Car Hire in Geneva
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Geneva
Geneva is the second-most populous city in Switzerland. It is one of the world's major centres of international diplomacy, having served as headquarters for the International Committee of the Red Cross since 1864. Today, Geneva is a global city, ranked as an Alpha City by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. In 2014, Geneva was ranked as the seventh most expensive city globally, with Mercer Consultants ranking it above Zurich, and Geneva comes second on PwC's Cities of Opportunity Index. The town has many corporations, banks, and international organizations and is home to numerous international exhibitions and conferences. Geneva's popular tourist destination received 12 million visitors in 2012, which made it the ninth most visited city in Europe.
Basic info and car hire in Geneva
- Location: Switzerland
- Population: 198,979 (2017)
- Official language: German, Italian, French, Romansh
- Currency: Swizz franc
- Weather: The weather in Geneva, Switzerland is mild and sunny most of the year. The average temperature in the summer is around 22 degrees Celsius (72 degrees Fahrenheit), and in the winter it hovers around 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit). Precipitation is moderate, with an annual average of about 60 centimetres (24 inches). Snow is not uncommon in the winter months, but it usually doesn't stay on the ground for long. Geneva is a great place to visit any time of year.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants and cafes offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: The roads in Geneva are in excellent condition and are well-maintained. There is a good network of roads and highways that connect the city to the rest of Switzerland and Europe. Driving in Geneva is generally safe and easy, although there can be some congestion during rush hour. Snow and ice can make driving conditions more difficult in the winter, but the city is generally well-prepared for winter weather.
- Car hire in Geneva: There is plenty of car hire companies in Geneva, Switzerland, to choose from. You can find a list of Geneva's car hire companies on Orbit Car Hire. When hiring a car, it is essential to consider the cost of fuel and insurance. The fuel cost in Switzerland is expensive, so you may want to choose an economical car to run. Insurance premiums vary depending on the company, so it is essential to compare different quotes before making your final decision. The most popular location to rent a car in Geneva is at the airport.
Driving in Geneva
Geneva is a great place to drive, with well-maintained roads and few traffic jams. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when going in Geneva. One is that you must purchase a vignette or sticker, to drive on the highways. These can be purchased at gas stations throughout the city. Also, be aware that many of the streets in Geneva are very narrow, so take care when turning corners. Finally, remember that Geneva has a speed limit of 30 kilometres per hour in the city centre. Enjoy driving in Geneva!
- Age limits: Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 19 with Europcar. The maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 99. A Young/Senior Driver Fee of CHF 20.00 per day applies to drivers aged 19-25. With Enterprise and Alamo, the minimum age is 21.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving Licence if your National Driving Licence is not a European Driving Licence.
- Additional papers: You and all Additional Drivers must present a full valid original Driving Licence and the voucher or booking confirmation document when picking up the vehicle. If your Driving Licence has multiple parts, you must present all of them. All requirements apply to both you and any Additional Drivers.
- Additional requirements:
- Children in the car: According to the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, all children under the age of 12 must be properly secured in an approved child seat when travelling in a vehicle. There are a number of different types of child seats available, and it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your child's age, height and weight. If you are renting a car, you may be able to request a child seat from the rental company. Otherwise, you will need to bring your own.
- Driving side of the road: Right side
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: The general speed limit in Geneva, Switzerland is 50 km/h (31 mph), although this may differ depending on the specific road or area. In residential areas, the speed limit is generally 30 km/h (19 mph). Speed limits are typically posted and enforced by police. Drivers who exceed the posted speed limit may be subject to fines and other penalties.
- Parking suggestions: There are plenty of parking spaces in Geneva, but finding an empty one can be a challenge. The best way to find a spot is to use the Parky app or park by the river. If you're looking for a place to leave your car for a few hours, there are several paid parking garages located near the city centre.
Car Hire in Geneva
Most popular car hire at Geneva
The most selected hire car in Geneva is the Volkswagen Polo, with the Seat Ibiza and Renault Captur also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Geneva are economy and compact.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Geneva
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Geneva. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Switzerland.
- Geneva - Zürich (277km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Geneva - Basel (254km, approx. 3-hour drive)
- Geneva - Turin (291km, approx. 3,5-hour drive)
- Geneva - Lyon (149km, approx 2-hour drive)
Popular day trips from Geneva
There are many popular day trips from Geneva that visitors can enjoy. One of the most popular is a trip to Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Europe. Several charming villages located in the Alps make for a beautiful day trip, such as Gimmelwald and Gruyeres. For those looking for a more urban experience, Geneva is only a short train ride away from Lausanne, one of Switzerland's most vibrant cities. Finally, Bern, the Swiss capital, is well worth a visit for those interested in history and art.
