Car Hire in Innsbruck
Find your car rental
Cheap car hire deals in Innsbruck
Innsbruck is a beautiful city in the Alps, with breathtaking mountain views, wonderful architecture and good shopping. Innsbruck's history can be seen in its magnificent buildings. Innsbruck is also easy to reach from the Austrian capital Vienna, with regular trains and buses running there. The city is a popular tourist destination because of its natural beauty and ski resorts.
Basic info and car hire in Innsbruck
- Location: Innsbruck is the capital of Austria’s western state of Tyro
- Population: 311.428 (2020)
- Official language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Weather: The climate in Innsbruck is temperate continental, with cold winters and warm summers.
- Internet coverage: Hotels, bars, restaurants, and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Austria is a highly developed and stable country, with an excellent network of roads.
- Car hire in Innsbruck: With a rental car in Innsbruck you can explore all of Austria's beautiful landscape and cities. The most popular pickup location is at the Innsbruck airport.
Driving in Innsbruck
Driving in Innsbruck can be fun, but it can also be quite stressful. At rush hour, traffic jams are frequent on the city's main roads. Car parks in the city centre are often overcrowded and finding a parking space can take some time. Bike lanes are common throughout the city, especially in the central parts. Most main roads have dedicated cycle lanes away from car traffic or separate cycle lanes, marked either by painted lines or small signs with a drawing of a bicycle on two arrows pointing left and right where the lane begins and ends.
When renting a car, read the fine print in the contract about where you are allowed to take the car. Many rental companies prohibit drivers from taking rental cars to Eastern European countries. If you do this anyway and get caught, the consequences are extreme. Speed limits are 30 to 50km/h inside built-up areas, 100km/h outside built-up areas, and 130km/h on motorways.
In winter, roads in alpine areas can become dangerous due to snow, ice, and avalanches. Some mountain roads may be closed for extended periods. Between November 1 and April 15, the use of winter tires is mandatory. All-season tires meet the requirements if they are marked M S and have at least 4 mm of the tread. In addition, the local police may prescribe snow chains during or after heavy snowfall.
- Age limits: The minimum age to drive a car in Austria is 18 years. However, most car rental companies require you to be at least 21 to rent a car and at least 25 years to avoid paying an additional young driver fee.
- International Driving Permit: Yes, if you are a non-EU license holder.
- Additional papers: Identification(passport), a valid driving license, and valid proof of insurance. (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency in case your policy doesn't cover you while driving in Austria)
- Additional requirements: Reflective jackets (in case of breakdown on all main routes), warning triangle, first aid kit, headlight deflectors (depending on the vehicle, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the light beam manually).
- Children in the car: If you are travelling with children under 12 or less than 135cm tall, you are required by law to have a child seat in your car. If you do not have your own, most car rental companies will provide one for a fee. However, it is advisable to request such a seat before collecting the vehicle, otherwise one may not always be available.
- Driving side of the road: Right Side.
- Lights: Check that all lights are working, clean, and correctly aimed.
- General speed limits: Speed limits are 30 to 50km/h inside built-up areas, 100km/h outside built-up areas, and 130km/h on motorways.
- Parking suggestions: Car parks in the city centre are often overcrowded and finding a parking space can take some time.
Car Hire in Innsbruck
Most popular car hire at Innsbruck
The most selected hire car in Innsbruck is the Volkswagen Polo, with the Opel Astra and Volkswagen Golf also being a popular options. The most popular car types in Innsbruck are mini and economy.
Renting a minivan in Innsbruck is ideal for larger groups. You can hire a car with up to 9 seats and large luggage space, similar to the Volkswagen Transporter.
Popular Driving Routes
Popular One-Way car hire from Innsbruck
Want to rent a car for a one-way trip? No worries! Orbit Car Hire offers a variety of one-way Car Hire options in many locations outside of Innsbruck. One-way car rental is ideal for cross-town or cross-country travel, saving time by not returning to your original location. Start your reservation with Orbit Car Hire and find great options on one-way car hire at locations across the Austria.
