Car Hire in Basel
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Basel
Basel is located in Switzerland. It is the country's third-largest city, with approximately 200,000 people. Basel is known for its arts and culture scene and its universities and research institutes. The city is also home to several multinational companies, including Novartis and Roche. Basel is located on the Rhine River, and its port is one of the busiest in Europe. As a result, the city is a popular tourist destination. Its main attractions include the Basel Zoo, the Rhein promenade, and the old town.
Basic info and car hire in Basel
- Location: Switzerland
- Population: 171,017 (2017)
- Official language: German, Italian, French, Romansh
- Currency: Swizz franc
- Weather: The weather in Basel is usually mild, with average temperatures around 10 degrees Celsius. However, it can get quite cold in the winter, with temperatures sometimes dipping below freezing. In the summer, the weather is warm and pleasant, with average temperatures of around 20 degrees Celsius.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Basel are generally in good condition. However, there are some areas where the roads are in poor condition and potholes are common. These areas should be avoided if possible. In general, the roads in Basel are safe to drive on and there is no need to worry about road conditions.
- Car hire in Basel: There is plenty of car hire companies in Basel, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Basel's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Basel is the airport.
Driving in Basel
Basel is located in the northwest of Switzerland and is one of the country's largest cities. The city is well-known for its many museums and art galleries and its lively nightlife scene. Driving in Basel can be challenging at times, but overall it is a safe and enjoyable experience.
There are a few things to keep in mind when driving in Basel. First, the city has a strict policy on speeding and traffic violations. If you are caught speeding, you will likely be fined heavily. Second, parking can be challenging to find in Basel, so planning is essential. Finally, because Basel is located near the French border, it is essential to have your
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19 with Europcar. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. A Young/Senior Driver Fee of CHF 20.00 per day applies to drivers aged 19-25. With Enterprise and Alamo, the minimum age is 21.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not a European Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Children in the car: All children under the age of 12 must be properly secured in an approved child seat when travelling in a vehicle. There are a number of different types of child seats available, and it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your child's age, height and weight. If you are renting a car, you may be able to request a child seat from the rental company. Otherwise, you will need to bring your own.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: The recommended maximum speed on highways is 120 km/h. In urban areas, the maximum speed limit is 50 km/h. There are also a few roads with an 80 km/h limit and a few sections of motorway with a 100 km/h limit. The Swiss generally drive relatively slowly and carefully. Speeding is heavily penalized and there are many speed cameras in operation.
- Parking suggestions:
Car Hire in Basel
Most popular car hire at Basel
The most selected hire car in Basel is the Volkswagen Polo, with the Seat Ibiza and Renault Captur also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Basel are economy and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Basel
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Basel. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Switzerland.
- Basel - Zurich (88km, approx. 1,5-hour drive)
- Basel - Geneva (244km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Basel - Mulhouse (35,7km, approx. 30-min drive)
Popular day trips from Basel
Several popular day trips can be taken from Basel. Some of the most popular options include exploring the nearby city of Zurich, taking a scenic drive through the Swiss Alps, or visiting the picturesque town of Lucerne. However, no matter what your interests are, there will be a perfect day trip for you to enjoy from Basel.
What to see in Basel
Basel is a city located in Switzerland known for its culture and history. There are many things to see and do in Basel, including visiting the Basel Zoo, exploring the old city, and visiting the Museum of Natural History.
The Basel Zoo is one of the oldest zoos globally and is home to over 6,000 animals. The zoo also has a botanical garden with over 12,000 plants.
The old city of Basel is full of historic buildings and monuments. Some of the most popular tourist destinations in the old town include the Town Hall, Cathedral, and Tinguely Fountain.
The Museum of Natural History is one of the largest museums in Switzerland. The museum has exhibits on dinosaurs, animals, plants, and minerals.
Drive your rental car beyond Basel
Many popular road trips start from Basel. Some of the most popular ones include driving to the Swiss Alps, driving to Lake Constance, and Zurich. These road trips offer stunning scenery and plenty of opportunities for adventure.
Switzerland is home to some of the most beautiful mountain scenery globally. The Swiss Alps are a mecca for hikers, skiers, and nature lovers. A road trip through the Swiss Alps is the perfect way to take in all that this magnificent region offers.
Lake Constance is another popular destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Picturesque villages and towns surround this vast lake. It's the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland, and it's full of things to see and do. From world-class museums to lively nightlife, Zurich has something for everyone. A road trip to Zurich is the perfect way to experience all that this vibrant city offers.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Basel
Basel is known for its food and drink, especially its Swiss chocolate. Many different kinds of chocolate are available in Basel, from simple to very elaborate. The city is also home to several excellent restaurants serving traditional Swiss fare and international cuisine. In addition, Basel has several bars and clubs, making it a great place to enjoy a night out.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Switzerland?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Switzerland?
All car groups are available for renters between the ages of 21 - 80 except intermediate, standard, full size, premium, and luxury vehicles which are available for renters aged 25 and older. The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 80 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Switzerland?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Switzerland with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Switzerland?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Switzerland?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese).
How do I get the cheapest car in Switzerland?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can raise the closer to the travel period gets.
What is the cheapest rental car in Switzerland?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Volkswagen Polo and Hyundai i20 often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Switzerland?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, and Keddy Rent a Car.
What types and makes of rental car deals can I find in Switzerland?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Volkswagen Polo, Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus Wagon, and Opel Mokka.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Switzerland?
Most car rentals in Switzerland offer unlimited mileage in their offers.
Car Hire Locations in Basel 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Basel
Best of Switzerland