Donegal is the River Erne.
Donegal is best known for its traditional music and dance. However, many festivals are held in the county each year, including the Donegal International Folk Festival and the Earagail Arts Festival. The county is also home to several well-known golf courses, such as Ballyliffin Golf Club and Royal Portrush Golf Club.
Basic info and car hire in Donegal
- Location: Northwest of Ireland
- Population: 159.192 (2016)
- Official language: Irish
- Currency: Euro €
- Weather: The weather in Donegal is notoriously changeable. You can experience all four seasons in the space of a day, and sometimes even in the same hour! However, overall the climate is mild, with temperatures rarely falling below freezing in winter or rising above 20 degrees Celsius in summer. Donegal is known for its high rainfall so you can expect frequent showers throughout the year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Road conditions in Donegal, Ireland, are usually good. However, there can be some icy patches on the roads during the winter months. Drivers should take care when travelling on the streets in Donegal during the winter. The main roads in Donegal are usually well-maintained, but the more minor roads can be a bit rougher. There are some beautiful scenic routes in Donegal, and it is worth taking your time to explore them.
- Car hire in Donegal: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Donegal is Donegal Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Donegal!
Driving in Donegal
Donegal is a county located in the northwest of Ireland. The scenery in Donegal is simply stunning, and it's no wonder that the area is a popular destination for tourists. One of the best ways to explore Donegal is by car. The roads are well maintained and offer stunning views of the countryside.
When driving in Donegal, keep an eye out for sheep and other animals that may be crossing the road. There are also many winding and narrow streets, so drive with caution. If you're unfamiliar with driving on the left side of the road, be especially careful when turning at intersections.
If you're looking for a great drive through some of the most beautiful countryside in Ireland, add Donegal to your list!
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car in Dublin is 23 years old, and the maximum age is 75. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU licence holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Ireland)
- Additional requirements: Those who hold a UK Driving Licence must provide a one-time passcode generated by the DVLA online service "Share Driving Licence" to validate their driving record.
- Children in the car: The law says that all children under 150cm or 36kg in weight must use the correct child seat when travelling. This usually means your little one will need to be secured with a car seat until they turn 12 years old.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Special limits: 30km/h, Urban areas: 50km/h, Regional roads: 80km/h and on National roads: 100km/h.
- Parking suggestions: As a general rule, parking is free if you park outside of the indicated hours or on any day that has no restrictions. There are some exceptions to this policy though; for example, clearways and bus lanes require payment with an erected ticket symbolizing your space rental agreement during those particular times.
Car Hire in Donegal
Most popular car hire at Donegal
The most selected hire car in Donegal s the Toyota Yaris, with the Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus also being a popular option. The most popular car types in Dublin are mini and economy groups.
Premium car hire is also available in Dublin with models like BMW, Audi or Mercedes Benz available with some of the best car hire companies out there.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Donegal
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Donegal. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Ireland.
- Donegal - Dublin (225km, approx. 3-hour drive)
- Donegal - Galway (202km, approx 3-hour drive)
- Donegal - Shannon (268km, approx 3,5-hour drive)
- Donegal - Cork (383km, approx 5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Donegal
Many popular day trips can be taken from Donegal, Ireland. The most popular destination is Slieve League, the highest sea cliff in Europe. Other popular destinations include the Giant's Causeway, the Glens of Antrim, and the Glenveagh National Park.
What to see in Donegal
Donegal is a county located in the northwest of Ireland. It shares a border with Northern Ireland and is one of Ireland's most sparsely populated counties. The county town is Letterkenny. Donegal has some of the most beautiful views in all of Ireland, with rugged mountains and stunning coastal cliffs. There are also some great places to visit and things to do in Donegal, including:
The Glenveagh National Park is a must-visit for nature lovers. The park is home to extensive gardens, lakes, forests and wildlife.
The Inishowen Peninsula is another excellent spot for nature lovers, with its dramatic coastline, sheltered bays and rolling hills.
The Slieve League Cliffs are the highest in Europe and offer stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean.
The town of Donegal is a great place to explore Irish culture and history. The city is home to many ancient castles and churches and traditional pubs and music venues.
The beaches in Donegal are some of the most beautiful in Ireland. In particular, Rossnowlagh Beach and Murvagh Beach are must-visits.
Donegal is a great place to go hiking, fishing, surfing and kayaking. There are also plenty of lovely towns and villages to explore, each with its unique character. So if you're looking for some fun in Ireland, be sure to add Donegal to your list!
Drive your rental car beyond Donegal
There are so many great road trips from Donegal, Ireland. One of my favourites is the drive along the coast from Donegal Town to Ardara. The road winds through the hills and past some of the most beautiful coastline in Ireland. There are small villages and towns to stop in for lunch or a cup of tea.
Another great road trip is from Glencolmcille to Killybegs. This route takes you through some remote and rugged countryside in Ireland. There are also plenty of small villages and pubs to stop in.
If you're looking for something adventurous, I recommend driving the Slea Head Loop. This route takes you around the Dingle Peninsula, one of the most scenic areas in Ireland. The drive is windy and narrow, but the views are worth it.
No matter what route you choose, you will enjoy the beauty of Donegal, Ireland.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Donegal
There are numerous pubs and restaurants in Donegal that serve traditional Irish food and drink. One of the most popular places to eat is Gallagher’s Pub, located in the centre of Letterkenny. Gallagher’s serves various dishes, including seafood, steak, and lamb. Another popular restaurant is The Fisherman’s Rest, specialising in fresh seafood dishes. It’s located on the banks of Lough Eske and has stunning views of the lake. If you’re looking for a traditional Irish pub to have a few drinks in, then O’Donnel’s is a great choice. It has live music every night and a warm atmosphere.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Ireland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. In many European Union countries, a National ID is sufficient. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Ireland?
The minimum age to rent a car is 25 years old. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 2-8 years, depending on car rental companies. This information is visible in the Orbit search engine.
Do I need car rental insurance in Ireland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Ireland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Ireland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit Car Hire you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license when renting a car in Ireland?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I find the cheapest car in Ireland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period. You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Ford Ka and Opel Insignia often provide the best prices.
What is the best rental company in Ireland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, and Budget.
What types and makes of deals can I find in Ireland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Ford Ka, Ford Fiesta, Opel Insignia, and Nissan Qashqai.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage in Ireland?
Most car rentals in Ireland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Donegal 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Donegal
Best of Ireland