- Innsbruck - Vienna (476km, approx. 5-hour drive)
- Innsbruck - Salzburg (187km, approx. 2,5-hour drive)
- Innsbruck - Munich (162km, approx. 2-hour drive)
- Innsbruck - Ljubljana (447km, approx 5-hour drive)
What to see in Innsbruck
Innsbruck is a beautiful city in the Austrian Alps. It is located very close to the border between Italy and Germany and between two different rivers: the Sill and the Inn. Innsbruck is very famous for its spectacular mountain scenery - the Nordkette can be seen from almost everywhere in the city. A must-see nearby is the Bergisel ski jump with an impressive tower from which you have an incredible view of Innsbruck and its surroundings. For those who are more interested in culture than nature, Innsbruck offers a number of museums as well as historical buildings worth seeing, such as castles and churches, and many green spaces for those who enjoy being outdoors.
Drive your rental car beyond Innsbruck
There are many great road trips possible from Innsbruck, here we have noted our top 3 road trips from Innsbruck that is ideal in all seasons throughout the year.
1) If you drive along with the spectacular mountain panoramas of the Alps, you will reach many of Italy's most beautiful regions. These are usually accessible by car from Innsbruck.
2) The UNESCO World Heritage Site "Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut" is also relatively easy to reach from Innsbruck. The drive to Hallstatt takes about an hour via the A10 Tauern motorway and then on via Bad Ischl and Steeg before you finally reach Hallstatt itself.
3) To reach Bolzano, it is best to first take the scenic route over the Brenner Pass, whose long history dates back to Roman times. This pass leads south towards South Tyrol and further down into northern Italy.
Where to eat, drink, and party in Innsbruck
Innsbruck has a variety of places to eat and drink. In general, the city offers a nice selection of restaurants for all types of meals and price ranges.
On Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays it is sometimes difficult to find a seat in these restaurants as they are very popular with the locals. It might be wise to book a table in advance.
There are also several bars, bistros and cafés where you can have a drink. There are also many restaurants with outdoor seating in the summer, especially in Schanzlgasse, which turns into a large, lively square on warm evenings.
What you need to know about renting a car
What do I need to rent a car in Austria?
A credit card in the name of the main driver needs to be presented. A security deposit may be required while renting a car so the credit card must have sufficient funds. You can find details about the security deposit listed while booking the vehicle as well as on your voucher. It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies.
An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese). It can also depend on the country or car rental company you are renting with. If you have found a car on our website, you can press the rental terms link from the supplier for more information about driving license requirements. You will need to have identification with you such as a passport and ID cards. When you pick up your rental car you need to have your voucher with you.
How old do I need to be to rent a car in Austria?
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old and with some suppliers for people over 75 years of age, you must also have held a driving license for a minimum of 12 months. Young driver surcharges may apply to many car rental companies for people under 25 years of age. This information is visible in the search engine with Orbit Car Hire.
Do I need car insurance in Austria?
Insurances are very important when renting a car and can be different between countries. When renting a car in Austria with Orbit Car Hire the prices will include mandatory insurances in the country.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Austria?
In most cases, a credit card is required to be presented in the name of the main driver. A security deposit may be required when renting a car so it is important to have sufficient funds on the credit card. When searching for a car at Orbit you can see credit card requirements from all our suppliers.
Do I need an international driving license in Austria?
It is important to have a valid driving license with the name of the main driver as well as additional drivers when it applies. An International Driving Permit is required in addition to a National Driving License if the National Driving License you or any of the Additional Drivers hold is not clearly identifiable as a Driving License, eg, it is in a non-Latin alphabet (eg Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese)
How do I get the cheapest car hire in Austria?
You can find cheap car hire by comparing prices with all major car rentals at Orbit Car Hire. A good idea can be to book in advance as the prices can increase closer to the travel period.
What is the cheapest rental car in Austria?
You will find the mini car category or economy cars to be the cheapest car categories. Vehicles such as Skoda Citigo and Opel Astra often provide the best prices.
What is the best car rental company in Austria?
You may find excellent service provided by companies such as Enterprise rent a car, Alamo, National, Europcar, Keddy, and SurPrice car rentals.
What types and makes of rental cars deals can I find in Austria?
You will find car types such as mini, economy, compact, Full-Size, and luxury cars. Popular rental cars are Opel Astra, Volkswagen Golf, Opel Astra Sports Tourer and Renault Kadjar.
Does my rental car have unlimited mileage when I book it for Austria?
Most car rentals in Austria offer unlimited mileage in their offers
Can I take my hire car from Austria to Germany?
Yes, you can. However, you need to talk to your agent at arrival about that as a cross-border fee may apply.
Car Hire Locations in Innsbruck 1 location(s) found
Find The Best Car Hire Companies In Innsbruck
Best of Austria