Car Hire in Shannon
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Shannon
Shannon, Ireland, is a small town on the banks of the Shannon River. The city is known for its beautiful scenery and historical sites. Shannon is also home to several pubs and restaurants serving a variety of Irish dishes. Visitors to Shannon can take advantage of hiking and biking trails and go fishing and boating on the river. Shannon is also a short drive from several major cities, including Limerick and Galway.
Basic info and car hire in Shannon
- Location: Western Ireland
- Population: 9.729 (2016)
- Official language: Irish
- Currency: Euro €
- Weather: During the summertime, the weather is comfortable and mellow. Winters are long, cold and wet. Typically Shannon is cloudy.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Shannon, Ireland, are in good condition. There are a few potholes here and there, but overall the roads are well maintained. The roads are clean and safe to walk on. There is not much traffic so it is easy to get around. Shannon is a great place if you want a relaxing holiday.
- Car hire in Shannon: The most common pick-up point for vehicles in Shannon is Shannon Airport. Please note that prices vary frequently. It is best to book a car 3 to 8 weeks in advance of your desired pick-up date - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire. Find the best deal on car hire in Shannon!
Driving in Shannon
When driving in Shannon, Ireland, be sure to stay on the right side of the road and give way to pedestrians. There are a few roundabouts in the city, so pay attention to traffic signs and be prepared to stop. At night, look out for deer that might cross the road. If you rent a car, keep in mind that Shannon is a small town and it can be difficult to find a parking space. However, there are several public car parks near the city centre. If you follow these simple tips, you will be able to navigate the streets of Shannon safely and enjoy your stay in this beautiful Irish city.
- Age limits: The minimum age to rent a car in Dublin is 23 years old, and the maximum age is 75. Different driver age restrictions apply to different vehicle groups and these are applied automatically to all online rental searches. If you entered your correct age and the online search returned a specific vehicle group, you are eligible to rent it. Please note that the same restrictions apply to all Additional Drivers.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU licence holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving licence, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Ireland)
- Additional requirements: Those who hold a UK Driving Licence must provide a one-time passcode generated by the DVLA online service "Share Driving Licence" to validate their driving record.
- Children in the car: The law says that all children under 150cm or 36kg in weight must use the correct child seat when travelling. This usually means your little one will need to be secured with a car seat until they turn 12 years old.
- Driving side of the road: Left side.
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Special limits: 30km/h, Urban areas: 50km/h, Regional roads: 80km/h and on National roads: 100km/h.
- Parking suggestions: It can be difficult to find a parking space. However, there are several public car parks near the city centre
Car Hire in Shannon
Most popular car hire at Shannon
The most selected hire car in Shannon is the Toyota Aygo, with the Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus also being popular options. The most popular car types in Shannon are mini and economy groups.
Premium car hire is also available in Shannon with models like BMW, Audi or Mercedes Benz available with some of the best car hire companies out there.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Shannon
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Shannon. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Ireland.
- Shannon - Limerick (20km, approx. 25 minutes drive)
- Shannon - Cork (117km, approx. 1.5-hour drive)
- Shannon - Galway (91km, approx. 1-hour drive)
- Shannon - Dublin (228k, approx. 2.5-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Shannon
There are many great day trips from Shannon, Ireland that you can take to enjoy the beautiful scenery and charming villages. One of the favourites is a trip to the Cliffs of Moher, which offer stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean. You can also visit the Burren National Park with its unusual limestone landscape or take a hike in the rolling hills of County Kerry. If you are looking for an urban getaway, you can head to Galway City and explore the lively pubs and shops. Whatever you choose, you are sure to have a great time!
What to see in Shannon
There is much to do and see in Shannon, Ireland! For history buffs, there's the Shannon Heritage Centre, which tells the story of the town from its beginnings as a small fishing village. Or take a tour of Bunratty Castle, one of the best-preserved castles in Ireland. If you are looking for something more active, you can go hiking or cycling in the picturesque countryside around Shannon. And of course, no visit to Shannon would be complete without sampling the local seafood! Head to one of the many riverside restaurants and enjoy a delicious meal.
Drive your rental car beyond Shannon
From Shannon, Ireland, there are a number of great road trips where you can discover the beauty and history of this wonderful country. Here are some of the best of them:
The Ring of Kerry is a beautiful drive that takes you around the picturesque Iveragh Peninsula. You will see breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and rolling green hills as well as old castles and villages.
Another great option is the Burren National Park Loop Drive. This route takes you through the barren but beautiful limestone landscape of the Burren with its strange rock formations and rare plants.
If you are looking for a more coastal route, drive from Shannon to Galway. This drive takes you along the rugged Atlantic coast of Ireland with its wild cliffs and crashing waves.
If you want to explore Ireland's inland waters, Shannon is the perfect starting point for a cruise on the Shannon River. This relaxing journey takes you past picturesque villages, historic castles and stunning scenery.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Shannon
There are many great places to eat and drink in Shannon, Ireland. Some of the best restaurants include The Bakehouse, which serves delicious pizzas and pasta, and The Barge Inn, which is known for its traditional Irish cuisine. There are also many pubs in Shannon, including McCoys and McGanns, both of which serve good food and drinks. If you are looking for something a little more special, there are several excellent cafés in Shannon, such as Java Joe's and The Chocolate Garden. Whatever your taste, you will find something to enjoy in Shannon!
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Ireland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. In many European Union countries, a National ID is sufficient. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Ireland?
The minimum age to rent a car is 25 years old. With some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 2-8 years, depending on car rental companies. This information is visible in the Orbit search engine.
Do I need car rental insurance in Ireland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Ireland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Ireland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit Car Hire you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license when renting a car in Ireland?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I find the cheapest car in Ireland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period. You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Ford Ka and Opel Insignia often provide the best prices.
What is the best rental company in Ireland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, and Budget.
What types and makes of deals can I find in Ireland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Ford Ka, Ford Fiesta, Opel Insignia, and Nissan Qashqai.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage in Ireland?
Most car rentals in Ireland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Shannon 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Shannon
Best of Ireland