What to see in Geneva
Geneva is a beautiful city located in the heart of Europe. It is known for its picturesque setting, cosmopolitan atmosphere, and international organizations. The city has something to offer everyone, whether you are looking for culture, history, or a beautiful place to relax. Below are some of the best things to see and do while Geneva.
Visit the Palace of Nations: The Palace of Nations is the headquarters of the United Nations and one of Geneva's most popular tourist destinations. Visitors can take a tour of the building, learn about the work of the UN, and see art from all over the world.
Explore Old Town: Old Town is the perfect place to wander and explore. There are many charming streets and alleyways to walk and several historical and cultural attractions.
Visit the Geneva Water Fountain: The Geneva Water Fountain is a beautiful fountain located in the middle of Lake Geneva. It is a popular spot for visitors and locals alike and offers a great view of the city.
Take a Boat Tour: If you want to see Geneva from another perspective, take a boat tour on Lake Geneva. You will see the city skyline, the Alps, and other nearby towns and villages.
Stroll Along with the Promenade des Bastions: The Promenade des Bastions is a popular walking path that runs along the edge of Lake Geneva. It offers beautiful views of the lake and the city skyline.
Visit the Botanical Gardens: The Botanical Gardens are a must-see for nature lovers. They contain over 26,000 plants from all over the world and several beautiful gardens and walking paths.
Marvel at the Architecture: Geneva is home to incredible architecture, from medieval churches to modern skyscrapers. Be sure to take the time to wander around and admire the buildings in the city centre.
Drive your rental car beyond Geneva
Some amazing road trips can be taken from Geneva, Switzerland. Here are a few of the best:
1. The Great St. Bernard Pass: This pass takes you through the Swiss Alps and into Italy. It is a stunning drive with plenty of places to stop and take in the views.
2. Lake Constance: This lake is shared by three countries (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) and offers some beautiful scenery. The drive around the lake is about 200km (120 miles), and there are plenty of stops along the way where you can enjoy the views or go for a swim.
3. The Matterhorn: The Matterhorn is one of the most iconic mountains globally, and a trip to see it is a must. The drive to the mountain is stunning, and once you reach the summit, you will be rewarded with some of the most amazing views imaginable.
These are just a few of the best road trips taken from Geneva, Switzerland. There are many other options available, so be sure to explore and find the trip that best suits your interests and needs.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Geneva
There are many great places to eat and drink in Geneva, Switzerland. Here are just a few of the best:
The Old Town: To taste the traditional, head to the Old Town. Here, plenty of cosy cafes and restaurants serve up Swiss classics like fondue and Raclette.
The Five Star Hotel Bars: If you're looking for something more luxurious, try one of the bars at Geneva's five-star hotels. The Windjammer Bar at the Hotel de la Paix is particularly popular, with its stunning views of Lake Geneva and the Jet d'Eau.
Caveau des Vignerons: This hidden gem is located in an old wine cellar beneath Rue de la Croix-Rouge. It's the perfect spot for a romantic dinner or drinks with friends.
Le Bar Rouge: For breathtaking views of the city, head to Le Bar Rouge on the top floor of the Radisson Blu Hotel. This trendy bar also has an outdoor terrace for enjoying the views in summer.
These are just a few of Geneva's many great places to eat and drink in. Whether you're looking for traditional Swiss fare or something more modern and luxurious, you'll find it here. Bon appetite!
What you need to know about renting a car
How do you make a booking with Orbit Car Hire?
You can easily book your vehicle with Orbit Car Hire. First, you must choose the date and location of your rental in our booking form. In the next step, you can pick the vehicle you want from the list. After filling out the personal information form, there is a step where you choose the payment method and fill in your credit card information. Finally, you can print out your voucher needed at pick-up time.
What are the charges for security deposits?
Every car rental has a security deposit policy. You will find the information about the security deposit while booking the vehicle or on your voucher.
What if I would like to change my booking?
How do I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking free of charge at least forty-eight hours before your rental is due to start. For further information, please read the Conditions of Use. Our customer service team will address your requests in due time:
- Phone:+44 20 8089 0089
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I pay for the rental car?
You pay a small deposit when making the booking as a guarantee. The remaining balance is paid when you pick up your rental vehicle. Please keep in mind that the payment at the counter is paid in local currency.
What is included in the price?
Most of the reservations made by Orbit Car Hire include unlimited mileage, local tax, mandatory fees, and collision damage waiver. In steps 1 and 2 in the booking process or on your voucher, you can see all the details about your booking inclusions.
Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden charges! All mandatory surcharges and fees are presented in the 3rd step of the booking process and our Terms and Conditions. Please note that additional charges may apply for some rentals in the case of:
- Out-of-hours surcharge (when picking up the vehicle outside of office hours),
- One-way fee (when returning the vehicle at a different location),
- The service charge for fuel (prepaid fuel policy),
- Young/senior driver fee (the car hire company sets this condition and is usually not about the regulation of the specific country),
- Excess and deposit amount (before hiring, you need to ensure your credit card limit is high enough for the deposit amount to be blocked, which usually equals the excess amount or higher).
We advise our clients to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before the rental to avoid surprises. Our knowledgeable customer service agents will gladly help you with any questions via phone, email, or live chat during our opening hours.
What is a voucher, and why do I need it?
A voucher is a document that confirms your booking, the price, and the payment of your booking. Having your voucher with you at the time of pick-up is mandatory. If you do not have the voucher at the pickup, the vehicle provider may refuse to release the vehicle to you or change the rental price.
What is an airport or premium location fee?
A Premium location/airport fee is a fee that covers the location service costs. This fee is usually included in the price but may still occur at some locations and is charged locally.
What is Premium Coverage, and how does it work?
Premium Coverage is an optional service by Orbit Car Hire that, if accepted, covers your financial accountability for damage or theft to the hired vehicle. This is not insured with a car hire company that reduces the excess amount, but a cover refunds you if the car hire company charges you for damage or theft. With this option, you will be reimbursed up to 3000 EUR. You can read the Terms and Conditions or contact us for more information.
How do I find cheap car hire online?
Prices vary frequently. Booking a car 3 to 8 weeks before your desired pick-up date is best - this will ensure you get the cheapest rental rate. Alternatively, it is also possible to find cheap last-minute car hire.
How many countries do you compare to?
We at Orbit Car Hire compare car hire prices in over 140 countries, including popular destinations within Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Iceland, Croatia, Malta, France, Slovenia, and Germany.
What currency should I use to pay for the car?
You can pay the confirmation fee on Orbit's page in EUR, GBP, ISK and USD. When you pick up your car hire, you will pay the remaining balance in the currency of the pickup country.
Can I rent a car from inside the terminal?
You can hire a car from inside the terminal. When you compare our offers, you can filter "In Terminal" to see all the offers we have that are inside the terminal.
What is the cheapest car to rent?
The cheapest car to rent is the Fiat 500, Volkswagen Up and Fiat Panda.
Can I add a driver to my booking?
You can always add a driver to your booking when finding your car hire deal on Orbit Car Hire. If you have already made a booking, you can contact us to add the additional driver. You can also add a driver to your booking when you pick up the vehicle.
What payment methods are accepted?
You can pay with a debit and credit card when booking with Orbit Car Hire. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
Can I drop off my car at a different location?
Yes, you can. When you look for car hire deals on our webpage, you can press "Yes" to "Different drop-off location" and see all the best deals for one-way car hire.
How can I add a flight number to my booking?
You can add a flight number on our webpage when booking. If you already have a booking, email us at email@example.com, and our customer service will add your flight number to the booking.
Do I have to pay for toll roads?
If you drive where toll roads are required, you are responsible for paying for the toll roads on which you drive the rental vehicle.
What does deductible mean?
If a rental car is damaged or even stolen while on rent, there will be a limit to how much the renter has to pay to repair or fix it. Excess (also known as deductible) is a name for the amount that has to be paid. This excess is different between countries and car rental companies in each country. Depending on the car rental company, this can include fire, vandalism, theft, or loss of use while the car is being repaired. You can read more about deductibles right here.
What is a Collision Damage Waiver?
Collision Damage Waiver, or CDW, is a basic car rental insurance offered to renters by a car company. CDW limits your financial liability in case of damages to the body of the hired vehicle with an excess. The driver is responsible for paying for the excess, but the car rental company waives the rest of the cost. This excess can be different between rent a car company.
What is Theft Protection?
Theft Protection is a car rental insurance that car rental companies offer. It protects the renter up to a certain amount from the risk of stealing the rental car or somebody trying to steal it. An excess, also known as a deductible, comes with each Theft Protection. This excess is the limit to what the renter would have to pay if the car is stolen or if somebody tries to steal it.
Which brands can I compare with Orbit?
With Orbit Car Hire, you can compare car hire with all the major car rentals like Europcar, Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt and Budget. You can also compare over 100 local companies from all over the world.
Car Hire Locations in Geneva 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Geneva
Best of Switzerland